Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 16th April 2008, 01:17 AM
Jolly Rodger

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
A Few GameMaker Questions...

I just have a couple questions about using GameMaker:

1) How do you make a character jump, like a regular mario jump or whatever.
2) How can you make the screen scroll along with the character when it gets to about the half point of the screen?

No GML please, if possible. If GML is pretty much required, then please tell me where to copy/paste it or whatever. I'm not familiar with GML.

Old 16th April 2008, 02:37 AM
Clanker

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
You can make characters jump without GML; check out the Platform tutorial at www.yoyogames.com . The tutorial really helps, I'm making a platform game right now =p

Screen scrolling is easier, in the room that you want to scroll click the 'Views' tab, tick "Enable use of views" and "Visible when room starts", then set "View in room" to your screen size, set "Port on Screen to your room size too. For "Object Following" select the character you want the screen to scroll with. Set "HBor" and "WBor" to the room size and "Hsp" and "Vsp" to the speed that your character moves.

Old 16th April 2008, 10:44 PM
Jolly Rodger

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradlestix View Post
You can make characters jump without GML; check out the Platform tutorial at www.yoyogames.com . The tutorial really helps, I'm making a platform game right now =p

Screen scrolling is easier, in the room that you want to scroll click the 'Views' tab, tick "Enable use of views" and "Visible when room starts", then set "View in room" to your screen size, set "Port on Screen to your room size too. For "Object Following" select the character you want the screen to scroll with. Set "HBor" and "WBor" to the room size and "Hsp" and "Vsp" to the speed that your character moves.
Thank you so much! I'm going to Mc Donalds (go figure), so when I get back, I'll try this out.

EDIT: I'm having trouble locating the tutorial on that website. Could you post a direct link?

P.S. I'm not fat.

Last edited by =donkey-banjo=; 17th April 2008 at 12:02 AM.

Old 17th April 2008, 08:44 AM
Clanker

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
No problem Good luck; here is the link to the tutorials page: http://www.yoyogames.com/make/tutorials (it's actually hard to find xD)

Old 17th April 2008, 08:38 PM
Jolly Rodger

INFECTED - B1K1 
Aww...I couldn't open it because I only have the Game Maker 6.1... That's the only one I know how to use anyway...

Do you suppose you could teach me how to make just a normal mario game jump?

More Questions:

How can I get the health bar and a score meter on the screen?

How can I give enemies a little more health, like I have to hit it three times with my attack or something?

How can I keep my attack going after it strikes an enemy, so the attack doesn't disappear as soon as it comes in contact with one?

Old 12th May 2008, 10:45 AM
Jinjo

I did a little game maker a few years ago, so ill see if i can help a bit.

The first thing is to learn GML, it makes some thing much easer, plus you cant do anything flash without it.

"How can I keep my attack going after it strikes an enemy, so the attack doesn't disappear as soon as it comes in contact with one?" - thats easy. you will probably have created a 'destroy this' thing under the object collision. If you want to keep the bullet going then it should only destroy the enemy, not the bullet. The problem with that is that you will need something later on the destroy the bullet, otherwise it will continue off forever, and you might get lag. So to fix that just put a timer on it, or make it destroy when it reaches the edge of the screen,

"How can I give enemies a little more health, like I have to hit it three times with my attack or something?" - to do that set up an object variable with initial value 3, say and when the bullet collides with it make its new value = its old value -1. the only problem is if your bullet goes through an enemy then it will be continually colliding.

The rest are a bit tricker, and i cant think of easy answers off the top of my head. have you looked at the tutorials section of the game maker site? That is still there, right? If its not pm me your email, and ill send you some gm stuff from my computer.

Well i hope this helps. Good luck.

Tags
game, gamemaker, maker

User Tag List