Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Closed Thread

Old 18th August 2010, 11:42 AM
Clanker

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
I like the sound of a fresh start. I agree that we shouldn't worry too much about visuals, music and the storyline until one demo level can be programmed, because if it doesn't get off the ground again then even more resources and time has been wasted.

Old 19th August 2010, 03:54 AM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
I think I had suggested this a while ago. But I'm for that. (: Question is... who will lead?

Last edited by B-Kpianist; 19th August 2010 at 09:13 PM.

Old 20th August 2010, 01:55 AM
Clanker

Seeing as we only have 4 people tops on the team at this time, you might as well just step up to the directing position (if Lupaie's got programming covered) seeing as nobody's going to stop you You could always step down later if you don't like it.

As for the approach, I pretty much agree. However I think we should still have a VERY rough outline of the game. It's good to take things one step at a time, but I don't know if making the game up as we go along will work.

Hey I have a question: are we still going with the theme of TCJ? It seems like we're talking about an entirely new theoretical Banjo game here. If we're ditching TCG entirely I think a new thread is in order if we want to drum up some interest. Many people already know about TCG and aren't interested because they have the preconception that nothing is going to get done second time around, so maybe they'd be interested in a completely fresh project.

EDIT: Just read your second edit. So you're saying you're leaving the project, or just want to take it in a different direction?

Old 21st August 2010, 02:08 AM
Bunnycomb

Random Award INFECTED - B1K1 
meh, the big problem in here is that nobody knows how to program stuff. As long as there are no programmers and 3D designers nothing will come out of this

Old 21st August 2010, 02:59 AM
Mr. Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viku View Post
meh, the big problem in here is that nobody knows how to program stuff. As long as there are no programmers and 3D designers nothing will come out of this
You mean people on this team, or in this entire forum?

Old 21st August 2010, 03:52 AM
Clanker

Lupaie offered to program, I think.

Anyway this project's pretty much dead now. Might as well just let Skill have whatever's come out of this project, if he wants it.

Old 21st August 2010, 08:38 AM
Grunty's Reject

INFECTED - B1K1 
If BKPianist would like to, he could submit the music he wrote for this game to Banjo-Kazooie RPG. We would re-arrange it but if he wanted to help with the game's music then he could do that himself.

We would appreciate that; he writes very nice music and I wouldn't want it going to waste, so BKRPG seems the best option to me.

Unless he would keep it for the next version of Crystal Jiggy, in which case fine.

Last edited by Rock; 21st August 2010 at 08:42 AM.

Old 21st August 2010, 10:54 AM
Clanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebecj View Post
Lupaie's got programming covered (I think? Was that what you were implying?) ... I could direct the project maybe? I've been looking for a good project to get me out of this depression I'm in.

EDIT: Thought I'd add the development approach I'd like to take. It's an approach I randomly decided to call "Think, Make, Test, Repeat." There's probably a much better name for it elsewhere.

1. Think - You've all done a pretty good job of throwing ideas around here, some decent ideas I might add. However, from a design standpoint, it's kinda just a cluster****. So think of it from a game standpoint and build it up from there. Start with the most basic and make what's needed for that.

For example, the most basic thing we could do is get Banjo on screen and moving. Not even animated, just controllable. MAYBE even add a jump. Instantly, there's progress. Sure, there should still be a master plan to keep things moving in the right direction. Actually, the programmer should probably be the first to get to work, making an engine of sorts with collisions and *******.

2. Make - After you decided what's going to be the next short-term goal for the project, make it reality. Do whatever it takes to make it reality, and don't just half-ass it. Focus everything on that aspect.

3. Test - Once that aspect has been added, test it in the full project, make sure everything works without a hitch, and when it's the best you can get it, move on and...

4. Repeat

I guess I'm just a programmer so that's how I look at things. Some people may prefer an outline of sorts, and many of you may not be keen on my approach. But the previous approach yielded nothing in the grand scheme of the game.

EDIT2: Sorry to say I'm very fickle, and want to pursue a game of my own. Still, I hope you at least attempt this development style
This is the same approach i have with my game

For me it goes:

1. Get a move that needs to be added to the current set.
2. Check the animation (is it still in its rough stage is it long enough? Should it be broken down? Are there missing stages?)
3. if the animation is rough, short or not spit fix it.
4. Write the code for the new move to work
5. Check to make sure that it is simular to the speed and movements of Banjo Kazooie (This is why Mumbos Mountain is used as i can load a save state in PJ and see if for example the jump height is right).
6. Test - My testing is really rough so what i do is i test it a bit and write down any bugs that happen, if i can fix a bug quickly i will do it then and there otherwise i take a note of it and work on it as i'm preparing other work.

This may sound like a bad idea but why not change CJ to a 2D game?

You could write it in XNA with little programing knowledge, most of your ideas will still map across the music can still be used etc and with it being written in XNA people could play it on XBOX 360 provided everything is set up correctly and the legal side of things works out (you might have to read up for that) even if you couldn't XNA has native support for the 360 controller so PC wise you could still play with a comfortable control.

The other thing is that XNA uses C# as its language which you could learn in about a 2 weeks anything specific to the api you can pick up as you go.

Just an idea and good luck!

Also Lupaie has a really nice technique that he uses in which he models his characters and renders them out into sprites this makes the sprites look very professional!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic Mario View Post
You mean people on this team, or in this entire forum?
Concidering this forum has IceMario, Subdrag, CoolBoyMan, CoolIsCool, RuneHero and many others who are all very good programmers i'm thinking he means in the team

Last edited by Skill; 21st August 2010 at 11:06 AM.

Old 21st August 2010, 04:42 PM
Mr. Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skill View Post
Concidering this forum has IceMario, Subdrag, CoolBoyMan, CoolIsCool, RuneHero and many others who are all very good programmers i'm thinking he means in the team
Well "in here" could mean anything, you know

Old 24th August 2010, 07:54 AM
Clanker

Random Award RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradlestix View Post
Lupaie offered to program, I think.
Nope I did not...programming is my waterloo.

Old 24th August 2010, 09:23 AM
Clanker

My bad, that's just how it came across to me I guess... anyway, I'm not "taking over" this project by any means, but I'm thinking of making a 2D B-K platformer so I might use the title "The Crystal Jiggy", if nobody objects. Of course it might never come to fruition, so don't get exited or anything

Old 24th August 2010, 02:58 PM
Clanker

Random Award RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award 
why not think of an original title yourself?

Old 25th August 2010, 07:18 AM
Clanker

Well, while the events in the game aren't related to this project, the story is about the Crystal Jiggy from Jiggywiggy's temple. So I figured I'd use the title "The Crystal Jiggy".

Old 29th August 2010, 03:31 AM
Brash Breegull

Will this game feature Stop 'n' Swop?

Durr hurr...

Old 29th August 2010, 07:02 PM
Von Kriplespac

INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupaie View Post
Nope I did not...programming is my waterloo.
http://thecrystaljiggy.webs.com/thecrew.htm
^Says you did.

Closed Thread

User Tag List