View Single Post
Old 8th June 2019, 07:18 PM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
Scrollin' 'er down.

Nevermind the whole will-post-in-autumn thing, that was a dumb declaration. I experience more fun by letting myself speculate here every time I find out about something new.

Heard about the Pokémon Direct the day after it happened. Don't have any real clue what was in it but I guess they showed gameplay. Heard that wandering Pokémon are now to be found in specific locations....whatever that means. I know for a fact the games are called Sword and Shield now. Getting Shield, because I've never held a weapon in my life and I am a pansy.

Found out they revealed at least 3 new Pokémon, possibly more. Found out about the sheep, via a meme. Apparently people are trying to sex it.

AW IT'S CUTE!!!

Don't know its name, but I'm gonna say....Fairy Type? This meme doesn't have color, so it's harder to guess. I thought this was the Grass starter at first, but if that were the case its wool would probably look more like a garden hedge or something. I'm saying it's Fairy because my God is it cute, but also because I know that cotton candy is called fairy floss in some parts of the world, hence Swirlix being a thing. So it might be a play on that. Lil' pink sheep with cottony sweet wool.
My only other guess would be that this is just a Normal Type with very white wool, as Normal is the white bread of the Types. (shots fired.) But I don't think they'd just make a completely regular sheep into a Pokémon, especially since Mareep already exists, unless there was some kind of interesting spin on it. Methinks.... It has tiny little horns, so I speculate that either the males have bigger horns and look more like rams, or its going to get bigger and fiercer when it evolves, like most Pokémon do. No offence to my pal Ampharos but hopefully this sheep doesn't turn into a nudist/stripper when it evolves.

This sheep, the Fire hare I found out about, and the next Pokémon are all just making me assume that Galar is in fact British, at least until I have a reason not to. These are all super stereotypical British animals. Sheep have a lot of folklore behind them, but I wonder if this one draws inspiration specifically from Christianity, considering this is Britain, followers of the Good Shepherd.

And then the last thing I found out about was a Pokémon's name: Corviknight. Gonna go ahead and assume this is corvus meaning a raven, + knight/night. The only thing I can picture is a raven in a suit or armor, but this seems completely random and a little dumb to me. So I hope the Pokémon designers are more creative than I am.
I guess those old timey knight helmets had pointy faces that would work for a bird, and some had feathery helmet tops, so maybe there's something there. If this is a British raven I'd expect it to draw on the fact that ravens are supposedly animals of ill omen that are associated with death, and with witchcraft -- exactly what Murkrow already is. They must be going a different route with this.

What does it look like? What Type is it? They won't make another Dark/Flying raven. Is it Dark/Steel, and its armor makes it too heavy to fly? They could go the super unexpected route and make it a Fighting Type, playing on the whole war and gore theme, but Pokémon's Fighting Types are usually just martial artists instead of bloodthirsty warriors. Actually now that I think of it, is a Ghost Type? That would make a lot of sense since ravens are shadowy carnage birds, but they sorta did basically the same thing last Gen with Decidueye. And what use is metal armor if you're a ghost that can phase through material objects anyway? Is it Ghost/Flying? Ghost/Steel? Is it not a bird wearing armor at all? Am I getting anywhere in the ballpark range of what this Pokémon is?

Suppose I'll have to wait for the games' release to find out..

Last edited by qwertykins76; 8th June 2019 at 07:23 PM.