Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 7th March 2010, 10:28 PM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyke4995
So going by that, they didn't simply replace the gold coin textures with the banana ones (This would seem easier than making another object).
And then looking further down the list...ProAM64?!
This is just an image mod so it doesn't actually change the functionality of the flame. The bananas and coins probably share the same object value. If you want, I can locate an object mod real quick for you guys to go through.

Also, ProAM64 seems to be the original title screen logo.

Old 7th March 2010, 10:34 PM
Formerly Spyke4995

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Rarity Chatterbox SteamLink Verified 
That would certainly help!

Right, current plans-Find a way to replace the current title with the ProAM64 one, swap bananas for Rare coins, swap N64 flags for Rare coins, swap the current blue and red item images, remove the ping sound when you get an item, and dream about owning the actual beta.

I replaced the warning screen after selecting a character with a small release info screen too.

Last edited by Alice; 7th March 2010 at 10:36 PM.

Old 8th March 2010, 05:39 PM
Formerly Spyke4995

Right, while messing with the 2D image modifier, value 0x000B gave me the map I have included in the attachments. Looking through my DKR guide that my brother got with '64 Solutions' Magazine, I can't seem to see this map on any of the level guides within it. This map also has no checkered start line.

EDIT: And finally, at offset 0x005F, we have the ProAM64 title! Images attached.
Attached Images
File Type: png UnknownMap.png (38.7 KB, 155 views)
File Type: png ProAM64.png (3.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: png ProAM64Bigger.png (4.1 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by Alice; 8th March 2010 at 08:11 PM.

Old 8th March 2010, 09:12 PM
Glowbo

Judging from how rectangular one portion of the track looks, it could possibly be a lost Future Fun Land track...or not.

Aside from 0x000B, there are two other 2D image values with beta maps. Runehero listed one (0x0007), but 0x0009 is another one!
Images of both are attached.
Attached Images
File Type: png unused_map_0007.png (15.4 KB, 129 views)
File Type: png unused_map_0009.png (24.9 KB, 112 views)

Old 8th March 2010, 09:20 PM
Formerly Spyke4995

Oh yes. I looked at those, but didn't think much of them as I thought they where final tracks-I feel dumb now, how'd I miss the fact that there was no start line? So that's three beta/unused tracks right there. Well, maps anyway.

Anyway, this stuff is quite interesting. Not sure if this is already known (Probably is, but oh well) using a memory editor, you can change what you type to activate codes, for instance, to unlock T.T you type something like '0628361562' but numbers cannot be typed from Magic Codes, so I replaced it with 'CCCCCCCCCC' and it worked.

EDIT:Looking through that guide, I can't find those two maps either, further proving their beta/unusedness.

Last edited by Alice; 8th March 2010 at 09:27 PM.

Old 10th March 2010, 04:02 AM
Glowbo

Hey, I replaced the bannanas with the beta gold coins.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...10snap0036.jpg

You can also collect them like bannanas but in the beta video, it sounded like that too I think.

Old 10th March 2010, 07:51 AM
Formerly Spyke4995

How'd we manage to do that at the same time? Regardless though, good work. Just need to sort the banana icon at the top of the screen to complete that.

Old 11th March 2010, 07:41 AM
Glowbo

I found it in hex, amazing that you can read most of the names of the objects in the list in hex I think. But I couldn't find any names for the maps?

Yeah, I need to replace that bannana but I cant figure out away to replace it. It could be a texture only so I need to find a texture mod. But it may not be the same as the objects I replaced. For now, we will just need to use a plugin that replace textures.

Old 11th March 2010, 07:49 AM
Formerly Spyke4995

Maps will be in with all the textures, but I'm having no luck finding them. That 'Gold Coin' object seems to have something to do with characters, but I'm not certain. There is this text somwhere inside the game though; 'dsmith/models/darkmooncaverns' or something like that, but can't find anything else like it.

EDIT:Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the ice world level maps blue in the German Promotional video? They appear White using the 2D image modifier, so there must be a red filter applied to them.

Last edited by Alice; 11th March 2010 at 08:15 PM.

Old 12th March 2010, 01:27 AM
Glowbo

If it helps at all, I figured out that two of the 2D image modifier values Runehero previously labeled as ???? (0x00A1 and 0x00A2) appear to be the HUD banana and its sparkle effect.

I'm not sure why the image is of such a high resolution compared to the actual banana "sprites," though.

Old 12th March 2010, 08:52 PM
Formerly Spyke4995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattress87 View Post
I'm not sure why the image is of such a high resolution compared to the actual banana "sprites," though.
That is probably down to the image it replaced. The Rare coins came out quite large too.

Anyway, good work, that should come in handy.

Also, have a look at the attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Balloons.jpg (45.1 KB, 122 views)

Old 14th March 2010, 03:50 AM
Glowbo

The lack of any equivalent sprites of the green, yellow, and rainbow balloons with presents seems to imply that there were only missile and boost balloons at that point in development.

2D image value 0x0058 is a beta character icon set. Each frame is a different character's picture. The following links are rips of these icons.

Krunch/Krash
Bumper
Tiptup
Conker (placeholder text)
Timber (placeholder text)
Banjo (placeholder text)
Drumstick
Pipsy

Note even the absence of placeholder images for T.T. and Diddy, which means these icons are from the ProAM64 days. The same can be said about the balloons that Runehero found with the faces on them.

I also noticed one anomaly with the character select music when doing a cheat search for the RAM address that controls the active music channels.

Here's the code, along with the values each character uses in the character select screen:
Code:
811114E0 ???? Active Music Channel Modifier(global)

001F Diddy
002F T.T.
010F Timber
020F Tiptup
040F Conker
080F Banjo
108F Bumper
200F Drumstick
400F Pipsy
800F Krunch
Anyway, I noticed that in the character select screen, every bit is used but 0040, which corresponds to the 6th channel. Following the pattern that the others use, I set the value to 004F, and this was the result:

Link: charselect_unused.mp3 (0.99 MB)

Hmmm...could it be that Taj was planned as playable character at one point, just as he ended up in the DS remake? It seems likely...

Play around with this code, you might find unused channels in other songs as well.

Old 14th March 2010, 09:42 AM
Formerly Spyke4995

Great work! All I can see that being used for is Taj, or that Mammoth (Depends on the stage in development). I'll be sure to mess with that! And only red and blue balloons seems likely. I don't know whether I could use those icons, as I would have to insert objects into the character select.

I'll see if I can't get you those tracks, but I can't use my N64 as I have a PAL version that really doesn't like the Equalizer most of the time.

EDIT: That's a brilliant code in the music test.

Last edited by Alice; 14th March 2010 at 10:28 AM.

Old 14th March 2010, 05:22 PM
Glowbo

Hmm, I think I found a hud texture image mod but sadly, the address keeps changing so I cant give out a code. I think I found it in hex but it gives me a error that closes project 64 for no good reason, and its not a good reason because the rom still works fine in Nemu. xD So anyway, I wanted to see if it changed but it diddn't. And its got to be the right one because the resize mod by it was working. So I don't understand.

I don't think I found the coin and I think you can only go up to 0044. The rest is weird. So I found the bannana one in the image mod of the x by the numbers so its got to be the same image mod as the bannana.

Old 14th March 2010, 06:34 PM
Glowbo

@empires228: The Taj part of the theme is included with the other parts in the music test. If you listen very closely, it can be heard.

If you need proof from the RAM, 0x001114E0 is always set to FFFF there, meaning all 16 channels are active for each music track.

Tags
beta, diddy kong racing, hack

User Tag List