View Single Post
Old 9th September 2013, 08:46 PM
Clanker

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatNi View Post
Somebody back me up on this one, but that isn't a RENDER. It's artwork...right? So if you're like me and came here for new beta stuff, lucked out my friend...
They're digital renders that were used for promotional art. The N64 actually would've been able to display images pretty close to what we're discussing, but they would've had to have been prerendered images, rather than whatever the opposite of prerendered is. Prerendered images are essentially pictures/animations/videos saved within the ROM that the system accesses rather than creates. Rareware pioneered the use of prerendered graphics with the Donkey Kong Country Trilogy in order to push the graphical limits of the SNES. Though games still used prerendered graphics in the age of the N64 (Mario Kart and Killer Instinct), they were largely reserved for small details, menus and cutscenes because newly achievable polygons were infinitely more dynamic.

Also, none of these images are new to me; I had both the Prima and Nintendo Power Player's Guides, which used these images heavily.