Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop

Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop SNS? Bottle's Revenge? Share your thoughts on the mysteries of the Banjo series and discuss the new Stop 'n' Swop features in Nuts and Bolts and the XBLA games

Old 9th March 2005, 04:36 PM
Bunnycomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo-Fella
They were done exactly like the demos were, as far as I know. Somebody acted out those videos by moving Banjo around as you would while playing, and the controller actions were recorded. That's how it's done usually, as far as I know. I've seen them glitch up on occasion, by the way. I once saw Banjo fall all the way to the bottom of the centre pillar of Sharkfood Island while on his way to the top. Naturally, he kept jumping and flip flapping, but seemingly randomly.
If the actions were recorded - is it possible for mistakes like that to occur?

Also, if it is recorded so to speak, why is Wozza not there? Was the game played by the team in a debug mode...?

Old 9th March 2005, 06:14 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo Koolzooie
If the actions were recorded - is it possible for mistakes like that to occur?
Yes, whenever there is lag, the game is still pushing the buttons, but the game didnt catch up to the pushing of the buttons, so it messes up.

Old 9th March 2005, 06:20 PM
Bunnycomb

You see, it's not recorded like a video, that would - obviously enough, take up bugger-loads of space. Instead, key-strokes are recorded. I'm not sure about Wozza, but Snacker was probably removed from the scene as he could probably appear at a random place in the sea, which might just cause Banjo to go off-course on his way to Sharkfood Island.

Old 9th March 2005, 08:10 PM
Alumni Staff

Total Awards: 1
Awesome Default Medal 
The wozza thing could be a clue...
Or maybe they just recorded the SnS stuff before finishing the level design

Old 10th March 2005, 12:33 AM
Dingpot

Or maybe they have a switch to turn Wozza and Snacker off, and then use that switch when playing the demos. I don't think recording the SnS stuff before finishing the level would have any effect on there being Snacker or Wozza there - it must read from something in the game already, and it would waste too much space to have a separate early level design in there.

Old 10th March 2005, 02:30 AM
Jinjo

In Treasure Trove Cove, were the crabs missing? And what about the snowmen in Freezey Peak?

Old 10th March 2005, 02:55 AM
Admin of Awesome

Total Awards: 21
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Chatterbox SteamLink Verified 
We don't see enough of the levels to tell.

What I want to know is:
Since the pictures are just the buttons being pressed and not a movie (which thinking about it they had to be because there is a GS code to take control of Banjo). That means that what we are seeing is all in game. Is there an address in the memory that the pics access that refers to the real raising of Sharkfood Island or is it the same address as we already know.

I don't know if that made any sense at all but in my head it does

Error ID: 10T. Rage Buffer overflow.

Old 10th March 2005, 04:55 AM
Jolly Rodger

RWP Note Medal 
I think they removed Wozza from the ending demo, so he/she wouldn't talk and end up screwing the game text... Same thing with the shark...
When you are in her cave she talks ramdomly at some times, so what if she talks at the same time as mumbo? And why they removed Wozza and didn't remove the jinjo? they could have removed him too, since banjo avoids picking the jinjo up, for no reason at all.

Also, I dunno if this is old, did you guys see this interview?
http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=401
Is this fake?

Old 10th March 2005, 05:19 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaorBR
Also, I dunno if this is old, did you guys see this interview?
http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=401
Is this fake?
uh-huh.

besides:
Q: So how would you get the four eggs you needed?
Anon: After completing certain tasks in Tooie, Blackeye the pirate would give you secret codes you could use in Banjo Kazooie to gain access to the eggs. Use them on the sandcastle floor just like cheat codes.

so the codes would most likely still need to be in kazooie. but subdrag/ice (forget which) said that there's no more codes in the table. besides, even if they were, why would rare program two sets of codes for each egg to do the same thing? either that or there would be no cutscenes for the raising of the island, opening of gobi's door, etc, which just seems lazy. highly uncharactaristic of rare.

Old 10th March 2005, 02:07 PM
Bunnycomb

I think that if any codes were to be given, it would be the "debug" SNS codes - after all you do get a small scene after each is entered...perhaos they were supposed to be used? And the reason "Cheat" is entered is because well - the SNS items do lead to certain "cheats" and hence "cheat" at the start of each code.

Perhaps.

Old 14th March 2005, 06:49 PM
Alumni Staff

Awesome Default Medal 
I dont actually think the debug codes would have been used, for this reason:
If you look at the enterance to the ice key chamber after entering the codes, there are cracked glass fragments around the frame of the enterance, which suggests that somewhere, there would be a cutscene of the glass smashing. I think there's probably more to it, but since we havent managed a cutscene editor yet, we have no way of checking that...

Old 14th March 2005, 08:03 PM
Holy thunderforce

INFECTED - B2K1 
what about studying DK more?
(read mi post in the other games section)

Old 15th March 2005, 12:39 AM
Glowbo

I just remembered something:

On several occasions while watching the TTC Egg Movie, when Banjo is jumping up the platforms, about 3/4 of the way up I will have gotten bored and start pressing buttons. When I do this, sometimes Banjo MISSES a platform and falls to the bottom then the cutscene ends. It seems that about 3/4 of the way up the game accidentlly accepts user input for a second, and if your pressing the control stick, Banjo will move. If only you could gain control perminantly or while standing next to the egg.....

Old 15th March 2005, 01:28 AM
Formerly Banjo's Banjo

Total Awards: 2
Awesome Default Medal RWP Note Medal 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pizza Boy
I just remembered something:

On several occasions while watching the TTC Egg Movie, when Banjo is jumping up the platforms, about 3/4 of the way up I will have gotten bored and start pressing buttons. When I do this, sometimes Banjo MISSES a platform and falls to the bottom then the cutscene ends. It seems that about 3/4 of the way up the game accidentlly accepts user input for a second, and if your pressing the control stick, Banjo will move. If only you could gain control perminantly or while standing next to the egg.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grilox
Yes, whenever there is lag, the game is still pushing the buttons, but the game didnt catch up to the pushing of the buttons, so it messes up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo-Fella
You see, it's not recorded like a video, that would - obviously enough, take up bugger-loads of space. Instead, key-strokes are recorded. I'm not sure about Wozza, but Snacker was probably removed from the scene as he could probably appear at a random place in the sea, which might just cause Banjo to go off-course on his way to Sharkfood Island.
As they said, the egg cutscenes at the end are keystroked. Much like how pressing random buttons during the "demo" parts of older games (the Sonic games come to mind) will cause the character to mess up a bit in it's movements, same applies here. So I sort of doubt that's the solution.

Old 15th March 2005, 04:37 PM
Bunnycomb

Well, with gameshark codes you can control BK on the cutscenes and collect the egg. It would only be a glitch eitherway, and not the intended way to collect the egg.

As for the ice key enterance: Yes I know about the glass shards around the side. Also the ice panel covering it is actually 2 images. Perhaps it was meant to smash? Or perhaps it was 2 pieces to make add some soet of effect to it? I dunno.