Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 4th March 2017, 01:52 PM
Glowbo

I'm playing Zelda Breath of the Wild on Nintendo Switch. My first impression is that it isn't a bad game, but it's not even the great game that critics say. Every detail is chosen with extremely care like I've never seen before in a game, particularly in a big open-world game, but most of the them are useless (for example, who cares to watch enemies hunting animals?). Instead, the most important features of the game are minimal: quests are unfascinating, types of enemies are few, combat system is very basic, every Shrine has just the same graphic design and exploration is slow and boring. Moreover, every weapon lasts just a few hits, you can't repair or upgrade them. And you are costantly in the menus for leaving them to pick others. There isn't either a fast way to heal, and the controls in general aren't simple to get with (especially for horses, but in this case I don't know if it depends by the low stats of mine).
I really wanted to love this game, I bought the Switch for playing the best version (I have a Wii U too) and I blindly bought the season pass, but it completely misses the feeling of discovery of the past Zelda games, the satisfaction of collecting items of Dark Souls and the "wow factor" of the quests of The Witcher 3. In other words, it misses what I was searching in this game. But, I repeat, it surely isn't bad.

Last edited by Refofa; 4th March 2017 at 03:45 PM.

Old 7th March 2017, 10:41 AM
Story of the Year '10 - '11

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
Been playing Horizon Zero Dawn, which is incredible, and Night In The Woods, which is hilarious and great.

Old 8th March 2017, 01:32 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Chatterbox Grey Note Medal 
I've been playing Fairly Oddparents: Breakin' Da Rulez for the Gamecube. It's horrible and so low budget

Old 10th March 2017, 05:33 PM
Rare Witch Hero

I got GTA 5 for XBox One, and I got a month of Gold. Anybody wanna play? hmu

Old 11th March 2017, 06:53 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiffgurl View Post
Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories (Playstation, 2002)

i was writing a big post about how this game is cursed, and as i was about to submit it my firefox crashed and froze so i'm pretty sure i'm onto something. i was able to salvage this part of my post, and it thankfully captures the gist of what i'm getting at:

1/5
This assessment is spot on. HOW DOES THE COMBINING MONSTERS EVEN ****ING WORK IT MAKES NO SENSE

Old 18th March 2017, 05:01 AM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
I think the breakable weapons in BotW are fine on their own, but I think they hinder treasure hunting a bit. Since weapons are expendable, and you have limited inventory as is, I feel kind of burdened every time I find a weapon in a chest. They're not hard to come by and a wide range damage output is usually viable. It's kind of hard justifying going through the effort to get a lot of these chests. Maybe if they put more unique weapons, or hell, less expendable things in chests, I'd feel more rewarded.

I'd like to see the next game just have a bunch of non-breakable, or at least repairable, weapons. On the flip side of that, however, is that combat isn't all technical, so having to think on your feet with weapons can add a lot of depth. It's just that I never not have a weapon I need, so...

Last edited by Solid Snix; 18th March 2017 at 05:09 AM.

Old 20th March 2017, 11:10 AM
Von Kriplespac

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
I played two lewd anime games on Steam and one of them wasn't Senran Kagura.

Old 21st March 2017, 03:12 PM
a quiche

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 
I have most recently played THE BOUNCER (PS2, Squaresoft ©2001)

Everybody in this game is so pretty that I want to kiss them (even the especially the BOYS!!!)

There is a lot that I really appreciate about pre-Squeenix Square (and Enix) and the feel of this game is like in this beautiful grey area where the style of their games hadn't quite yet found themselves and settled into the formula that would become what I sort of see as the standard of like 2003/4-onwards-ish

Also specifically I like this abundance of like fetishism-punk kinda style in the clothing design, like that sorta BDSM element is present in MGS and Yu-Gi-Oh character designs too and I have always appreciated that ("punished" or "tortured" characters, "life is pain and I look goddamned beautiful", also presence of demonic physiology or references to having been from/to hell). The world feels like Midgar combined with Y2K-era-modern urban so it has like this "neon-laced dystopia" feel, sorta fantasy cyberpunk, not too heavy on the HARD TECH, everything has more of a fairytale feel to it. There's also this light blur effect on everything and it gives everything this extra like lightly-rained prettiness

I also played it for the first time when it came out in 2001 for my friend's birthday on St. Patrick's Day at a sleepover party in which we beat the whole game in one night, so this was like the 16th anniversary of that

Also sidenote, the Square Enix building irl looks amazing:

Last edited by pastiche; 21st March 2017 at 03:31 PM.

Old 21st March 2017, 04:11 PM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! RWP Bash Day 6 Participation Award 
Night in the Woods! I finished it last week and it was really good.

Old 2nd April 2017, 05:21 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Grand Theft Auto 5 / Online - I bought it for XBox One, along with a month subscription of gold, and I've been having a blast playing the races with my brother and Frankie.

Rocket League - I've never stopped playing and I'm getting a lot better.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - I've been playing a little bit but not much, ever since I transferred my games to my 3DS from my old one.

Witcher 2 : I've been gripped by this game. Granted, I haven't touched it in a few days, but when I do, I'm hooked for hours.

Golf With Your Friends : I play a little on and off. If I had more friends, it'd be a lot better.

Old 2nd April 2017, 11:05 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Aw damn. It is pretty damn fun with my brother but he screams at it too much

Old 3rd April 2017, 03:07 AM
a quiche

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 
Rocky Rodent, aka Nitropunks: Mightheads (ニトロパンクス マイトヘッズ Naitoropankusu Maitohezzu) (SNES, 1993)

GOOD SH*T

Old 3rd April 2017, 10:35 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
I know some of you may never have heard of this spectacular indie title, but it is beautiful. Hands down, from the graphics, to the gameplay, it is a pretty fluent experience. It's immersive, with a more subdued soundtrack from other titles of the little known "Legend of Zelda" series. 10/10 would recommend if you have a Wii U, or a Nintendo Switch

Joke review aside, it lives up to the hype. I'm only just getting to Kakariko village and I love it so much

Old 4th April 2017, 03:03 AM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
I've been somewhat interested in playing Yu Gi Oh online, but I dunno if I should do the browser thing they have going on or just get Legacy of the Duelist.

Old 4th April 2017, 05:57 PM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
Still Zelda, with a side of some Snake Pass to get into the 3D platformer mindset again.

User Tag List