Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > The Banjo Kazooie Series

The Banjo Kazooie Series General Discussion about the Banjo Kazooie series from the N64 classics to the handheld sequels & new Xbox games.

View Poll Results: like roaming
yes 22 73.33%
no 8 26.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st December 2008, 01:51 AM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
(free roam good or bad)

Do you think the vast amount of roaming around areas in Banjo nuts and bolts is good or bad. Personally I love it but then again I'm a person who has been playing morrowind for years and still hasn't finished the 1st task. I actually play with cheats on sometimes so I can fully view more dangerous dungeons without being able to get killed. I also like to randomly go through towns and there's just so much to do. I'm still not bored of it. Banjo nuts and bolts while not having the exploreibility of that game still has a lot of places to go and it's fun.

Old 21st December 2008, 01:52 AM
I Wanna Be The Admin

Total Awards: 13
INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master Awesome Default Medal INFECTED - B1K1 
Banjo is not free-roaming. Oblivion is free-roaming.

Old 21st December 2008, 01:58 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 17
You're Appreciated! Mystery Four Mystery One Thread Starter Imagination 
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatman3388 View Post
Banjo is not free-roaming. Oblivion is free-roaming.
yup, even though i havnt gotten oblivion yet..

Buterflies are insex. ~TwilightVestige

Old 21st December 2008, 02:15 AM
Glowbo

Don't get oblivion. It will ruin Morrowind for you - Enjoy Morrowind then go out and find some mods

Old 21st December 2008, 02:25 AM
Brash Breegull

INFECTED - B1K1 
No. It's just Banjo running around with nothing to do. It's useless and feels stale and restricts the player to the vehicles, and to me that's more like a chore then having fun. Plus, the way the challenge system is set up is incredibly boring. Walking up to every character and talking to them, building something new or using the same vehicle again. It's just horribly executed in my opinion. They could have approached it in a very different way. I don't know how, but the way everything was set up just wasn't fun.

To sum it up, free roam is only fun when there is actually variety and things to do. Not just stretches of land and a few mountains and platforms you can jog around and that's about it.

Old 21st December 2008, 02:31 AM
Clanker

INFECTED - B1K1 
like i said in another thread, yes i love free roaming games my favorite is of course oblivion with a ****load of mods (my computer is a monster).

as for the free roam in N&B its ok except for the fact some times i cant decide what place i want to go to too get the next few jiggies.

Old 21st December 2008, 02:33 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Rarity RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoman View Post
No. It's just Banjo running around with nothing to do. It's useless and feels stale and restricts the player to the vehicles, and to me that's more like a chore then having fun. Plus, the way the challenge system is set up is incredibly boring. Walking up to every character and talking to them, building something new or using the same vehicle again. It's just horribly executed in my opinion. They could have approached it in a very different way. I don't know how, but the way everything was set up just wasn't fun.

To sum it up, free roam is only fun when there is actually variety and things to do. Not just stretches of land and a few mountains and platforms you can jog around and that's about it.
Personally, I use those extra spaces in order to use new vehicles I've made. Though it wasn't the best choice, it seems like Nuts & Bolts is a vehicle editor with some challenges tacked on. I don't spend most of my time doing challenges, but building new vehicles. I like the free roaming. I don't play the game for the challenges now, but for the vehicle editor. They really should center the game around the challenges, but not the editor next time.

Old 21st December 2008, 02:58 AM
Clanker

Total Awards: 2
RWP Donator INFECTED - B1K1 
I found that running around STD finding all the crates was the most fun I had in the game... then I ran out of crates to get. The rewards should've been bigger when you got new capabilities on your trolley. Otherwise, you've already figured out a way to get those rewards without the addition.

Old 21st December 2008, 03:28 AM
Bunnycomb

Free roam in Banjo? Get's boring.

Free roam in Gmod? Expected and becomes a useful tool.

Old 21st December 2008, 12:12 PM
Brash Breegull

INFECTED - B1K1 
Roaming around just isn't interesting enough for me in Nuts and Bolts, since most of the exploration aspects have been taken out.

Old 21st December 2008, 01:15 PM
Jolly Rodger

INFECTED - B1K1 
I like my Banjo free-roam, thanks.

Old 21st December 2008, 02:41 PM
Clanker

The roaming isn't good enough because it's far too easy to find challenges and Jinjos with the map icons. I loved the roaming and platforming in SDT though, that was good.

Old 21st December 2008, 10:55 PM
Jinjo

Hasn't the ability to "free-roam," although it doesn't compare to that of games such as Elder Scrolls in terms of size, been a widely appreciated feature since the premier of the Banjo-Kazooie franchise? I mean, we all have the ability to trot amongst a level (so it is non-linear) and explore a level to its fullest in order to find all collectibles/jiggies/etc.

Old 21st December 2008, 11:06 PM
Brash Breegull

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A New Pyro Fool View Post
Hasn't the ability to "free-roam," although it doesn't compare to that of games such as Elder Scrolls in terms of size, been a widely appreciated feature since the premier of the Banjo-Kazooie franchise? I mean, we all have the ability to trot amongst a level (so it is non-linear) and explore a level to its fullest in order to find all collectibles/jiggies/etc.
Well BK and BT had worlds restricted in size. Free roaming means going anywhere even if it holds no importance to the gameplay itself. It basically gives the player more virtual freedom.

BK and BT's worlds were designed in a very simple and explorative manner, yet they had guidance to them so the player wasn't totally lost. Wherever you went you were still making progress because a Jiggy was always guaranteed to be in the immediate area.

Old 21st December 2008, 11:24 PM
Custom User Title

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! RWP Donator INFECTED - B1K1 Random Award Basic Forum Rules 
I loved looking about for the part crates, apart from that its not really a free roamer..

User Tag List