Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 22nd January 2006, 06:19 AM
Glowbo

Hello all,
Through some round-about way going through google, rareware.com, and multiple fan sites I ended up here and I must say I am pleasantly surprised. For quite a while I have been attempting to mod the Goldeneye ROM (since Goldeneye fan-games are a tad bit difficult to come by) but haven't had much luck. Granted this has been due mostly to me not feeling like messing with the encryption and the fact that I haven't thought much about it in a couple years but anyway, I'm rambling. This is my first time on these forums and, reading this topic, it seems a few questions have been left unanswered. Since I think I'm going to start hanging around here, I thought I might try to answer some of them.

It was asked how a ROM compares to a zip file. Think of it like this. You have a box. This box is the ROM. Inside the box are a bunch of other boxes, each of which are locked. Now, you can't open the boxes without unlocking them. The stuff inside the smaller boxes are equivalent to the data (levels, sounds, music, textures, etc). You can't view these things without decompressing them first. However, no matter what you do to the smaller boxes, it is extremely difficult (if at all possible) to find out what the contents of those boxes are made of. The stuff that makes up the contents represent the code used to create the game. Basically, it's like having a bunch of zip files smashed into the same file, except they are locked with different keys. A program that can unzip files (such as Winzip or Winrar) doesn't have the keys needed to open those boxes. Without those keys, you can't see what the contents of those boxes are. That is what SubDrag is partially stuck on (I believe). He has some of those keys, but not all of them. So he can open some of the smaller boxes and get at the contents, but can't get at all of the contents (such as sound).

It's a rather long winded description, but I think it covers everything. I myself am a Visual Basic programmer and so although I cannot do anything major (such as create a Goldeneye Level Viewer), I can hold my own in a discussion on ROMs.

As far as blowing up walls goes, it could be useful in some cases. I am reminded of the scene in Perfect Dark where you needed to blow through the wall in order to continue the mission. So perhaps having limited wall destruction wouldn't be a bad idea for single player mode. Of course, that is still quite a long way off.

I am really surprised just how far Goldeneye research has come. Until now, I've been watching the data on detstar.com and had no idea that the Citadel has been made into a playable level (or so the downloads page would have me believe, the link is broken).

trevor, what program did you use to make those models? I have been using AC3D, which has a free 30-day trial, and Blender, which is open-source, to create levels for Uru: Ages Beyond Myst. AC3D is very easy to use, and produces great models (I forget, however, whether the trial version allows you to save or not). Blender can be quite evil when you first use it as it's UI is not New-User Friendly in any way. However, if you set some of the options correctly and work with it for a while, it actually becomes quite easy to use (and as anyone in the Uru forums over at COBBS will tell you, coming from me that means a lot).

Well, I guess I've made this post quite long enough. I'm not sure I've ever written a post this long before.

Visit Jaguar Electronics

Old 22nd January 2006, 01:28 PM
Clanker

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
I used anim8tor, some say it isn't good but I think it is. The more I use it the more I know, thats how I updated that model though now even thats outdated to what I can do. Anim8tor is completly free (which is good) but is still in production.

Have you looked at the only other GoldenEye editing thread 'map hacking', MrHTFord managed to extract the levels and has a preiveiw on it.

Trev

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know how people like Subdrag and MrHTFord find out all the codes, and what they program in.

Trev

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using the island code in DAM I got to here. Does it ever end, you cant just keep going forever can you?

Trev

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody touch the vids!!!!!! They are for BigG

trev

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another BigG(or anyone else )

Trev
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (59.6 KB, 110 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip anim8.zip (800.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: zip vids.zip (668.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: zip 007BETA.zip (55.0 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by trevor; 17th March 2006 at 06:15 PM.

Old 21st March 2006, 12:59 PM
Glowbo

Hey nice 007 movie

Old 26th March 2006, 01:29 PM
Clanker

INFECTED - B1K1 
Hey Grant can you not read?

Well it doesn't matter.

Oh you were asking for the site with the beta stuff, here http://goldeneye.detstar.com/

Anyone got any answers?

Trev

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

disco level

No there is no changing geomatry at all, in fact theres no change to the ROM either. Not to mention you can't do that yet as MrHTFord and SubDrag have left
( NOOooo.... My dreams have been crushed, I realy wanted to edit GoldenEye, the best game in the world)

Wait MrHTFord said he still looks now and again...

Here i.... No actualy I'm going to wait untill the compatition thingy.

By the way I don't even look in the creative cavern so pm me the location.

Trev
Attached Files
File Type: zip discolevel.zip (21.4 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by trevor; 22nd April 2006 at 12:06 PM.

Old 22nd May 2006, 07:20 PM
Glowbo

Hey Trev can you get on the modding wiki because I can't. Its on about not being able to display.

Can somebody (probably you shell) EXE the level extractor, Thanks

Old 23rd May 2006, 11:32 AM
Clanker

INFECTED - B1K1 
Yeh I had trouble last night, but I can get on now. Agh All the text is huge..!

Trev

P.S. I wounder if Grey reads his PM's?

------------------------------------------------------
Shadowman here is the GoldenEye tex editor.

Trev

------------------------------------------------------
GoldenEye Subforum
We aint getting it, however:
"One thing you could do is make the group INCREDIBLY active so as to force the issue."

We just have to use here.

Trev
Attached Files
File Type: zip textureEd.zip (2.36 MB, 27 views)

Last edited by trevor; 27th May 2006 at 12:30 AM.

Old 14th June 2006, 09:50 AM
Glowbo

How wonderful! We make games just for costumers to destroy them and do construction on them.

Old 14th June 2006, 06:10 PM
Jolly Rodger

RWP Note Medal 
Noooo! People are destroying our 9 years old, million-seller, multi-awarded blockbuster game!!!
WHY ARE YOU BEING SO CRUEL?!?!

Come on, think of the poor Rare!

Last edited by LaorBR; 14th June 2006 at 06:17 PM.

Old 15th June 2006, 12:26 AM
Runaway from the Past

Total Awards: 5
INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 4 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 1 Participation Award 
Exactly. People are being so cruel to the game by further extending its lifespan.

Old 25th June 2006, 05:22 PM
McLovin

Total Awards: 3
INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal Random Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Guy
Exactly. People are being so cruel to the game by further extending its lifespan.
Ban stick.

Old 1st July 2006, 02:43 AM
Jinjo

Trevor, are you making new levels out of the Goldeneye engine? Wow, that sounds awesome. I'd like to create a few mysel.f

Old 1st July 2006, 10:32 PM
Glowbo

I'm just getting into this myself, though I've read through MrHTFord's thread a couple of times. Yesterday I was going over the Complex and decompressing the background models, trying to identify how the textures are chosen and positioned. I was able to find and modify the images, switching them with ones from the temple stages. This is something I was doing for fun, while learning through experimentation. It allows for a lot more freedom than simply swapping out a texture using a ROM Image Editor, which replaces the actual texture itself. This, if mastered, would allow you to completely customize the style of the map. Not sure if I'll finish it, but it was looking pretty neat.

The Egyptian Complex (in progress)
Results of a test

Old 7th July 2006, 04:53 AM
Jinjo

That's neat, Wreck. With fusing textures, you could attempt a "Bank" level where you kill Oddjob like in the movie Goldfinger.

Old 8th July 2006, 02:01 PM
Clanker

INFECTED - B1K1 
Well "auhin" talking about making levels from other movies, that was my dream. When I found out that Sub and that were editing GoldenEye I Have always wanted to edit it fully and it time make my 'own' game but using the all time classic of GoldenEye. It would technicly still be GoldenEye but different. The first thing I was goint to do was using the model above hide in it computers that would ask if people wanted to help. Then I was planning on getting everyone helping in making Die Another Day.

Akhhh It was a dream but it will take a while if it does come true.

I would like it if someone would either post the models from the game or EXE the code.

Trev

Old 13th August 2006, 09:36 AM
Glowbo

I don't know if it helps the creators of the editor progress any faster, but someone on another board is making an editor for super mario 64.

http://board.acmlm.org/thread.php?id=1350

If it really is a level editor for sm64 it looks pretty good.

Tags
007, editor, goldeneye, levels, replace

User Tag List