Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 26th March 2008, 02:27 AM
Most Missed Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 8
SteamLink Verified Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Viva Piñata TiP Mastery 
To be honest, I think that I like Mandolin's description of Giga Bowser better than I liked the entire "plot" that the actual developers came up with .

What's sad is that my favorite video game story ever is FF7's... and the same guy made Brawl's. I wonder what his limitations were.

Old 26th March 2008, 03:03 AM
Alumni Staff

Total Awards: 1
Awesome Default Medal 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Jinjo View Post
I think that leaving a character "dark and mysterious" is just a plot device to dodge coming up with a real plot .
QFT.

(Yes, I said that.)

Old 26th March 2008, 06:00 PM
Formerly Nintendo_Fan128

INFECTED - B1K1 
The SSE was amazing. My only complaint is that some characters didn't do much stuff. Olimar? He just TRIED to beat a giant ROB. Yoshi? ...I don't remember seeing him do anything! Mr. Game & Watch? He just appeared after that one boss battle, carried Peach's parasol and never did anything after that xD And what about Jiggly, Wolf and Toon Link? They don't even take part in the story, geez!

Old 26th March 2008, 06:02 PM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
Wolf should totally have been one of the Dark Cannon-toting bad guys.

And the way of obtaining Ivysaur was a pretty cheap shot, too.

Old 26th March 2008, 06:19 PM
Grunty's Reject

Total Awards: 9
Reminiscence Chatterbox RWP Donator INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast 
I didn't like the SSE too much. I mean, it was okay, but that's as high as I would rate it. It got boring and repetitive rather quickly and the story seemed very random. One case in point, Sonic's appearance at the end. I know he was a late addition in the development, but his inclusion to the story was just so tacky. I also thought it would have been cooler if instead of some weak Kirby-esque platformer, there would have been more focus to each of the characters' games. For example, level one is a Mario game. Level two is a Zelda game. Level three is a DK game, and so on. Instead we have all the Nintendo characters gathered together for who knows what reason when the villainy shows up.

I don't know... I sort of tend to prefer Melee's Adventure Mode over this because it was quick and easy to pick up. The SSE takes a few hours to get through. Both have their pros and cons though. Knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't have picked up Brawl if the Subspace Emissary was a standalone game.

Last edited by Gruntling; 26th March 2008 at 06:25 PM.

Old 26th March 2008, 06:27 PM
Formerly Nintendo_Fan128

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruntling View Post
It got boring and repetitive rather quickly and the story seemed very random.
I like randomness xDD I didn't find it to get boring and repetitive. In fact, I couldn't stop playing it once I selected that mode... I got so curious to know what happened next, and the levels were very fun!

And I love how we don't get 100% just by clearing it It's a bit of a challenge to find everything.

Old 26th March 2008, 06:35 PM

SteamLink Verified Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Viva Piñata TiP Mastery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruntling View Post
I didn't like the SSE too much. I mean, it was okay, but that's as high as I would rate it. It got boring and repetitive rather quickly and the story seemed very random. One case in point, Sonic's appearance at the end. I know he was a late addition in the development, but his inclusion to the story was just so tacky. I also thought it would have been cooler if instead of some weak Kirby-esque platformer, there would have been more focus to each of the characters' games. For example, level one is a Mario game. Level two is a Zelda game. Level three is a DK game, and so on. Instead we have all the Nintendo characters gathered together for who knows what reason when the villainy shows up.

I don't know... I sort of tend to prefer Melee's Adventure Mode over this because it was quick and easy to pick up. The SSE takes a few hours to get through. Both have their pros and cons though. Knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't have picked up Brawl if the Subspace Emissary was a standalone game.
Wait, are you saying that you wouldn't pick up Brawl (everything besides the SSE) or that you wouldn't pick up the SSE as a game itself? I agree with basically everything else you said, though.

Old 26th March 2008, 06:38 PM
Grunty's Reject

Reminiscence Chatterbox RWP Donator INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast 
Quote:
that you wouldn't pick up the SSE as a game itself?
This.

Old 26th March 2008, 06:39 PM

Right. Then in that case, I agree with all your points .

Old 26th March 2008, 07:16 PM
B-K Nostalgia

Great Maze was a bit tiresome.

The game is still awesome, though.

Old 26th March 2008, 07:28 PM
Most Underappreciated Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 3 Participation Award 
Gave me something to do for a day. I never want to play it again, really.

I played through it on co-op. The multiplayer aspect was fun for awhile, but became annoying when your friend would die and take the character you wanted to be next (would've rather had some kind of selection-thing afterwards, but that's just me). The whole plot itself didn't line up for me at all. Plus, the Master Hand looked to be bloody with those hooks in it; that scarred me for life (...HA!). The adventure in itself was long, boring, and not too exciting. For instance the parts where you are looking for that one door you missed (and don't realize you have a map with you 24/7 ) in the ruins to advance to the next part. Overall, I don't want to play it again and prefer the use of the coin launcher game. Yeah, that's right.

I also enjoy "classic" mode much more, but even that has more cons than before (but that's for a different topic).

Old 26th March 2008, 10:18 PM
Emergency Medical Hologram

RWP Donator INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Thread Starter RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award 
Quote:
I didn't expect much from it
Sure, Grey. Sure.

Old 26th March 2008, 10:22 PM
Showdown Town Tour Guide

Total Awards: 11
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Awesome Default Medal RWP Note Medal RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekuScrubby View Post
Sure, Grey. Sure.
He didn't expect much from the Subspace Emissary.

This post has allowed me to deduce that you CAN'T be this dumb, and are in fact, just trolling.

Either that, or wow.

Old 26th March 2008, 10:28 PM
Emergency Medical Hologram

RWP Donator INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Thread Starter RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award 
I was kidding. I was poking fun at the fact that he clearly expected a lot from this game as he purchased a Japanese Wii and a Japanese Brawl AND an American Brawl.

Old 26th March 2008, 10:30 PM
Showdown Town Tour Guide

Total Awards: 11
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Awesome Default Medal RWP Note Medal RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekuScrubby View Post
I was kidding. I was poking fun at the fact that he clearly expected a lot from this game as he purchased a Japanese Wii and a Japanese Brawl AND an American Brawl.
Um, while he may have expected a lot from the game overall, that doesn't mean he expected much from the Subspace Emissary. SSE is not the only part of the game that exists you know.

Tags
brawl, smash, smash bros., smash bros. brawl, sse, subspace emissary, super, super smash bros.

User Tag List