Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 15th October 2021, 03:20 AM
Alakazam Alakazam is offline 3 Highscores
Administrator

Total Awards: 15
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter RWP Note Medal Awesome Default Medal Mystery Three 
Arrow Grabbed By The Ghoulies

it'll soon be Halloween, and i'm willing to bet that several of you haven't played Grabbed By The Ghoulies in a while

my replay came way earlier this year, but i've been thinking about it lately

artistically, the game is absolutely doused in the sickly, slimy greens of a Creepy Crawlers oven, chock full of amusing Rare references and otherwise spooky stage props, as well as some of my favorite room design texture mapping from any game i've ever played

there's a lot of linearity, and it doesn't play incredibly deep, but i'd also argue it's not a binge game; rather, it's fun to pick up in small doses, completing a few rooms every so often

like any great Rare game since Sabre Wulf and Knight Lore, it takes patience to fully appreciate: try not to think about this game as a means to an end, but a journey in which each room's challenge is its own game with its own reward

if you own Rare Replay, seriously give it a shot sometime during the next couple weeks - it's a genuinely underrated game with strengths that are hard to find elsewhere

ルバー・フォング

Old 15th October 2021, 04:15 AM
Mercury Star Power, Make Up~!

Total Awards: 9
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Game On Reminiscence 
I haven't replayed it in awhile, but I legitimately love Grabbed by the Ghoulies. When Gregg Mayles jokes on twitter about all ten people that actually liked Ghoulies, I'm definitely one of those ten. I love the music, I love the humor, I love the art design, I love the Ghoulies themselves. It's not a deep game, no, but it's full of that charm that I love, and the combat is fine. Like you said, it's a pick up and play sort of game. I really like the challenges, and how if (or, for sure, when) you mess one up, the Grim Reaper becomes a tense challenge of itself, one that you can take advantage of by allowing him to kill other enemies in his path to you.

I should set up the 360 soon and give it another whirl.

Old 15th October 2021, 04:24 AM
Mercury Star Power, Make Up~!

Total Awards: 9
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Game On Reminiscence 
For those (members and lurkers) that are on the fence about ever trying it because of its reputation or whatever, listen to the staff talk about it. It's quite interesting, and might give you a better appreciation for it!

Old 15th October 2021, 06:30 AM
Administrator

You're Appreciated! Thread Starter RWP Note Medal Awesome Default Medal Mystery Three 
i started a new file after making this thread

i dunno if it's been brought up anywhere before, but the game was definitely meant to be a spiritual sequel to Battletoads, just with the latter-day nuance and creative vision of the Banjo team

after spending so much time playing Yakuza this year, i feel like GBTG deserves more praise for its gameplay too - even my initial post totally undersells the smooth movement and combat system that makes the game work so well, and i'm impressed by its auto-homing on enemies in particular

love the feeling of a successful mad dash to an exit door, it's very ZX Spectrum - the Atic Atac and Sabre Wulf posters that litter the hallways add credence to this being more than a coincidence, too

i doubt Gregg, etc. still check up on RWP whatsoever, but just in case: you guys made a real good 1 in GBTG, especially given the chaotic nature of the Microsoft move, and i dig it a whole heck of a lot

ルバー・フォング

Old 15th October 2021, 06:38 AM
Administrator

upon review, the word "underrated" is an inappropriate misnomer: a word like "undervalued" or "underappreciated" would be better suited, because a strict ratings system will always err against a game like GBTG when it's measured against AAA games of its time

ルバー・フォング

Old 15th October 2021, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zondekel View Post
I really like the challenges, and how if (or, for sure, when) you mess one up, the Grim Reaper becomes a tense challenge of itself, one that you can take advantage of by allowing him to kill other enemies in his path to you.
glad you brought this up, it's an exemplary element of game strategy balance that GBTG flexes as one of its greatest strengths

ルバー・フォング

Old 15th October 2021, 06:50 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
the only gbtg input i have to offer these days is that i cant believe the tekken spinoff death by degrees has a similarly alliterative title and has combat that functions exactly the same in that you attacks are determined with the right stick

Old 23rd October 2021, 05:30 AM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
I played a couple hours of Ghoulies a few years ago (on my partner's old Xbox since I've never had one of my own). The game's not half bad. If it had launched on GameCube as intended, it would probably have an appreciative audience today.

The only thing I didn't like is Cooper. I get that he's probably supposed to be a throwback to Edson from Project Dream and that the Ghoulies themselves are the real stars, but he's just not memorable at all. Totally lacks the star power of Rare's other mascots.

User Tag List