Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 26th December 2019, 07:11 AM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
Games of the Decade

The 2010s are over. It's crazy, they feel so close yet so far.
A far-off dream like a scattered memory. A scattered memory like a far-off dream.

It's wild for me to think how close something like Xenoblade feels like it came out, and then to remember that it was just two years after Halo Reach, which feels so distant now.

This thread's all about games you found formative, resonating, or just a blast to play during this last decade.

I'm going to list my top ten games that came out in the 2010s but feel free to do whatever. Be they older games you only just now played in this era or your games of the year for each of these ten years.

10.Shin Megami Tensei IV
SMT is such a fun RPG series. IV isn't my favorite, but it's damn good. Demon recruitment is a blast, hitting enemy weaknesses makes me nut. Its combat is snappy.

I've got some problems with it. The series is known for being about picking a side between the angels of law and the demons of chaos. Or going your own way and slaying both forces through the neutral route. I don't mind law and chaos, but it's a step back from the choices presented in SMT: Nocturne. Plus, getting on the neutral route and having to do like all the sidequests while on that route is a pain in the ass. Still, a great game.

It has a killer style, blending Mad Max with Akira with Pokemon with I don't know, ****ing DOOM, I guess. And it's got a great OST.

I hope SMTV comes out in my lifetime.

Nocturne has Dante from Devil May Cry in it, by the way. Speaking of...

9. Devil May Cry 5
DMC IS BACK! And it's better than ever. Its gameplay feels great. The characters are all varied and are fun to learn. The cutscenes are campy as hell. Everyone is Here. It's such a great game. Capcom knocked it out of the park in 2019.

8. Resident Evil 7
Resident Evil didn't know what to do after 4 was such a big hit. But the series got its shit together when 7 came out and made what might be my game of the year 2019 with RE2.

I think 2 is a better game, but I'm going with 7 because, holy shit, if you ever get to try VR, please give RE7 a shot. VR transcends RE7 to something, unlike anything I've ever played before.

There's getting lost in a game, and then there's getting lost in a game. Reaching out to touch a wall that you then remember doesn't exist is ****ing incredible. VR is somewhat young and was even younger in 2017. And Capcom made a VR experience that I don't think has been toppled to this day.

7. Fire Emblem Awakening
It's not the best Fire Emblem, but it's my first. And it's still pretty fun.

I never really tried Fire Emblem until this decade, but it clicked when Valkyria Chronicles and Xcom convinced me to take the plunge. And I'm not alone, considering how much Fire Emblem has blown up since Awakening. Not alone in getting into it, not getting into through VC and Xcom necessarily.

Awakening was the best-selling title in the series. Then it got outsold by Fates. Later, Fates got surpassed by Three Houses. Then Three Houses won something in the VGAs.

Fire Emblem is a series about war. It's about how war tears people apart, and it's about the individuals stuck in the middle of it. That sounds deep, but the series is generally really goofy. It balances "war is fun" and "war is hell" better than it probably should.

The series is super addictive, growing and bonding with your units. Picking out and managing their classes. Nutting when you get a critical hit. I do have some problems with it. Some of the maps get long. Awakening has like three different story arcs that it blazes through a bit too quickly. Fates and Three Houses had Too Much Game, and the school management shit in Three Houses becomes a chore after a while.

Still, they're super fun, and I'm glad the characters from Smash Bros get to be in a video game.

6. Nier
I'm still undecided about putting Nier higher. I want to, but it's kind of repetitive. None of Taro's games are particularly great as video games.

Taro's titles are special as ****, though. Nier has the most likable group of murderers I've ever seen. And they're brought to life by their voice actors.

Taro's worlds are bleak, but in spite of it all, his games are somewhat hopeful. The first Nier, in particular, is about opposing forces slaughtering one-another because they both believe their causes are just. And it's hard to fault them. In the end, everyone's just trying to survive, and the inability of these forces to communicate results in humanity's collapse.

Still, Nier goes on to be reunited with his daughter, or in another ending, does the one thing he can to ensure the survival of the woman he loves. Humanity is screwed, but they try their best to live on.

Anyway, Nier got me to love Yoko Taro and his jank-ass games. He's got a unique perspective on the world, and his games aren't like anything else out there.

Also, the OST makes me cry.

5. Bloodborne
I'm tossing the Dark Souls series in here along with Demon Souls. Bloodborne is my favorite at the moment, followed by Demon's and then Dark, but those three games all mean a lot to me.

It just feels so good to play. There are a lot of imitators these days, but very few can capture the game feel.

From does a great job making the weight of your weapons feel great. People talk up the difficulty a lot, and the games can be challenging. It feels pretty good overcoming a difficult fight, and that takes me back to struggling over and over with bosses in certain older titles as a kid.

The difficulty is enjoyable, but people focus so hard into it that it detracts from the other things that make these titles great. They have beautiful landscapes, mostly excellent level design, creative and mysterious lore, quirky characters, bonfire maidens I want to wed.

I don't care for Dark Souls II or III that much. They didn't have the *ahem* Soul I felt out of Demons, DS1, and Bloodborne. I enjoyed Sekiro, but not as much as I wanted to. The parry system kind of got monotonous for me.

Anyway, I can't get enough of these games.

4. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
This game puts a big, dumb smile on my face. I love the butt rock. I love the character designs. I love when Raiden rips off the arm of a giant mech and jousts its other arm with it. I love it when he says, "Your memes end here."

It's just a big, dumb fun game and a fantastic send-off for the series.

3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
It's a fun-ass version of Smash that delivers on the thing I care about more than anything: the roster.

Seeing Snake followed-up by "Everyone is Here," and then seeing, no really, literally everyone is here made me cry.

And then they added the Belmonts, which does me so well, even if they're a pain in the ass to deal with online.

And the DLC is knocking it out of the park. Joker is a blast, and Hero inspired me to play through Dragon Quest, a series I like now. And I just learned how rad the Fatal Fury lore is.

And Nintendo did the one thing I never thought they would do, and add a character from a direct competitor.

I want 2B and Travis Touchdown and Leon Kennedy, but I'll be happy with whoever so long as they're fun.

In the words of the late Etika:
"Thank you, Daddy Sakurai."
And all the other people who work so hard on this game. I sure hope you aren't being crunched.

2. Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix
We didn't get this release until like 2015, but KH2 has meant a lot to me since 2006. I could write an essay about how formative KH and its follow-up are for me.

I've been into the series since I was 8. So I'm here for life, even though the series has been going somewhat downhill.

KH2 is such a solid action game. It's pick-up and play combat with a surprising amount of depth.

On most difficulties, you can do just fine mindlessly mashing attack. On critical, you will get your ass beat. Critical was added in Final Mix, and unlike most super hard difficulties, it's often regarded as the most fun way to play the game.

Enemies aren't damage sponges on crit. You take a lot of damage, but you all dish it like Nobodies business.

You also start with extra abilities and ability points. Abilities work a lot like badges in Paper Mario, and I love my ass some badges. It's super fun setting up and experimenting with different builds.

The Final Mix exclusive boss fights are also just some of the best bosses ever made. You get to fight harder versions of the Org XIII members, plus the Org members that were killed off in Chain of Memories.

They feel like shonen fights, and it's so good. I love KH and its dumbass, clunky mix of Disney and FF. Honestly, all the anime moments are still really cool to me, even in my 20s.

I loved re-experiencing a game that meant a lot to me as a kid and finding that, not only does it hold up, but it's even better than I remember.

1. Persona 3 Portable

It's not the best game I've played this decade, but it's probably the most important. And it's still pretty damn good.

Persona 3 hit me at the most opportune time in my life. I was finishing up my junior year of high school, putting me at around the same age as the protagonists. What's more, it's a game about death -- or more accurately, a game about endings.

In 2011, my father left, for better or for worse. The initial shock hit me hard. I felt powerless and like I was dumped to the side. Like I wasn't good enough.

My mom couldn't afford the home we were living in, the first and only house I've ever lived in. So we had to move into a trailer. Honestly, I'm incredibly lucky even to have had a place to go, but it was still shameful.

But, it was the end of a particularly bad streak in my life. My dad was a drunkard, a violent one. And it was the start of no longer having to put up with that shit.

It was around that time that I started looking more into Persona. P4 was gaining a lot of traction at the time. I knew of 3 when it first came out for the PS2. I thought its style and bizarre premise were interesting, but for whatever reason, I didn't bite until its 2011 PSP release.

I thought about hopping into 4, but Avarice advised me to start with 3. And I'm grateful for it.

Even if I didn't fully understand the themes of Persona 3 at the time, I think they resonated with me. Characters dealt with loss, with no longer being able to pursue their ambitions, with having to make changes to their lives.

The world felt alive. The friends I was making at school, in-game, felt real. I loved hanging out with and learning more about them.

It was addictive balancing school-life with dungeon crawling. Tartarus is repetitive as shit, ngl, but the combat system was cathartic. Attacking weaknesses and getting those additional turns and all-out attacks felt great.

I didn't get the appeal of turn-based combat, but P3 made it click, and now the genre is one of my favorites. It also introduced me to Shin Megami Tensei, a series I probably wouldn't have ever played otherwise, but love.

Overall, it was a journey of growth. The characters learning how to move past and overcome their traumas just as I was trying to process mine.

I also really enjoyed playing through Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5, but the writing in those games is a lot less cohesive. All three of these recent persona titles have some bad transphobia and homophobia as well, with 5's being especially egregious when you have the context that it's specifically parodying two gay activist comedians who are more well-known in Japan.

It's super ****ing shitty that these games are holding these bullshit conservative viewpoints, especially considering how much these titles lean on teenage self-discovery.

I'm willing to forgive 3 and 4 just a tad, since they were both written like 12+ years ago, and you could argue that 4 tried being progressive, albeit in a way that's clumsy as ass today. Plus, 3 Portable lets you bang Aigis and Elizabeth as femc.

But there's no excuse for it to be still present today, and it's shitty that it has to be in a series that means so much to me.

Last edited by Solid Snix; 27th December 2019 at 08:54 PM.

Old 26th December 2019, 09:37 PM
Quote of the Year '10 - '11

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
I haven't really sat and thought about this enough to make a full list yet, but after sinking over a dozen hours into Dark Souls the past week I'd have to definitely put it up there. It makes me wish I had went in blind because I had to get over my initial expectations for this game before I could really enjoy it but man is it worth it. Anyone who tries to dilute the series down to just its difficulty being its only noteworthy quality is a ****ing idiot.

Also since Fallout New Vegas came out in 2010 I'd also list it especially considering it's my favorite game of all time. Obsidian really went all out with this one despite time constraints and a shitty engine and it still remains the last great Fallout IMO. One of those games where I'm finding new things and details by the developers even after hundreds of hours of playing.

Old 27th December 2019, 12:56 AM
Mercury Star Power, Make Up~!

Total Awards: 10
Awesome Default Medal You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Game On 
I'm gonna do this thread wrong by instead do it year by year. I'm honestly really really bad at choosing favorites (ask me three different times to rank main Mario titles and I'll give you three different answers! [or six if we separate 2D and 3D]) so if I at least do it by year it gives me a smaller pool.

Maybe it'll help me come up with a top ten of the decade for a later post because I know some years had better titles / more titles than others so not everything on this list will be in my top ten of the decade.

Fake edit: I'm having a hard time just picking one title per year because some years had a lot of good stuff so I'm putting "honorable mentions" below. Just know that some of them could easily be switched out for what I wrote about (such as 2013- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Luigi's Mansion 2, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Super Mario 3D World are all stellar titles and all have their reasons for my attachment)

Fake edit 2: I'm probably missing a bunch! I'm going through online lists for what released when, but I'm realizing not everything is listed!

Super Mario Galaxy 2

What can I say? I have a hard time choosing if I liked Galaxy or Galaxy 2 more (see above), but I've at least decided that the story and aesthetic of the first is better, but the sheer amount of creative ideas built on top of the established game in the sequel is better. I spent so much time with this hunting down green stars and collecting Star Bits to unlock the final level and its Perfect Run mission. The art direction- a mix of space and, as they described, "blue sky" theme- was absolutely lovely, and Ryo Nagamatsu joins Mahito Yokota and Koji Kondo for another wonderful soundtrack for the series, mixing in arrangements of established songs from the first game as well as entirely new compositions. Also, they had Piantas from Sunshine that, ahem, "chucked ya" into the air. I'm a simple girl: I see Sunshine acknowledgement and I'm happy.

Honorable mentions: Pokemon HGSS, Kirby's Epic Yarn, WarioWare DIY, Sonic Colors

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

I liked Skyward Sword a lot. I know a lot of people had issues with the 1:1 Wii Motion Plus, but I really didn't have much in the way of struggling with it. I appreciated that a lot of the puzzles and even some of the bosses, like Ghirahim, used it. The more linear level-type approach was a bit garbage instead of the exploration I've come to enjoy from past (and future) Zelda titles, but I appreciated how each "level" was sort of a dungeon puzzle itself. Actual dungeons were very well designed as well. This is my favorite incarnation of Princess Zelda (followed by Breath of the Wild's), and I really enjoyed the story. Gotta show my love for GROOSE and the GROOSINATOR. Also, the impressionistic art style made the game a sight to behold, even for a standard def Wii title. Zelda joins Mario in "we use live instruments now" starting with this game. Good soundtrack!

Honorable mentions: Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Sonic Generations

Pokemon Black 2 / White 2, Style Savvy: Trendsetters
I'm torn between talking about Style Savvy: Trendsetters or Pokemon BW2, so I'm gonna do both but in shorter paragraphs.
I liked Black White a lot, but while I liked Unova, navigating it was.. linear. BW2 fixed it some with new cities and towns and sometimes you'd jump out of order to other cities based on the story. I liked it a lot! I have a lot of appreciation for the Gen V dex, and BW2 brought some great additions like the PokeStar Studios movie making game and the Pokemon World Tournament. I liked N's story in the first game more, but Plasma's story overall in BW2 more. Great soundtrack, both original BW tracks and the new tracks for BW2.
I wasn't expecting to like Style Savvy: Trendsetters much- a sim game about selling clothes in a boutique? But the actual store stuff is good, trying to match what your customers want for style. Also, anything you buy for your shop, you get one of yourself for your avatar so I mostly just bought goth and punk clothes, really for me, and just happened to start selling them in my shop. Sequel games have more to do, but Trendsetters is special to me.

Honorable mention: New Super Mario Bros. U, Kid Icarus Uprising, Paper Mario Sticker Star

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

First year I'm legitimately struggling to pick just one (and not do what I did for 2012), so I'm gonna have to give it to the man in green, Luigi! I don't think anyone really expected a Luigi's Mansion sequel over a decade after the original came out, but Nintendo and Next Level Games delivered! They made it work best they could for a handheld without a C-Stick. While the mission structure instead of just exploring a mansion (or five) on your own made it harder to lose myself in, the missions and puzzles themselves were really fun. Good sound design and music, too. They do a lot of neat stuff with just a vacuum! I especially like the humor- some people preferred the slightly more 'serious' horror take from the first game, but the second is bursting with charm and humor as they subject poor Luigi in all sorts of situations.

Honorable mentions: Super Mario 3D World, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Fire Emblem Awakening, New Super Luigi U, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Wii Fit U

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Holy shit what a game. Retro Studios crafted, in my opinion, a title that can stand toe to toe with Rare's best. Maybe the Snowmads weren't as iconic as the Kremlings, but I think they were a lot more interesting than the Tiki Tak Tribe in Returns. And they brought with them a story and worlds all their own, instead of following Rare's games like Returns did. Returns had great level design, but Tropical Freeze had its own identity on top of that level design. Also, you could team up with Cranky Kong and that's pretty wild. David Wise returned to score the music (with, from what I understand from his twitter, Kenji Yamamoto helping with some of the boss music), and what a fantastic score he wrote. Some returning classics (In a Snow-Bound Land was a surprise!) and a lot of new and original pieces that I love.

Honorable mentions: Bayonetta 2, Pokemon ORAS, Mario Kart 8, Kirby Triple Deluxe

Yoshi's Woolly World

This game was adorable. It felt like Good-Feel's previous, Kirby's Epic Yarn, but really just the best parts of it. In more ways, it felt like a Yoshi title than another Epic Yarn, which was good! Another fantastic soundtrack by Tomoya Tomita. It was a little slower than a normal Yoshi's Island game, but not enough to deter gameplay. Level design was great, art direction was great. I liked the follow-up, Crafted World, a lot, but I think Woolly World is a better game.

Honorable mentions: Splatoon, Super Mario Maker

Kirby: Planet Robobot

I was going to talk about Paper Mario Color Splash but I actually did a long post about it some time ago, so please check it out!
I like Kirby games a lot. I think the music is always really good and King Dedede is amazing and I love him and while I know it's a 4Kids dub choice I consider Texan drawl Dedede to be canon in all the games and it makes it so much better. I was worried about Planet Robobot because it felt like it was just this game's gimmick, not unlike the Super Copy Abilities in Return to Dreamland or the Hypernova inhaling in Triple Deluxe (two games I adored, but felt those gimmicks didn't lend much). But the robot suit was great! It could copy powers too! And they did a lot of fun puzzles and stuff with it. I liked the aesthetic a lot- Dreamland mixed with heavy machinery! Classic bosses like Kabula and Meta Knight now mechanized! Music a mix of orchestra and synth! Suzie and Haltmann's story was sad, and the boss flavor text for the final set of bosses makes you realize how dark it gets by the end. I love it.

Honorable mentions: Paper Mario: Color Splash, Style Savvy Fashion Forward, Star Fox Zero, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pokemon SM

Super Mario Odyssey

Yeah, okay, like there was any other real option for me. I don't think there's a bad 3D Mario title in the bunch (even 3D Land and World had their own creative ideas, especially the latter, which I loved a lot), but having a new 3D Mario that lets you just explore to your heart's content like in 64 and Sunshine was just wonderful. There was some missed potential, admitted, like the Ruined Kingdom having very little to see and do when the aesthetic was so cool, but on the whole it was a really fun game. New Donk City was super good, and I cried during the New Donk Festival. CAPturing enemies was a really fun gimmick, and using them to find secrets was a lot of fun. One thing I really liked about secrets was that there were a lot of places that felt like you were getting to where you maybe shouldn't be, but then you'd find a pile of coins rewarding you for getting into such "out of bounds" areas. A fantastic soundtrack of course: Naoto Kubo, Shiho Fujii, and Koji Kondo (who got to write a lot more than he has been lately) wrote something magical. Do you know that I love big band music a lot? So Jump Up, Superstar! is something that appeals to me so heavily. "I'll be your 1-Up girl!"

Honorable mentions: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, Style Savvy Styling Star

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

If 3DS / Wii U were sort of in between Melee's fast pace and Brawl's slower / floaty pace, Ultimate is also in between but closer to Melee. I liked it a lot! It's got a ton of characters! It's got a ton of music, both new remixes for this game as well as past remixes from other games! It's got Banjo and Kazooie, and I mean, that's pretty cool, right? It's such a weird game in terms of roster- Nintendo (and Nintendo-like) characters like Mario and Mega Man and Sonic, alongside Cloud, Ryu, Snake, Bayonetta.. I love it. Also it's got Rosalina AND now Daisy, and I can't argue with that. I'm curious to who comes out of the final DLC character before the next wave (since Sakurai did confirm they're doing even more after this season pass is over), because I never would have expected Persona, Fatal Fury, and Dragon Quest, all getting representation, so whoever comes next is going to be entirely surprising.

Honorable mentions: Kirby Star Allies, Mario Tennis Aces

Super Mario Maker 2

I really want to list Astral Chain because it looks so cool!! But I picked it up at launch but haven't gotten to play it. So Mario Maker 2 it is! It's bigger than the first! There's more stuff! More level types! New music! More stage elements! 3D World as a new theme! A story mode! I'm hoping a future update will give us Super Mario Bros. 2 USA as a new game style because I hold a lot of love for the original game. Mario Maker 2 definitely steps back a little in a few regards, like the bonus costumes from the Mystery Mushroom, as well as lacking the excellent Super Mario Maker Bookmarks website the first one had, but on the general I like it a lot and I want to spend more time with it.

Honorable mentions: Luigi's Mansion 3, Yoshi's Crafted World, Fitness Boxing, Pokemon SwSh

I'll try to come up with a top ten this weekend, so watch this space!! It's really tough, though- even this post was tough!!

Last edited by Zondekel; 27th December 2019 at 02:35 AM.

Old 27th December 2019, 03:15 AM
a quiche

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 
I don't know if I actually played 10 games that came out this decade. In full, I mean. Not a real gamer, please shoot at me with bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthConker View Post
Fallout New Vegas
But this would be on my list

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthConker View Post
it still remains the last great Fallout IMO.
Also I agree

Spoiler:
OH SHIT, DOES MINECRAFT COUNT?(even though the alpha technically first dropped in like 2009)HHHHAHAHSHSGGGFHAGGAGGSFGA, F***

Spoiler:
Yeah also I played uhhh

Yooka-Laylee
Catherine
Skyward Sword
Fallout 4
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Ready Player F**k

still thinking

Spoiler:
Pokemon Go

Spoiler: (highlight to view)
No it's cool, I can shoot myself, thanks
Are you really sure? Yes, I'm sure Clicking this link will show a major spoiler. Don't do it if you don't want to know! Show Me!
Are you really sure? Yes, I'm sure Clicking this link will show a major spoiler. Don't do it if you don't want to know! Show Me!

OH, doof, Space Funeral came out in 2010. Good, welcome to the list

Last edited by pastiche; 27th December 2019 at 04:24 AM.

Old 27th December 2019, 01:25 PM
a banana peel

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! RWP Podcast Rarity Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
Most people have been counting Minecraft as a game of this decade, due to its official release being in the decade.

Old 27th December 2019, 06:32 PM
a banana peel

I played a lot fewer games in the 2010s than I remembered. I got busy and life started taking more and more time. So here are, in roughly chronological order, 10 games I have good feelings about.

Heavy Rain

I mentioned this in the good memories thread, but I played through this game in roughly one sitting (maybe two nonstop days) after renting it from Gamefly. I will not claim that it's a perfect game; it's cheesy. But the way it made me feel the first time through, when I had heard nothing about the game and was just getting invested, still stick with me.

Rock Band 3

As a child, I was told that I couldn't sing, and so I didn't. But then Rock Band came around. My friends had one guitar and one drumset, and so I stuck with vocals. And I really enjoyed it! And I was good at it! It was the first time I ever had confidence in my voice. Now I've ordered a bunch of voice acting equipment that's arriving today, and I'm hoping to get back into it as a hobby.

Catherine

Wow, I thought this was such a mature game. I thought I was an adult playing this game. In reality, the game is cheesy on purpose, and a little rough in a lot of story ways.

Really, I remember this game often as a manifestation of how there's always room to grow. I remember the way I answered those questions when I was younger, and how naive I was about people.

Also the puzzles are good.

Minecraft

There's not much I can say about Minecraft that hasn't already been said. It was a great outlet for my creativity.

But more importantly for me personally, it was the sole reason I ever learned anything about using Linux or running servers. That's something I do as a job nowadays, so it's impossible to downplay how formative it was.

Persona 4 Arena

I'm putting this on here over the actual Persona games. The Persona games are neat and formative for me for sure, but much in the same way Catherine was.

Persona 4 Arena is on here because it was the last fighting game I was ever good at.

NintendoLand

I got this bundled with my Wii U, and I played it a lot with my sister and her friends. It's really one of the best casual multiplayer games out there. Shame it's back on the Wii U. Maybe I'll pick one up again when they're cheap again.

FNAF series

I never even played FNAF, but Scott Cawthon is a constant inspiration. He listened to the people that criticized him, took their feedback seriously, and spun it into one of the biggest franchises of this decade. Go buy a 2020 FNAF calendar today.

Undertale

Undertale is rad and fun and creative and compassionate. It's a reminder that you can make something weird and from the heart and become successful. You don't have to worry about what's going to sell, just make what you want.

Stardew Valley

Stardew Valley got me through college. I used to destress by laying on the couch and playing this game for hours on end. So relaxing, and even to this day I relax with it. It's multiplayer now! It's so nice and peaceful!

Death Stranding

It was important for me to have a 2019 game on this list, and Death Stranding is my 2019 game of the year.

It's not perfect, but it's interesting. It makes me feel calm. I can't wait to get back home, lay under my weighted blanket, and go on spooky hikes with my fetus and my 200lbs of packages. It's satisfying to navigate from one city to the next. It's comfortable. It's a good video game.

Old 27th December 2019, 06:33 PM
a banana peel

Honorable mention to Punch Out Wii, which came out in the middle of 2009 but I didn't play until like 2010-2011, and is the best game ever made.

Sorry for double posting.

Old 27th December 2019, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Total Awards: 8
You're Appreciated! Puzzle Six Awesome Default Medal RWP Donator RWP Podcast 
Ten favourite games that I played, but weren't necessarily released, 2010-2019, in no order of significance

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Goldeneye
Peggle Deluxe
Pokemon TCG GB 2
Metal Gear Solid V
Dark Souls 3
Football Manager 14
Killzone 3
Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Maker

Special mentions to Hitman 2017 and Stuntman: Ignition

EDIT: And Hydro Thunder Hurricane which might actually deserve a place in the 10 over BotW

Last edited by Danny Trabajo; 28th December 2019 at 03:40 PM.

Old 28th December 2019, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Total Awards: 8
You're Appreciated! Puzzle Six Awesome Default Medal RWP Donator RWP Podcast 
Superb post

Old 28th December 2019, 03:57 PM

I really want to play Goemon- it's not the first time it's come up on the RWP / discord and it looks and sounds really good. I have the side scrolling sequel, and I enjoyed it a lot but I know it's a lot different from the first one.

Old 28th December 2019, 06:22 PM

I meant to add in my previous response, but I'm also super happy for your love of Castlevania 64. It's a title I love and hold near and dear to my heart and I know a lot of people don't like it so I'm glad you also love it so much. I want to play Legacy of Darkness but last I looked it was a little pricey. What I do know is that it features an arrangement from another Castlevania game I love (but is usually forgotten [but has been included in the anniversary collection recently]), Bloodlines.

god the music (and the soundfont) for the 64 games is so good

Old 28th December 2019, 10:55 PM
Quote of the Year '10 - '11

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazam
An underrated element of the first Castlevania game, in my opinion, has always been the "danger jumps" that look visually impossible and require such finesse to time properly. Castlevania 64's got 'em too, and they're even required to unlock the hardest difficulty level, as well as alternative outfits for the characters.
Oh god the Castlevania Adventure on the original Game Boy LOVES sprinkling those kinds of jumps throughout, or at least ones that you can only just barely make. It and 64 are also the only Castlevanias I've played, so good to know it's a recurring element of the series.

Old 29th December 2019, 05:36 PM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
The Castlevania discussion is reminding me of two games that I’m not sure if I’d put on my games of the decade list but are really damn good.

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon might be the best game that inti creates has put out. It’s up there with Rondo of Blood as one of the best classic Castlevanias. Fully upgraded Zangetsu might be the most fun castlevania character. He feels so fluid even in the methodical Castlevania control scheme. It almost becomes a Megaman Zero game at that point.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is far from the best IGAvania. It’s janky, kind of bloated, not very well balanced, and has a rushed ending. But it scratches that itch left by games like Symphony and Aria. I enjoyed grinding shards and making broken builds. Pumping everything into 8-bit fireball is an easy way to melt everything, but I love the build where you combine the infinite ammo hat, diamond bullets, and the cloning ability. It puts four Miriam’s on the screen who unleash a barrage of bullets. I like to call that build the “firing squad.” It’s not quite as effective as 8-bit Fireball, but it still more than melts anything in the game. Miriam by the way: cute AF. Love her design.

Anyway, RotN was the first title of a new studio. It was ambitious, and you can see where they were learning the ropes. They still put out a pretty solid title and I can’t wait for what they do next.

I hope we get another title from Inti to go along with it.

Last edited by Solid Snix; 29th December 2019 at 06:02 PM.

Old 29th December 2019, 06:58 PM

I backed the Bloodstained project at a fairly high tier and I don't regret it. Even on the kinda janky Switch version I loved it. Yes it could have been better but it was still very enjoyable. Miriam's design was super good. Great soundtrack too. Can't wait to see what's next.

Old 30th December 2019, 07:37 AM
Missing Hero

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
My Top-Play games released in 2010s:

Portal 2
Black Mirror II
Black Mirror III
Dreamfall Chapters
Yooka-Laylee
Syberia 3
Shenmue III