Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 18th June 2011, 01:08 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowz View Post
I remember one that stood out to me - at the start of the game there's a Jamjars silo which tells you to press UP to go through doors or talk to people. But by that point you've already gone through several doors and pressed 'up' to initiate the conversation with Jamjars himself!
I sure I wrote the 'press UP to talk and walk through doors' tutorial also on the very first 'controls' page that happen before you play on Mumbo's mountain. But yeah well spotted
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpaco View Post
Just out of curiosity, where did you get the all of the models used in your game?
No models, just 2D sprites. I literally just pressed PRINTSCREEN loads on the BK rom and grabbed every single frame from one angle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpaco View Post
Besides some other obvious bugs, I really enjoyed the style of the whole thing. A lot of the pieces of Grunty's Lair translated surprisingly well to a 2D plane. I think you could do some really interesting things with this if you can clean it up a bit.
Thanks alot, much appriciated. With everyone's comments took onboard I now know how to make the second chapter actually enjoyable to play. As I said, I'll post up an engine demo so the public can figure out any bugs before making an entire game with a crap engine.

Old 18th June 2011, 03:25 AM
Dingpot

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
I beat the first lever with ease, but trying to exit is a pain in the ass. Can anybody tell me a easy way to exit the damn thing. :S

Old 18th June 2011, 07:20 AM
The Redemption Award '10 - '11

Rarity INFECTED - B1K1 
Remind me never to say bugs again.

Old 18th June 2011, 09:50 PM
Best Rarely Active Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 4
Game On RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal 
Yeah... I appreciate what you're doing, but this game needs A LOT of work. Glitches are everywhere. You should really take your time instead of rushing it out by a deadline. Release it when you think it's ready to go, not when everyone else wants it to be released.

Old 18th June 2011, 10:07 PM
Glowbo

With Bottles' Glasses you could achieve a higher level of graphical quality. You can export the models and textures exactly as they are ingame, and then render them out in some 3D software at a much higher resolution. This would also save you the work of having to cut them out of low res screenshots since most 3D software will let you render out an alpha channel as well.

Of course you could also use those models and make a full fledged 3D game in the UDK with relative ease. Only thing missing is animations.

Old 20th June 2011, 01:37 AM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
Whoa! I hadn't realized we had this going on! It looks amazing!

I think I'd like it more if it had original sprites, though. Maybe something a bit more 2D. Other than that, I'm blown away!

Old 20th June 2011, 03:48 AM
Glowbo

These are the type of results you can achieve:

That image has nice anti-aliasing and transparency--you could easily drop it against any background and it would look smooth. Not to mention, nothing is stopping you from throwing in higher res textures, or even custom textures, and fancy lighting.

Last edited by SvalinnAsgard; 20th June 2011 at 04:09 AM.

Old 20th June 2011, 04:35 AM
Glowbo

This is so nice, I had to register.

Congratulations on this project. It made me consider ideas for a 2.5D platformer where one could walk into the levels and have the camera align sideways again, ever seen anything like that?

Old 21st June 2011, 08:11 AM
Formerly Frozyn

INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence 
Alright. Before I compliment the game, I'm going to tell you things you should improve. (I do have compliments, though.)

Now, I think the very first problem I had was with jumping; ctrl is an awkward button to press for jumping. I would suggest you switch the ctrl key with something else, like shift or space. (or preferably give your players the option of setting their own keys.)

Next is the platforming system. I know you said earlier in this thread you were going to get a new one or somethin' but the platforming system was aggravating at times. Just to name a few:

Pressing down while going up into a wall will let you float in the air

You don't jump as high on the spring pads when you are walking.

You have to kinda wait when banjo jumps to do the beak buster. It makes it kinda hard to do.

You should also see if you can program in platforms that you can jump through. That would be nicer.

I also going up the platforms that would slide down was a bitch. Just sayin'.

Now, last of the problems: I drowned inside fungi forest, and then the game froze and I lost all my progress for that world. Was kinda disappointing.
I was also easily able to memory edit the game. Dunno how, but you should probably do something to protect your game from that.

The graphics for the game were pretty awesome. Sometimes it looked awkward, but overall it was pretty damn awesome to look at. The music was pretty awesome too. I mean the music made for this game, it feels just like banjo music, I especially love the creepy colony music. Its just awesome.

So in conclusion, I think this fangame was pretty great. Just work on the platforming system and the controls and it will be better. Can't wait for the next chapters broham.

Old 21st June 2011, 04:29 PM
Glowbo

I love the game I already download the first chapter XD

Old 24th June 2011, 09:14 PM
Glowbo

this game looks brilliant mate. i love how the textures are the same, it looks like it will be worh a play

well done good job

Old 24th June 2011, 10:49 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 
I just played your game and it could some working, may I suggest a few things?

Bug Fixing

I ran into one glitch as I haven't passed the first level yet. To the left of the Ticker Regenerator, I tried going through the door and ended up in the boss room except I, myself, wasn't there. I couldn't continue the text either; forcing me to quit the game.

Level Polishing

I like the fact that you're ripping everything direstly from the games themselves, but a little editing couldn't hurt. It's a little hard for me to figure out what's part of the background and what I'm standing on. Take a look at this screenshot:

It's very simple to identify what's what; your game is...a bit cluttered, but that should be easy to fix. On another note, the level itself looks fine - but I wouldn't use vines as walls you can't pass through.

Control Polishing

Using "Up" to talk and "CTRL" to jump very awkward and I sometimes find myself pushing "Up" to jump instead. This may have contributed to the glitch I mentioned earlier, but the screen flashed so quickly I had no idea what happened.

I would recommend chaning it to:
"Up" to jump
"Down" + "SpaceBar" to shoot eggs
One of the keys on the top row to pause the game and/or talk to characters.

Hope I helped!

Old 10th July 2011, 05:27 PM
Glowbo

Exclamation I noticed something that wasn't meant to have been there...

In the original B-K games, there wasn't any swearing; granted, something else (mostly penis-shaped islands and stuff), but it wasn't as noticeable. Remove the "noticeable" adult-type stuff and this just might wow Rareware.

P.S.: I am not a member of Rareware, Inc.; in fact, I'm a member of mssmjscss, INC., I'm founder, and I think Rareware makes damn good games (as I have and do play them!).

Edit:
This was meant for the Banjo-Threeie post, nothing else.

Last edited by mssmjscss; 10th July 2011 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Made a small mistake.

Old 30th July 2011, 06:38 PM
Glowbo

Are you planning on putting the sprites you ripped from BK online?

Old 31st July 2011, 01:34 AM
Jolly Rodger

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
I...I think I'm in love. D:

User Tag List