Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 30th April 2009, 01:35 AM
Dingpot

The next generation

When do you think the next generation of gaming systems will come out.
Based on the gamecube to wii ratio i would say in about 2011 or 2012.

Nintendo seems to be running out of names: Nes, Snes, N64, Nintendo game cube, Nintendo Wii, whats next? Nintendo Gii?

Sony has a good thing going with simple names like Playstation, playstation 2, playstation portable, and playstation 3. I bet the next one is called Playstation 4, I also enjoy how almost no one calls Playstation by its name (PS2, PSP, PS3) anymore.

Xbox will most likely be xbox720 like everyone else says.

I wish they would just make a hybrid game system so then people wouldnt have to buy so much crap. I would call it the The Nintendo Station Box X or NSBX for short.

Your thoughts

Old 30th April 2009, 01:45 AM
Humba Wumba

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
I am still waiting for the nintendo dolphin/revolution.
I don't think the xbox will call it 720.
I mean, the 360 is symbolic because it has a bunch of circles, which are 360 degrees.
What shape would they use for 720 degrees?

Old 30th April 2009, 01:56 AM
Dingpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The banjonater View Post
I am still waiting for the nintendo dolphin/revolution.
I don't think the xbox will call it 720.
I mean, the 360 is symbolic because it has a bunch of circles, which are 360 degrees.
What shape would they use for 720 degrees?
Maybe it will be callled the Xpyramid. I could see it now....

Old 30th April 2009, 02:12 AM
Glowbo

If it were the X-Cube it would be a total Gamecube copy .

Old 30th April 2009, 03:07 AM
Glowbo

1. Xbox came out looking like a big block, and was very heavy. It looked like a box.

2. Xbox 360 was sleeker, lighter, and bit rounded at edges. It was becoming more round.

Solution
Xbox will either come out with a console shaped like or modled towards another shape, or will continue the evolution and become more round

Possible names: Xbox Sphere, Xbox Dome, Xbox Pyramid

Old 30th April 2009, 03:24 AM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
The XSphere.

Old 30th April 2009, 10:10 AM
Dingpot

I'm not sure what the next generation will bring. I don't think we'll see any more groundbreaking control systems. It remains to be seen whether Nintendo will further optimize the Wii hardware, or return to a more conventional system, as there were very few games on the Wii that made any great use of the Wii's unique systems apart from those released by Nintendo and other developers particularly close to Nintendo.

As to whether any of the other gaming supergiants will choose to branch out into anything innovative, I think it is unlikely, and they will simply push to further optimize the hardware they already have. Microsoft especially, being a 'Western' based company doesn't see the large market for new control systems that companies like Nintendo and Sony are likely to see. However, Sony's strategy has always been to stay at the forefront of emerging new technology and will likely cram this into their Playstation 4.

It is my belief that Nintendo will remain the forerunner of groundbreaking gameplay systems, and Sony and Microsoft will remain largely constant, as they have these past generations.

Old 30th April 2009, 07:31 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Hee View Post
However, Sony's strategy has always been to stay at the forefront of emerging new technology and will likely cram this into their Playstation 4.
Well, let's hope that when they do come out with PS4, they won't make a creepy commercial like they did for PS3.

this is one freaky baby

*shivers* Uuugh, man that baby creeps me out.

Old 2nd May 2009, 07:43 AM
Hello Sadness

Total Awards: 6
INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Chatterbox Awesome Default Medal INFECTED - B1K1 
Nintendo are least being slightly original with their names and I doubt they're running out of names to give their consoles.

and unfortunately a hybrid console will probably never happen due to the three companies no doubt squabbling over royalties.

Old 2nd May 2009, 12:28 PM
Hello Sadness

Total Awards: 6
INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Chatterbox Awesome Default Medal INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazam View Post
Microsoft will be first, with the Xsphere, in 2011. It will launch with Madden 12 and some games nobody cares about, and won't receive its first true blockbuster hit until a year later when Gears of War 4 comes out. Sony, who just barely survives this generation thanks to a well-timed release of a remake of FF7 in 2010 that sells a bijillion copies, releases the Playstation Evolved in 2012. Nintendo waits until 2014 when they release their new console, which will have a dumb name and a controller you use by attaching to your head and using brain waves to play games.
No, by the end of this generation, Nintendo will have got everyone in the world playing video games, so their next console is going to be aimed squarely at visiting martians.

Dr Kawashima's Tentacle training, anyone?

Old 4th May 2009, 02:04 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Vile View Post
Nintendo seems to be running out of names: Nes, Snes, N64, Nintendo game cube, Nintendo Wii, whats next? Nintendo Gii?
Why the hell do you think this? Japan has 120 million people, I hardly doubt they are running out of names, just trying news ones out. If they didn't people would hate them because of their unoriginality and
patheticness <--(if that's a word)

Quote:
Sony has a good thing going with simple names like Playstation, playstation 2, playstation portable, and playstation 3. I bet the next one is called Playstation 4, I also enjoy how almost no one calls Playstation by its name (PS2, PSP, PS3) anymore.
Not really. Playstation 4 will be their next pile of crap. I don't know what you mean about 'I bet'. It makes them predictable and easy to guess. I prefer consoles which surprise me (not in a negative way) so really

Quote:
Xbox will most likely be xbox720 like everyone else says.
No it won't be, Microsoft are not that sad. I am willing to guess the rumour makers used a calculator to work it out. Besides, apart from double 360, wtf does 720 mean or have to do with gaming?

Quote:
I wish they would just make a hybrid game system so then people wouldnt have to buy so much crap. I would call it the The Nintendo Station Box X or NSBX for short.

Your thoughts
Although your inferior choice of a name makes me want to vomit into a bag and fling it into every idiot's face, the concept of a coalition console does sound appealing.

If the three companies worked together, they have the potential to build the ultimate console. Trillions of pounds could be used to design and make them, which would account for massive technological feats to take place. They'd even have a wide selection of games, because it would be a hybrid-orgy of Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft and the smaller game manufacturers they tend to rip off.

But, alas, there must be some negative effects about this. Jumping to the ultimatum will spoil the slow journey we have enjoyed since the 70s. Imagine playing pong in those days, then come back in and suddenly find an N64 in the 70s!!!!!

So, from what I conclude, the effects of such a hybrid will be bad. Keep it the same, even though Xbox is the best.

Last edited by Snagprophet; 4th May 2009 at 02:12 PM.

Old 4th May 2009, 03:01 PM
Prof. Swazzle

Total Awards: 7
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Note Medal Basic Forum Rules RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
For the record a hybrid system would never happen anyway but would also be illegal. Competition between companies is good and there are laws protecting it, it's why there's different brands available in supermarkets, car manufacturers and videogame companies etc. There's been issues in the past in the UK at least of supermarkets working together to fix prices which they've been fined for because it's against the law.

Basically competition means the companies are always competing to create newer and better products offering them for different prices so the consumer always has a choice of what to buy. By fixing prices or working together then there's no incentive to ever build anything better as there's no one else to compete against and the consumer's worse off because the companies would be exploiting the business by working together.

I'm not the best at explaining it but a hybrid console is a pretty bad idea in the long run because it ends up worse for you, it's illegal for a reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competition_law

Old 4th May 2009, 04:07 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Lightning View Post
For the record a hybrid system would never happen anyway but would also be illegal. Competition between companies is good and there are laws protecting it, it's why there's different brands available in supermarkets, car manufacturers and videogame companies etc.
Well, this is a fair point which we cannot ever ignore. Imagine the fascism we would be living under to have a single company serving the world?

Tags
nintendo, playstation, xbox 360

User Tag List