View Single Post
Old 15th June 2019, 12:14 AM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 
Boy do I have mixed feelings on this. First off, I don't post on the RWP as often as I once did, so I'm going to give a quick summary of my thoughts of "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" as well as my thoughts on Banjo & Kazooie appearing in it. I think "Ultimate" is a lazy, gimped port of "Wii U". I could go on and on about it, but I just don't feel like it right now.

Anyways, Banjo & Kazooie are in "Smash"! That's awesome, but them being DLC? That's not awesome. I don't think a game like "Ultimate" needs DLC in the first place because it's just a port of the 3DS/Wii U games with a bloated roster. They decided to remove or gimp every Single Player mode, bring back useless characters, joke characters, and added clone characters to warrant that $60 price tag. It really shouldn't be called "Ultimate" if removes/gimps content AND has DLC. I'm not buying "Ultimate" and I'm not forking over extra money for characters that should have been in the game for, like, 15 years now.

The Banjo-Kazooie content looks horrible. I already hate the lighting on the characters ever since it was announced at E3 and I hate that they skimped out on Donkey Kong's fur. Banjo and Kazooie look...off. Banjo's upper torso is huge, his head reminds me of mouse's head (maybe it's the ears, I don't know). Banjo's fur was removed just like Donkey Kong's. Kazooie is pink instead of red, which I presume is from new lighting engine. I also hate that the Wonder Wing move has a meter of some sort. Why does every character need a gimmick? Some extra rule to memorize or keep track of while playing? I hate Little Mac's Power Meter, Robin's limited tome and sword, Shulks Menardo Arts, Cloud Strife's Limit Meter, Inkling's limited ink, King K. Rool's belly armor breaking, and a SUB-MENU for Dragon Quest's hero! Who on earth is going to squint their eyes to look at a tiny menu near their Damage Percentage in a game like "Super Smash Bros."? It's madness I tell you!

Spiral Mountain looks terrible.

It looks like just slapped a Skyward Sword watercolor filter over a fan-made HD texture mod.

I can't find a picture of it, but Bottles looks like uncanny-valley levels of creepiness, with his arms waving around like an amusement park animatronic.

The stage itself looks tiny. In the trailer, you can see the camera swivel around the mountain (which I assume is the gimmick - it looks like all DLC Stages will have some unique gimmick to them).

I don't get why they didn't just port the Nuts & Bolts model. The landscape looks better and the mountain itself is bigger, giving the characters more footing to move around on.

I hate to be that guy, but yeah...I have legendarily high standards for video games. Probably because I grew up with "Banjo-Tooie" (which in my mind is perfection). To me video games need a lot of Single Player content for me to sink my teeth into (something "Smash" hasn't had since "Brawl"). I don't support DLC, Updates, Digital Games, or any other form of 'temporary content', because why would I spend money on something that isn't permanent? I only buy completed physical games: "ARMS" and "Mario Tennis Aces" are not finished in my mind, but "Mario Kart 8 Deluxe" and "Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition" are.

I'm okay with temporary digital content as long as it eventually makes it's way onto a physical piece of media. If they made a "Breath of the Wild" or "Smash Bros. Ultimate" Game-of-the-Year Edition, then I'll pick them up. I get the appeal of going digital-only, but I seem to have hardware and software problems all the time. I think a digital-only future sounds terrible as you won't be able to buy something and actually OWN it. I especially hate all of these cloud-based and subscription-based services everyone is doing now-a-days. I'm not too keen about Online shopping either, because you won't know what you'll get until it arrives.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I like to buy something and actually hold it in my hands.

Last edited by TRBB; 15th June 2019 at 12:32 AM.