Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop

Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop SNS? Bottle's Revenge? Share your thoughts on the mysteries of the Banjo series and discuss the new Stop 'n' Swop features in Nuts and Bolts and the XBLA games

Old 21st August 2003, 12:38 PM
Davros

Post A list

Since I have no hacking ability to speak, nor any hacking equipment, I have decided to follow the Hercule Poirot approach to mysteries; Let the detectives rush around and find clues, and I will sit back and use 'The little grey cells of the mind' and try and divine an answer in that way.
Thus I (and, I hope any like minded people) am going to compile a list of unexplained occurences in both games and see if any kind of pattern or meaning emerges.

1. Stop 'n' Swop; Three (I think) items, two eggs and the ice key are shown to you as a reward at the end of Banjo-Kazooie, and we were promised access not only to them, but to the old worlds, or at least relevant bits of them. Instead we get puny bouncing game packs, and items which are physically too small and provide inferior rewards.
I can't remember which eggs were shown in the BK end sequence. This could be important.

2. More Items?; Before BT came out hackers not only found ways to get the original items, but found more eggs as well. Why hadn't Rare mentioned these? When any of the items were collected a new screen was added to the pause menu, the Stop 'n' Swop screen. items on the menu spun around, but were observed to spin more quickly at diffeent times and in different places. This seems to be random, but it is theorized that they spinning could be used to detect other SnS items.
Also the Sandcastle codes were detected at this time allowing people to get the items by supposedly legitimate means. However a lack of grand movies suggests that these codes are debug codes, not legitimate at all.
It might be helpful for someone who knows to make out a timeline of when the various codes (gameshark and debug) were discovered, when the extra eggs where discovered and so on.

That's a long enough post for the time being. Feel free to add to it, including the other mysteries, any rumours, and any conclusions you come to.

Last edited by Davros; 21st August 2003 at 01:08 PM.

Old 21st August 2003, 12:55 PM
Nick98

Quote:
1. Stop 'n' Swop; Three (I think) items, two eggs and the ice key are shown to you as a reward at the end of Banjo-Kazooie, and we were promised access not only to them, but to the old worlds, or at least relevant bits of them. Instead we get puny bouncing game packs, and items which are physically too small and provide inferior rewards.
Well... I don't really remember Mumbo EVER saying that we should get access to them in the next game the same way it shows in the pictures. I remember him saying, however, that the eggs and the key are(Or were) to be in the next game(BT).

As for the Colours they were Pink and (Dark)Blue.

Quote:
2. More Items?; Before BT came out hackers not only found ways to get the original items, but found more eggs as well. Why hadn't Rare mentioned these?
Well... it is obvious why they didn't mention them - They wanted it to be a surprise.

Old 21st August 2003, 01:00 PM
Davros

I just though of a couple more to write down before I forget;

3. Egg weirdness; Looking at the screenshots accompanying the codes on the RWP site, I noticed that only the eggs mumbo shows you are actually hidden somewhere. Pink in Sharkfood island, and Blue in Gobi's desert. All the others (apart from the one in the barrel in MMM) just appear floating on things...why not hide them in some definite object as well. And if they're not hidden, then where do they come from?

4. More egg weirdness: In banjo-kazooie mumbo shows 3 pictures; the ice key, the pink egg and the blue egg from gobi's valley. In BT they give you FOUR of the secret items, the key, the pink and blue eggs, and yellow one we weren't meant to know about. If they'd only given us the secrets we'd been shown you could say we should have been patient, but since we hacked the game and found out more than we should have done Rare were punishing us by giving us only what we should know. If they put all the secret items from BK in that would be fine too...but why do we have either one extra or three less than we should have?

Old 21st August 2003, 01:07 PM
Davros

Mumbo didn't say that, but I seem to remember something official with that meaning being on the rare website. Which of course I can't check now since they changed it and went over to microsoft. It was that or it was something like 'players will be able to go back to Banjo-Kazooie and get these items'. I think the phrase was dissected mercilessly on these very forums and taken mean that certain areas from BK would be available in BT after some special event happened.
And if they wanted it to be a suprise why show anyone the eggs at all, although, deep down I agree with you and I can see what they were thinking.
Still thats what this thread is for, discussion, debate and disection. Keep up the good work Nick 98!

Old 28th August 2003, 12:46 AM
Clanker

Quote:
4. More egg weirdness: In banjo-kazooie mumbo shows 3 pictures; the ice key, the pink egg and the blue egg from gobi's valley. In BT they give you FOUR of the secret items, the key, the pink and blue eggs, and yellow one we weren't meant to know about. If they'd only given us the secrets we'd been shown you could say we should have been patient, but since we hacked the game and found out more than we should have done Rare were punishing us by giving us only what we should know. If they put all the secret items from BK in that would be fine too...but why do we have either one extra or three less than we should have?
how do you know we were only to obtain 7 items? in summary, this is what I think happened:

after completing about half of the SNS coding ( with some of the coding in process) they ask nintendo/nintendo finds out about a hot swapping tecniqe used with a built in microchip that pretains data for 30 seconds. since Nintendo dosn't agree with the process that might harm the chip, they ask them to delete the funtion. Some remains still exist from finished programming not wanting to be deleted due to thinking no one would find it and might react with bugs to other options.

but thats my opinion.

edit: isn't discussions like these at least 3 years old?
Member since 2001. Don't believe the lies. I remember the great shut down event of the forums... all them long months of horrific silence... until forums version 3 came out! *rocks in chair* punch anyone? ;P

Old 28th August 2003, 06:20 AM
Bunnycomb

Some good ideas Darvos.

Old 28th August 2003, 11:06 AM
Glowbo

It does seem a good idea at the time for that kinda thing to happen. But if they would the thing that Gameshark uses then maybe they'd had a chance at this.

Old 28th August 2003, 02:10 PM
Davros

Three years old or not something could still come to light, it hardly compares but Ice and so on only found the test map BK the other day.
And platinum jiggy, my point is that Rare have provided (in BT) either MORE secrets than we were MEANT to know about, or LESS than actually exist. It just seems strange to me.

Old 28th August 2003, 03:06 PM
Bunnycomb

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros
Three years old or not something could still come to light, it hardly compares but Ice and so on only found the test map BK the other day.
And platinum jiggy, my point is that Rare have provided (in BT) either MORE secrets than we were MEANT to know about, or LESS than actually exist. It just seems strange to me.
That is a good point that you made there.

Old 28th August 2003, 06:39 PM
Davros

Aha, the old braincells are clanging together at last. Always it's more likely that we'll find something new simply by re examing the things we already know because there are always a hundred new ways to think about something, while anything important buried within the game's data will be so deep it will be very hard if not impossible to find. Maybe.

Old 28th August 2003, 08:50 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros
What Test Map?

Old 28th August 2003, 10:14 PM
Formerly Banjo's Banjo

Total Awards: 2
Awesome Default Medal RWP Note Medal 
Quote:
Originally posted by Isaac2
What Test Map?
http://www.rarewitchproject.com/bktestmap.shtml

That test map.

Old 29th August 2003, 12:37 AM
Clanker

I'm glad that a new banjo game is comming out because now we actually have something to talk about banjo wise. because I remmember that for a few months, boards about banjo were REALLY boring.

BTW Davros, you reminded me of something that happened 20 minutes ago....

I was playing bK because I was bored and it's a fun game. then I looked at the SNS eggs on the items page, and something looked strange. a green, yellow, pink, cyan, blue, and red egg were there. Then somehow Yoshis story came to mind and thats when it hit me. all six of those eggs are EXACTLY the same color as the six yoshis in Yoshis Story!!

so....

since theres space besides the ice key, there is room for two more eggs.( thats if you put them between and below the two eggs above.) Which could be secret eggs like the black and white yoshis in Yoshis story!!

I also thought of this from all the info pouring out of DK 64 lately about a connection. So what if it's really DK64 AND YS that could connect to bk! That would be awsome!

but this would have to take away the Idea of the fire key. But you know, the black and white eggs could be part of the information that freezes the game so there could be hope that at one time a black and white egg exists.

So what if you swaped the eggs from YS to BK INSTEAD of BT to BK???

I could be wrong about this but it can't be a coincidence. ( even though it probably is.) But I think someone should hack YS just to be sure. I mean you never know what you could find. or check Bk again or something. I don't know. I just think I might have something even though it might just be a color coincidence. or maybe they did have an idea like that at one time???
Member since 2001. Don't believe the lies. I remember the great shut down event of the forums... all them long months of horrific silence... until forums version 3 came out! *rocks in chair* punch anyone? ;P

Old 29th August 2003, 08:37 PM
Davros

Well it's an original idea, certainly. I'm not sure when the two games came out in relation to each other, but it seems to me that this could be a tad unlikely. I'm not dismissing (I'm really not) but my (admittedly minor) experience of game programming teams leads to me beleive they would have a job on their hands to cooperate with each other in a complicated thing like this. And what reason do the Yoshi team have to do something like that at what is, really, the mere whim of Rare.
Still, a new mystery for my list;
Gruntilda WHAT?; In the final sequence of BT, in fact at the very end of the boss battle a suprisingly, very very suprisingly, big deal is made out of Gruntilda's last name; Winkybunion. Why? It's repeated again and again to great hilarity among the game characters, but to the complete and utter mystification of players. And while we're on the subject the whole ending is wierd. First everyone is brought back to life and runs away to barricade themselves in Bottles house and not congratulate you. Then you defeat Grunty, and arrive too late to the party, only to find no food and no fun, so you return to the desolate top of Grunty's tower (???!!) and play football, or soccer depending on your preference with the witches head. Then there's a wierd bit with a UFO and Gruntilda says something silly about Banjo Threeie.
To me it seemed like an alternative ending for people who hadn't done as well in the game as others. A kind of booby prize. So far all this has led me to discover is a nagging feeling that I've missed something fundamental in the game.
If anyone is near to the end of the game, I'd be obliged if they could post a detailed description of notable events and dialogue from the tower of tradegy onwards.