View Single Post
Old 24th January 2011, 08:12 PM
Most Intelligent Member ('08 - '09)

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic Mario View Post
Well I guess i'm just an idiot ignore me.

edit: You know what? No. NO. F**k you, I know what i'm talking about, God dammit. If assets from the original game were reused, you can't say it's "built from the ground up," because it's not. They took the game and rebuilt it to work in 3D. Super Mario 64 DS was a REMAKE of Super Mario 64. They didn't take the original game and re-tweak it to work on the DS, they made something entirely new. So if they can take the original Ocarina of Time and make it work for the 3DS, it opens up the possibility of N64 emulation. Here you are, declaring that you can't, when in all honesty NONE OF US have even HELD a 3DS yet.

edit #2: If it seems like i'm angry, i'm not. I'm just trying to prove a point here.
Ok, we can get mean.

First off, **** you.

Second off, yes, you are an idiot, not because you don't know anything about programming and hardware infrastructure, but because when someone who DOES know tells you why you're wrong, you refuse to listen to it, and in turn become argumentative towards your fail of a point.

The Assets that are re-used to make games like Mario 64 DS and OOT 3D are things like map geometry, character models, some textures, and audio. These things are called Assets, they are not code, they are not the engine, they are not any part of the actual coding that makes the game work, they are just assets used BY the games code.

Of course they re used things like map geometry, thats how they make it still the same game, they reuse animations and character models, but, usually apply new skins and textures to these things. Most of the time bits of audio assets are reused, unless the soundtrack is redone to be of a higher quality.

As for the GAME itself, the code, the engine, the building blocks that make the game work, those are all redone. Sometimes the engine can be reused when remaking a game, but even if it is it almost has to be completely rewritten.

I'll explain this in a way that you might understand. Say you wanted to send someone grocery shopping for you. This person has no ability to think for themselves, you have to give them EXTREMELY explicit instructions, and they only understand one language, english. You send them to the grocery store with specific english instructions and they will come back with what you wanted, now send that person to a totally different store with spanish instructions, and they will never get the job done as you intended.

That's what it's like if you tried to just "copy" a game from one platform to another. Most consoles use a specific coding language, and the hardware is all designed and structured differently. Games will never work well if you just slap them into foreign hardware, especially if the hardware is vastly different. So, no, taking an n64 game and putting it on the 3DS would just not work, putting together an emulator that can manage to translate all these hardware differences for EVERY n64 game ever made is a difficult thing to do, if it's even possible to do it perfectly, considering people have a hard time with it on Wii, I can see it being an issue on the 3DS.

Like I said, compare some multi plat games from xbox to ps3.

Also, **** You Again. All I'm trying to do is explain something to you.