Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 25th August 2011, 12:25 AM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueytheWalrus View Post
Am I the only one that thinks the first DKC is the best in the series?
It's a stellar game, probably the most streamlined platformer I've played short of the original Super Mario Bros. The art style and soundtrack have a really cool "rustic" flavor the other games in the series lack. But once you've played the other three, you wonder how the series ever got by without coins, hidden tokens, the animal buddies' special moves, a hidden world, and other additions like that. It's a great game, but it needed some spicing up.

Old 25th August 2011, 02:42 AM
Dingpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJiggies View Post
DKR is at the top of my list. I only have 3 on my list though.
Diddy Kong racing isn't exactly part of the country series... or even considered on par with DK64. Unless it is? I guess it could be...

Old 25th August 2011, 11:53 PM
Clanker

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
So am I the only one who's picking up on the fact that everyone's picking on a ten year old for doing exactly what a ten year old would do with their first internet connection?
I mean, I get that he's a bit of a loud mouth, but he's just excited about finally finding a Rare fansite, even if he is a day late and a dollar short on the Threeie discussion.

Of course, I say all this assuming that most users participating in this ordeal are closer to my age...

Oh, and welcome to the site, kiddo, this will probably be our only interaction because I only log in every few months to see if Rare's back to making creative games, which they aren't.

And one more thing, any program that is billed as a "game creator" or "game builder" is not a way to program anything, as everything is already programmed for you. Owning or using one of those programs does not make you a programmer. Try to find a Visual Basic class in your school or something; that's what I learned on and it's a pretty quick learning process. Of course, I can't remember shit at this point beyond a simple "Hello World" process, so be sure to keep in shape.

Old 26th August 2011, 07:15 PM
Clanker

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Your off on my age, which I will never reveal on the internet until i'm at least 18.
I rest my case.
Did you get your parents' permission before going online?

Better yet, do commercials on Nickelodeon still say that?

Old 27th August 2011, 06:37 AM
Glowbo

I thought Nuts & Bolts was 'Threeie, and they just gave it a more inviting title for newcomers. There was a lot of years between it and 'Tooie, and they figured new people would potentially be scared off, not having played the first two. That's what I think happened, anyway. It's totally a third full game in the series, and isn't a reboot. There are constant visual, audible, and interactive references to the first two games throughout. Even the characters in the game are always referring to the N64 adventures.

I think some BK fans just got all butt-hurt that it wasn't a platformer in the same way the N64 outings were, and refused to accept that Nuts & Bolts is Banjo-Threeie, just under a more acceptable name considering the amount of time that had passed. For the record, I ****ing loved Nuts & Bolts! Totally lived up to my expectations. I felt it basically was still the same concept as the original. You had worlds, and within the worlds you had jiggies. The difference was that instead of figuring out which moves to use in order to get the jiggy, you had to figure out what kind of vehicle to build in order for bear and bird to get their hands on it.

I wouldn't have changed Nuts & Bolts in any way, except maybe change the title back to Banjo-Threeie. Totally boss game, in my opinion! They had more-or-less worn out the platorming gameplay within the context of Banjo-Kazooie by the end of the second game. Seriously, can you imagine fifteen more moves on top of the ones you got from BK and BT? By the end of BT your controller is literally struggling to provide buttons for all the moves (on N64 and 360!). In fact, loads of the moves are tied to button combinations for this reason. They just ran out of buttons.

Furthermore, the gameplay itself had broken ground in BK (with a lot of help from Super Mario 64), and was (in my opinion) perfected in BT. Aside from giving you some nicer graphics, a platforming Banjo-Kazooie game on current gen would just be the same old shit with a new lick of paint. Even new platform games today don't really offer anything new above Banjo-Tooie, gameplay-wise. My favourite platformer of the past five years or so is Psychonauts, purely because it gave me an intriguing story concept where the worlds were people's minds, and you destroy their fears and emotional-baggage. Interesting as that is, the gameplay is just your standard N64-ish platform romp. Nuts & Bolts gave us a familiar, yet totally new and unique experience. I loved it, and don't understand the apparent hate people have for it.

I've attached some pictures I took in-game with the awesome camera feature they included. Credit for the London bus goes to a chap called Artmonkey. The rest are mine. I ummed and arred over whether to include my offensive vehicle, but decided not to. I'm new here, and don't know how it would go down!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg artmonkey_londonbus.jpg (106.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg banjo_ad_pikelet.jpg (98.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg jinjo_and_minjos.jpg (98.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg KI3_02.jpg (97.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg nutty_acres_scenery03.jpg (103.9 KB, 13 views)
XBLA: Mart7n. I have Banjo-Kazooie, Tooie, Nuts & Bolts, and Perfect Dark. Currently no Gold, but that can change at any time if enough people show interest (particularly in Perfect Dark multiplayer matches).

Last edited by Martin; 27th August 2011 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Adding thoughts.

Old 27th August 2011, 07:27 AM
Jolly Rodger

Viva Piñata TiP Mastery 
People who say "Nuts & Bolts is Banjo-Threeie" are annoying. GoldenJiggy is asking for a new game.

Old 27th August 2011, 08:15 AM
Glowbo

Great input, Walecs. Well done. Care to elaborate on why I'm annoying? At least I gave a whole bunch of valid reasons for my opinion. Then you just call me "annoying". I'm pretty sure insults like that are against site rules, as well. Is anybody who holds a differing opinion to yours 'annoying'?
XBLA: Mart7n. I have Banjo-Kazooie, Tooie, Nuts & Bolts, and Perfect Dark. Currently no Gold, but that can change at any time if enough people show interest (particularly in Perfect Dark multiplayer matches).

Old 27th August 2011, 08:32 AM
Jolly Rodger

Viva Piñata TiP Mastery 
I didn't want to offend you, and I like Nuts & Bolts too (though the original are uncomparable to it), but when someone asks for a new game named Banjo-Threeie, you don't take an old game and change its name. Think what would happen if Rare made Kinect Sports 3 and named it "Conker's other bad day". Would you be happy? Rare would be right, we asked for Other Bad Day, and we got it.

Old 27th August 2011, 09:12 AM
The Redemption Award '10 - '11

Total Awards: 2
Rarity INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
I don't watch Nickelodean. I watch USA, and for what you know I could be 17 with my birthday tommorow, but I won't tell. I'll just let you think whatever you want while completely avoiding the topic of my age. For all I know, you could be ten, but I highly doubt it.
Twelve then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
Great input, Walecs. Well done. Care to elaborate on why I'm annoying? At least I gave a whole bunch of valid reasons for my opinion. Then you just call me "annoying". I'm pretty sure insults like that are against site rules, as well. Is anybody who holds a differing opinion to yours 'annoying'?
I love you man. Like <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walecs View Post
I didn't want to offend you, and I like Nuts & Bolts too (though the original are uncomparable to it), but when someone asks for a new game named Banjo-Threeie, you don't take an old game and change its name. Think what would happen if Rare made Kinect Sports 3 and named it "Conker's other bad day". Would you be happy? Rare would be right, we asked for Other Bad Day, and we got it.
You are seriously getting on my nerves. BK Nut's N Bolts was the successor to Tooie that makes it THREEIE. So get over it.

Last edited by King Gobi; 27th August 2011 at 09:47 AM.

Old 27th August 2011, 09:49 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
I didn't want to offend you, and I like Nuts & Bolts too
OK, but in future you should probably not call total strangers "annoying" for absolutely no (good) reason.

Quote:
(though the original are uncomparable to it),
I simply disagree. All three games feature; A hub world, sub worlds, jiggies within said sub-worlds which must be collected to advance through the game. The concept is very, very similar. The same, even. How it's executed differs. I don't have a problem with that fact, and think any straight platformer would have been kind of boring and worse than Nuts & Bolts. The platforming thing has been done to death. N&B was unique and fresh, whilst still totally comparable in loads of ways to the original games.

Quote:
but when someone asks for a new game named Banjo-Threeie, you don't take an old game and change its name.
Perhaps we're having some kind of language-barrier? You missed my point entirely, which was that Nuts & Bolts is Banjo-Threeie. People like yourself talk of 'Threeie as if it were some cancelled, mythical game that's out there somewhere locked in a vault. Too much Stop 'n' Swop has gone to your head. If they developed a new Banjo game with the 'Threeie moniker, it wouldn't be that mythical game you salivate over. It'd be some newly-made game with the words "Banjo-Threeie" slapped on it to make the likes of you shut your mouths.

The only Banjo-Threeie "stuff" I've ever seen is the world's shittest fake cover art for an apparent GameCube release of "Banjo-Threeie", with laughably cobbled-together title pasted over a Banjo-Tooie promotional image. Fake as Jordan's tits. If there ever was a Banjo-Threeie, it's the game that came out for 360 in 2008 which was renamed during development so as not to alienate new customers. If that game was never internally referred to as 'Banjo-Threeie' at any point during development, then there never was a Banjo-Threeie, and the name itself is just a joke from the end of the second game.

Quote:
Think what would happen if Rare made Kinect Sports 3 and named it "Conker's other bad day". Would you be happy? Rare would be right, we asked for Other Bad Day, and we got it.
Totally irrelevant example, which also makes no sense. Why would they name some Kinect Sports game after Banjo-Kazooie? Just because you put forward unanswerable questions, that doesn't make you "right".

Old 27th August 2011, 09:58 AM
Jolly Rodger

Viva Piñata TiP Mastery 
All I'm saying is that GoldenJiggies asked when Rare will make a new Banjo-Kazooie game, and you started talking about Nuts & Bolts is Banjo-Threeie. It's not the point. He referred to a new game, he probably doesn't care about the name, Threeie, Nuts & Bolts, Spanners & Washers, Fourie or whatever.

Old 27th August 2011, 04:41 PM
Mecha-Grunty

Quote:
Oh, I like this guy. It's making it harder to decide who my pick for Best New Member will be this year, though.

Old 28th August 2011, 05:33 AM
Dingpot

Quote:
I thought Nuts & Bolts was 'Threeie, and they just gave it a more inviting title for newcomers. There was a lot of years between it and 'Tooie, and they figured new people would potentially be scared off, not having played the first two. That's what I think happened, anyway. It's totally a third full game in the series, and isn't a reboot. There are constant visual, audible, and interactive references to the first two games throughout. Even the characters in the game are always referring to the N64 adventures.

I think some BK fans just got all butt-hurt that it wasn't a platformer in the same way the N64 outings were, and refused to accept that Nuts & Bolts is Banjo-Threeie, just under a more acceptable name considering the amount of time that had passed. For the record, I ****ing loved Nuts & Bolts! Totally lived up to my expectations. I felt it basically was still the same concept as the original. You had worlds, and within the worlds you had jiggies. The difference was that instead of figuring out which moves to use in order to get the jiggy, you had to figure out what kind of vehicle to build in order for bear and bird to get their hands on it.

I wouldn't have changed Nuts & Bolts in any way, except maybe change the title back to Banjo-Threeie. Totally boss game, in my opinion! They had more-or-less worn out the platorming gameplay within the context of Banjo-Kazooie by the end of the second game. Seriously, can you imagine fifteen more moves on top of the ones you got from BK and BT? By the end of BT your controller is literally struggling to provide buttons for all the moves (on N64 and 360!). In fact, loads of the moves are tied to button combinations for this reason. They just ran out of buttons.

Furthermore, the gameplay itself had broken ground in BK (with a lot of help from Super Mario 64), and was (in my opinion) perfected in BT. Aside from giving you some nicer graphics, a platforming Banjo-Kazooie game on current gen would just be the same old shit with a new lick of paint. Even new platform games today don't really offer anything new above Banjo-Tooie, gameplay-wise. My favourite platformer of the past five years or so is Psychonauts, purely because it gave me an intriguing story concept where the worlds were people's minds, and you destroy their fears and emotional-baggage. Interesting as that is, the gameplay is just your standard N64-ish platform romp. Nuts & Bolts gave us a familiar, yet totally new and unique experience. I loved it, and don't understand the apparent hate people have for it.

I've attached some pictures I took in-game with the awesome camera feature they included. Credit for the London bus goes to a chap called Artmonkey. The rest are mine. I ummed and arred over whether to include my offensive vehicle, but decided not to. I'm new here, and don't know how it would go down!
W-we need to be friends- can we be friends?! IT'S LIKE YOU'RE INSIDE MY HEAD. Everything you're saying is exactly what I say when I try to defend how awesome N&B is, and how it's totally threeie, and how I'm totally happy about that.

Quote:
Dude, your analogy doesn't make any sense. Rare wouldn't name KS3 that because it has no relevance to Conker in any way. At least with N&B, it's canon. This is factual. It begins with a cut-scene directly relating to the past games. If they were to call the next Banjo game Threeie, it wouldn't be correct. This is factual. I am so angry.

Quote:
All I'm saying is that GoldenJiggies asked when Rare will make a new Banjo-Kazooie game, and you started talking about Nuts & Bolts is Banjo-Threeie. It's not the point. He referred to a new game, he probably doesn't care about the name, Threeie, Nuts & Bolts, Spanners & Washers, Fourie or whatever.
He brought up the N&B = Threeie argument because GoldenJiggies isn't referring to a new game, he's referring to an actual Threeie, because N&B was somehow inadequate. I am furious.

Last edited by Bahooney; 28th August 2011 at 05:40 AM.

Old 30th August 2011, 03:50 PM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
I like Martin too. Here's hoping I get to play Nuts & Bolts sometime soon so I can see what he's talking about.

Old 30th August 2011, 03:58 PM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Total Awards: 13
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter SteamLink Verified Awesome Default Medal RWP Podcast 
As much as I like Nuts & Bolts, it's not Banjo-Threeie. It's Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. There really is no debate here, if the game wasn't named Banjo-Threeie then it isn't Banjo Threeie.

Tags
banjo, kinect, nintendo, rare, sonic

User Tag List