Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 5th April 2020, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Total Awards: 8
You're Appreciated! Puzzle Six Awesome Default Medal RWP Donator RWP Podcast 
Had the chance to get back to Death Stranding today. BB stress levels rising

Old 5th April 2020, 10:53 PM
a banana peel

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! RWP Podcast Rarity Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
I've been playing a lot of Call Of Duty Warzone. This is the first time I've had sustainable fun with a battle royale that makes me keep coming back. The contract system, that gives you missions to complete as you gather gear, along with the gulag system that gives you a chance to come back from death, make it not feel as hopeless as every other Battle Royale I've played. An actual fun time.

Old 6th April 2020, 03:49 AM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
Disgaea is really charming. I was under the impression it was just 100% goofiness, but it's starting to reveal some heart underneath it all.

Despite his journey to become a Demon Lord, Laharl isn't lacking in empathy. He doesn't know how to process his feelings, so he just buries any inklings of compassion or grief under his overlord persona.

With that out of the way, I find the English dub kind of obnoxious. I dunno if the English voice acting is bad per see, I just find it a tad annoying. I think it's a lot more tolerable in Japanese -- which the PC version at least lets you switch to.

Last edited by Solid Snix; 6th April 2020 at 04:35 AM.

Old 6th April 2020, 04:08 AM
a banana peel

today I tried a 6 year old indie game called Cloudbuilt, and the platforming in it is SO BADASS

Look at a couple minutes of this glitchless speedrun

Old 6th April 2020, 04:36 PM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Old 7th April 2020, 03:43 AM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Getting real addicted to Disgaea. It has great writing, but it's also a really solid SRPG. It doesn't feel slow at all, and you have a ton of options when it comes to building your party and making choices in battle.

Throwing enemies and allies around is fantastic and probably helps in speeding the game up. The geospaces are also really fun once you figure out how they work.

I got through half an item dungeon because I kept getting invincibility geospots. I just stood one of my dudes on one of those spots and so he could throw foes up to my gunner, who has an easy time killing things in one hit.

Old 7th April 2020, 03:56 AM
a banana peel

Throwing enemies in Disgaea is great, it made me love the idea of maneuvering characters in tactics RPGs. The fighter in D&D has a path where you learn an ability where you can shove and pull enemies around, and it's a lot of fun.

Old 10th April 2020, 05:15 AM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Drakengard 3

Old 12th April 2020, 04:10 AM
Formerly Vampy

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
Ive been trying to play the switch more lately. I picked up a copy of binding of isaac for 9.95 at walmart and then a few days later they had super monkey ball marked down so I grabbed that too. They both have been fun but stressful to play.

Old 13th April 2020, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Trabajo View Post
Now to beat Duke Nukem Forever... from the cradle to the grave, Apricot Milkshake
DNF is not so bad that it's not worth playing, but it's also not good enough for me to endure this cover/shoot boss bottle with OHKO sub-spawn enemies. Tasteless and unfunny? Yes, but no more so than your average GTA or Bioshock Infinite. The main problem with the game is that it doesn't know whether it's a Serious Sam-style fast-paced action shooter or something more tactical from the late 00s - the weapons, levels and enemies seem intended for neither and both simultaneously. There are some nice environments though, and the game is probably at its best when focusing on small puzzles and gimmicks. Probably 2/3 into the game, may come back to it one day. This has been your Duke Nukem Forever review posted in 2020.

Old 14th April 2020, 01:59 AM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Old 14th April 2020, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

FIFA 12 is football on the moon as played from the perspective of the Manchester City backline during the final six minutes of the 2009 Manchester derby at Old Trafford

Old 14th April 2020, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Have thrown my life in the bin and gone back to Football Manager 2014.

Old 14th April 2020, 05:02 PM
a banana peel

FFX-2 always gets an immediate visceral bad rap from people, because it "ruined FFX" or because it seems like its pandering to women.

I remember at the time enjoying the outfit system. Being able to change a party member's job on the fly is really cool.

Old 14th April 2020, 09:09 PM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

I have been playing Final Fantasy 1 on iOS. The iOS port doesn't have a map, but I kind of enjoy being lost. I wast told to go west, but there were no docks or towns in sight. I followed the peninsula south—a long way. I have no idea if I'm even on the west portion of the map anymore, but I found a town I haven't been to before, and there are still clues to be found.

I like this open design of older JRPGs. The map is somewhat small, but what's there is generally worth exploring, with the map slowly opening up as you acquire more methods of transport. Every time you stumble on the way to progress, it feels like another step towards your main goal.

I don't really like modern open-world games because they give you way too much to do, and most of it's busywork. Your map is wholly littered with markers, the world is massive, and everything looks the same.

It's interesting playing FF1 after going through a ton of Dragon Quest games and seeing what Square straight up lifted and what they did differently. Needing to find a magic key to open a few doors in towns you already visited is a trope in Dragon Quest. However, Final Fantasy let you build a party in the year before DQIII's release. Final Fantasy also has a somewhat more cinematic opening, with the first thirty minutes and the battle with Garland almost acting as a prologue.

The magic system is also cool because it allows some customization. Your mages don't just grow spells. You buy them, and your mages can have three of a level at a time, so you need to decide what you need and what you can go without.

For my party, I went Warrior, Monk, White Mage, Black Mage, but now that I know how the spell system works, I'm thinking that I probably would have liked putting the Red Mage in over the White Mage. Red can't heal as well, but they are more reliable as a general attacker. I probably would have thrown on cure, one of the buffs, and then the fire spell I skipped putting on my Black Mage in favor of Blizard, Thunder, and Sleep.

Also, I like how getting your boat involves strolling into town, being told there are pirates, taking out the pirates, and then having Captain Johnbeard immediately tell you that he's turning a new leaf and just giving you his ship. All in the span of like five minutes.

Last edited by Solid Snix; 14th April 2020 at 09:12 PM.

User Tag List