Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 11th February 2022, 10:34 PM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
klonoa

KLONoA KLONOA

tHe boy lives KLONOA

HE's MY SON KLONOA

Old 12th February 2022, 12:10 AM
a banana peel

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! RWP Podcast Rarity Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
he does have a very good hat

Old 12th February 2022, 02:15 AM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
Probably the only good announcement in the Direct. I played the Wii remake of Door to Phantomile and liked it. And I liked Lolo in Namco High (lmao, remember that?) and I know she's from the sequel, so it'll be nice finally playing that.

Wish I could figure out if these games are remakes or upscaled ports, though. Looks like the latter to me, but I have a buddy that swears up and down they're remakes and I don't have a good enough eye for graphics to seriously argue with him.

Old 12th February 2022, 02:26 AM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Klonoa 1 is another remake, separate from the wii remake. Klonoa 2 is a remaster.

Old 15th February 2022, 01:02 AM
Friend of Justice

Total Awards: 9
You're Appreciated! Awesome Default Medal INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Game On 
Wahoo! Both Klonoa games are very dear to my heart and I'm excited to have them rereleased. It would be nice to get the GBA games released in a bundle as well.

Old 15th February 2022, 03:50 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
Probably the only good announcement in the Direct. I played the Wii remake of Door to Phantomile and liked it. And I liked Lolo in Namco High (lmao, remember that?) and I know she's from the sequel, so it'll be nice finally playing that.

Wish I could figure out if these games are remakes or upscaled ports, though. Looks like the latter to me, but I have a buddy that swears up and down they're remakes and I don't have a good enough eye for graphics to seriously argue with him.
klonoa 1 is a full remake, it is aesthetically wildly different from the wii port. most notably they changed klonoa's design back to his ps1 look, whcih was entirely different from his wii look

klonoa 2 seems to lean more remaster but the visual style is a bit different. working off the same models and animations though, namco tends to hold onto the source code for their old games better than lots of other companies. you see that paying off in other remasters of theirs like mr driller drill land, that's a direct port of the game's original code with its original uncompressed art assets

Old 15th February 2022, 04:06 PM
Chasing Childhood

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
I had never heard of Klonoa before today. If I am in the mood for platforming, should I be hype?

They/Them

Old 15th February 2022, 06:26 PM
a banana peel

You're Appreciated! RWP Podcast Rarity Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
Yeah, it's a real good time.

Old 15th February 2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snix View Post
Klonoa 1 is another remake, separate from the wii remake. Klonoa 2 is a remaster.
Really? That's dumb. Why remake the original again? If they only had the resources for one new game, they should've just beefed up the Wii remake and fully remade the sequel instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
klonoa 1 is a full remake, it is aesthetically wildly different from the wii port. most notably they changed klonoa's design back to his ps1 look, whcih was entirely different from his wii look
Yeah, I did notice his eyes are yellow again. That's good, I dig the more catlike look.

Old 16th February 2022, 12:08 AM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

the wii version isn't really worth porting, outside of preservation. So I'm fine with a new, more faithful remake.

Old 16th February 2022, 05:13 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

klonoa 2 doesnt need a remake. klonoa 2 is a beautiful game

klonoa 1 is also a beautiful game but the wii version basically lost all of the original aesthetic and it was for the worse. like klonoa 1 actively has characters remarking about how short klonoa is but... the wii design makes him taller than a lot of them are. it doesnt even make sense from a design consistency standpoint because the point of klonoa 1 is that klonoa's a dumb little snot, the big adventure is something he falls into. in klonoa 2 he's grown up a bit, he's more mature, he's taking on the role of a protector for someone else so he's bigger and stronger and he's more in the loop about what's going on story-wise. the wii version did not reflect this in his design at all and it makes the presentation feel more disjointed which is frustrating since klonoa 1 genuinely has great storytelling

also klonoa wii had pre rendered opening and ending cutscenes. this isn't strictly a bad thing but it means they couldn't really base a new remake off of it to the letter because even if they chose to maintain wii klonoa's design, those scenes would look much uglier and more dated than the rest of the game. it's just easier to do a full new version from the ground up with new cutscenes and assets

Last edited by The Colonel; 16th February 2022 at 05:24 AM.

Old 17th February 2022, 09:13 PM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

tonde

tonde

Old 18th February 2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snix View Post
the wii version isn't really worth porting, outside of preservation. So I'm fine with a new, more faithful remake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
klonoa 2 doesnt need a remake. klonoa 2 is a beautiful game

klonoa 1 is also a beautiful game but the wii version basically lost all of the original aesthetic and it was for the worse. like klonoa 1 actively has characters remarking about how short klonoa is but... the wii design makes him taller than a lot of them are. it doesnt even make sense from a design consistency standpoint because the point of klonoa 1 is that klonoa's a dumb little snot, the big adventure is something he falls into. in klonoa 2 he's grown up a bit, he's more mature, he's taking on the role of a protector for someone else so he's bigger and stronger and he's more in the loop about what's going on story-wise. the wii version did not reflect this in his design at all and it makes the presentation feel more disjointed which is frustrating since klonoa 1 genuinely has great storytelling

also klonoa wii had pre rendered opening and ending cutscenes. this isn't strictly a bad thing but it means they couldn't really base a new remake off of it to the letter because even if they chose to maintain wii klonoa's design, those scenes would look much uglier and more dated than the rest of the game. it's just easier to do a full new version from the ground up with new cutscenes and assets
Surprised by these takes. I thought the Wii remake was pretty great, as long as you changed the language settings so Klonoa doesn't sound like a skater bro.

Also surprised that neither of you mentioned the doubled health, which I thought was the most controversial part of the remake.

Old 19th February 2022, 05:49 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

it's not a bad version of the game but it's not one i particularly find definitive of the game and i think it generally doesn't look as interesting as the original

the wii version is easily emulated and there's no reason not to go that route if you really want to check it out at this point, and it's the same with the original and even the original version of klonoa 2 now that that game's emulation bugs have been fixed, so i don't really mind them doing another remake of klonoa 1 and remastering klonoa 2 since the remasters look good

Last edited by The Colonel; 19th February 2022 at 05:54 PM.

Old 8th July 2022, 07:47 PM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

KLONOA

User Tag List