Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 13th October 2008, 05:54 PM
Clanker

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Reasons why we shouldn't want a fourth.

So, I know anyone who has played the original trilogy has at one point, deep down inside, desired a fourth installment or wondered why there wasn't one. I'll admit, I would be pretty stoked if Rare had started development on it but it got stuck in release limbo and it somehow showed up again and was given a proper release.

But to ask for a new Donkey Kong Country game fifteen years later would be a bad idea.

Knowing Nintendo, they wouldn't allow Rare to have full control over it, instead, they'd give guidelines as to what they want to see (i.e. super edgy, "innovative" touch screen use to distract from actual substance in the game).

Also, if the game followed suit with the rest of the games, Kiddy would be the main protagonist, which no one wants, no matter how much we loved Dixie's Double Trouble, and they'd have to introduce a new kong as his sidekick, which judging by the creative output from Nintendo in the last six years, wouldn't be too welcomed by the gaming community, but would still be crammed into every spinoff game in this generation, until the fifth game came out (because you know it would), where they'd replace him/her with their new sidekick.

Plus, DK64 was pretty much DKC4: It picked up where the trilogy left off, it introduced new sidekicks with similar dynamics to characters left behind, gave a Donkey Kong/Rare take on Mario's latest gaming standards and brought Donkey Kong and his pals to a new generation of gamers. Also, if I remember correctly, initially, it was named Donkey Kong Country 64 before it just became Donkey Kong 64.

I know, there's still all the possible positive aspects of the new game, such as reviving the dying DK franchise, bringing old (and new) gamers back to Donkey Kong and Nintendo, and just overall providing us with another chance to beat up K. Rool and save something important to the Kongs (whether it be the Bananas or themselves), but the chances of Rare and Nintendo being able to provide that are slim to none. Sorry.

Old 13th October 2008, 08:03 PM
On DKVine

Total Awards: 6
INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Wiki-Master Rarity Awesome Default Medal 
Fourth DKC won't happen anytime soon, didn't Miyamoto say he disliked Rare's take on DK?
Also, they would probably have PAON create it if it were to ever happen. :/

Old 13th October 2008, 08:08 PM
Jinjo

i don't really want another one. i still haven't got round to playing the first 3 even though they're on the virtual console XD. i always liked the look of dk64 though but couldn't get it 'cuz of the expansion pack thingy, but if that comes out on vc then i won't really crave a new dk game. seeing as the franchise is kinda "meh" as of recent years, i reckon they could do something completely wacky with a new game, but due to the name, it would be less of a risk as it's gonna sell no matter what they do to it XD. i think it would be good if they used the dk name as a sort of "safety net" to try out a new take on an old genre (like what rare is doing with vehicle platforming in N&B) without there being too much of a risk of it being a complete flop and waste of money. i mean, if they make another dk game that is.

Old 13th October 2008, 08:30 PM
Jolly Rodger

Total Awards: 3
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 9 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
They should try something new or make a DK64 type one again.

Old 13th October 2008, 08:54 PM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewadict
Also, if I remember correctly, initially, it was named Donkey Kong Country 64 before it just became Donkey Kong 64.
I think the name was originally Donkey Kong Ultra.

Old 13th October 2008, 09:28 PM
Jinjo

I'd take a new DKC over DK64 any day. The premise would include the entire Kong family teaming up against K. Rool who is trying to take over various, real world continents. The game starts you out as DK, and you eventually unlock other Kongs with different abilities later on. You can switch out which two Kong team you take into the levels at save points.

Old 13th October 2008, 11:54 PM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
A next DKC installment should exist on nothing other than the home console. In this case: the Wii.

I feel the same way about the rumored SMRPG II.

Old 14th October 2008, 06:16 AM
Jinjo

Random Award 
I really don't think there be a DKC4. the closes thing we'll probably ever get to another DKC game is the DK: Jungle Beat and/or the two DK Swing games.

Old 14th October 2008, 06:48 AM
Bunnycomb

another DK64 game would be cool, DK64 was awesome

Old 14th October 2008, 04:20 PM
Formerly Nintendo_Fan128

INFECTED - B1K1 
What if Rare doesn't make the game? Paon could do the job, Jungle Climber was actually a good game.

Old 14th October 2008, 04:46 PM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
Hey... wattabout the one "Similar to DK64" they were designing for the Wii?

Did it turn out to be... hoodoo?

Old 16th October 2008, 05:55 AM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 4
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 6 Participation Award 
as much as i would like to see a real successor to those games, sadly i doubt it will ever happen. i am almost certain that miyamoto didn't like Rare's take on DK in the first place (i think that was stated in retro gamer) and it wouldn't be right if done by any other company or if done on one of the recent counsils.

it is a shame that the good old sidescrollling games are dying off for the most part. there have actually been times where i have lost lives in the DKC games because i was mezmerizes by how good the backgrounds and level designs were. modern games kind of piss me off because it seems like they are gradually drifting farther and farther from there roots.

anyway, i would love to see the DK come back to form but i doubt it will happen anytime soon
The aliens from Independence Day let us know. You know what we did? We stood right on the target, cheered them on, and tried to be friends. What happened to us in Independence Day ConkerKing? WHAT HAPPENED? -Tanjo

Old 16th October 2008, 06:30 AM
ᴅʀᴀɴᴋ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴜɴᴄʜ

Total Awards: 5
Imagination Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Doesn't matter anyway... Donkey Kong is dead. Nintendo's made sure of that.

Rare knew how to treat DK better than Nintendo ever did. And I think when Rare went out the door, they forgot to clue Nintendo in on how to be a good parent to the franchise.

Old 16th October 2008, 07:22 PM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 4
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 6 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I'd take a new DKC over DK64 any day. The premise would include the entire Kong family teaming up against K. Rool who is trying to take over various, real world continents. The game starts you out as DK, and you eventually unlock other Kongs with different abilities later on. You can switch out which two Kong team you take into the levels at save points.
besides the real world continents that actually sounds like it would make a pretty good idea. each kong would have their own special abilities and you would have to team them up correctly to reach certain bonuses and hero coins. unfortunatly nintendo could never do something like this right
The aliens from Independence Day let us know. You know what we did? We stood right on the target, cheered them on, and tried to be friends. What happened to us in Independence Day ConkerKing? WHAT HAPPENED? -Tanjo

Old 16th October 2008, 10:35 PM
Clanker

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpaco View Post
besides the real world continents that actually sounds like it would make a pretty good idea. each kong would have their own special abilities and you would have to team them up correctly to reach certain bonuses and hero coins. unfortunatly nintendo could never do something like this right
yea, the real world continents idea is too mario is missing! for me.

but i think that a kong game where you could choose the tag team you bring in would be cool. itd take the best of the trilogy and combine it with a near perfect combo of 64. as long as its not collection based like dk64, itd be cool with me, haha.

but youre right, nintendo couldnt pull that off. and if somehow they did, the game would look really bad because miyamoto hated rares take on donkey kong.

User Tag List