Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 17th June 2011, 05:48 AM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
LOL! I love it so far! The first cutscene was unintentionally funny... I loved Blackeyes walking animation, LOL!

And the grammar is bad, but not too much of an issue.

I'm just about to start playing, yipee!

Edit: Please tell me I'm not dumb and that the first boss is really hard!? By the way, I liked the backstory as to why Creepy Colony is in the lair now.

Edit 2: Done the first level... just curious how to get out of the level now!?

Edit 3: Extremely frustrating. Leaving the first world with the required amounts and then accidentally entering again means you must complete the first world ALL OVER AGAIN.

Edit 4: I glitched. See attached image. I was knocked into the lake by those bad guys and can no longer continue Nabnut's speech... so I am frozen and must reset the game.

Edit 5: Same glitch happened to me again... took me ages to get back there.

Notice how my comment has gotten more and more negative.
I don't hate the game, but I have stopped playing from 'Edit 5'... way too frustrating.

(Pasted directly from my post on RWC)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FungusForestGlitch.jpg (46.9 KB, 27 views)

Old 17th June 2011, 06:14 AM
The Redemption Award '10 - '11

Total Awards: 2
Rarity INFECTED - B1K1 
Genius is spelt like that.

Oh and when I beak busted that first hive it replayed it like five times also the sound doesn't flow.

Have you tested this game?

Edit: Looping sound glitch is ticking me off.

Old 17th June 2011, 07:20 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyT94 View Post
Edit 4: I glitched. See attached image. I was knocked into the lake by those bad guys and can no longer continue Nabnut's speech... so I am frozen and must reset the game.

Edit 5: Same glitch happened to me again... took me ages to get back there.

Notice how my comment has gotten more and more negative.
I don't hate the game, but I have stopped playing from 'Edit 5'... way too frustrating.
Yeah the program I use is well buggy but that never happens to me. you must hit the baddy just before talking? my tester should have picked these up- I think he was a retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Gobi View Post
Genius is spelt like that.

Oh and when I beak busted that first hive it replayed it like five times also the sound doesn't flow.

Have you tested this game?

Edit: Looping sound glitch is ticking me off.
Yeah I spotted genius too
The sound loop only happens if you've got low RAM for some reason. just try not to multi task- if not then it's your computer because it works fine for me

- making a let's play will cause this because recording the screen and sound requires a lot of ram

Last edited by danbridge; 17th June 2011 at 07:23 AM.

Old 17th June 2011, 07:47 AM
The Redemption Award '10 - '11

Rarity INFECTED - B1K1 
Huh. Maybe get multiple testers?

Edit: K jump animation is ticking me off he jumps stops midair and then lands because distance is too close =.=

Last edited by King Gobi; 17th June 2011 at 08:13 AM.

Old 17th June 2011, 08:56 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Gobi View Post
Huh. Maybe get multiple testers?

Edit: K jump animation is ticking me off he jumps stops midair and then lands because distance is too close =.=
how about stop winging like a little girl. the program I use is cheap and buggy, im not gonna pay loads for an proper program if I'm not going to make money from it. don't play it if you don't like it

Old 17th June 2011, 11:30 AM
Dingpot

RWP Donator INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbridge View Post
how about stop winging like a little girl. the program I use is cheap and buggy, im not gonna pay loads for an proper program if I'm not going to make money from it. don't play it if you don't like it
Whoa, dude. I think he was just giving out some constructive criticism. I would think that as the creator, you would want to know about any glitch that is found, so you can fix it and make the game run smoother.

EDIT: Hot Damn that's a big file for a fan game. Might download later when my internet isn't being a bitch.

Last edited by Pattt; 17th June 2011 at 11:37 AM.

Old 17th June 2011, 12:30 PM
Glowbo

I can't get the 3rd jiggy in creepy colony for some reason (where you have to jump right from the jump pad. I think...?)
Also the music loops for me too :[

Bro tip - Use game maker for chapter 2

Old 17th June 2011, 02:43 PM
Holy thunderforce

INFECTED - B2K1 
Just started playing this. Collision detection is really bad, especially when jumping, you get stuck to everything that's close to you, including the borders of the screen o_O

Old 17th June 2011, 03:45 PM
Dingpot

INFECTED - B1K1 
I like looking through this thread at all the positive posts saying how amazing it looks and *******, and now that it is available people are bluh bluh it is buggy and annoying.

I just have an unrelated question, is this the first fan game (finished or otherwise) to use what appears to be actual images/polygons/I do not know what they are called from the original games?

Old 17th June 2011, 03:56 PM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Total Awards: 13
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter SteamLink Verified Awesome Default Medal RWP Podcast 
This game plays like shit, but looks incredible. I hate that you can't jump forward when walking against a wall or object. In the first level with the ants, I hated how quickly they respawned at the bottom. I died there multiple times, you should increase the time before they respawn by about four seconds.

The key to beating the ant boss is standing under the eggs and shooting it nonestop, and when the big ant gets close to you, jump toward the top right-hand corner to avoid getting hit.

This game could be really great but needs A LOT of polishing, danbridge, and if you are going to keep "winging like a little girl" over our constructive criticism, then apparently you suck balls and shouldn't be making Banjo-Threeie in the first place.

Old 17th June 2011, 04:22 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJinjo View Post
but needs A LOT of polishing, danbridge, and if you are going to keep "winging like a little girl" over our constructive criticism, then apparently you suck balls and shouldn't be making Banjo-Threeie in the first place.
I told one kid to shut up because he was dissing it over and over again. If he hates it so much why keep playing and posting more crap?
whatever man I don't have the time to make an engine from scratch so i used the standard buggy tgf one. next time I'll make a home made engine and make a 1 level demo so normal people can test it instead of this disabled person I have at the minute.

least I had a go at making a fan game

Old 17th June 2011, 05:22 PM
Glowbo

Haven't tried the game yet, but setting all the "when Banjo hits Object A" to "bounce" (if they were all on "stop") might help a lot. Also make sure none of the solid objects overlap each other or have any tiny pixels of open space too; that causes a lot of problems for some reason.

Looks really good though! Can't wait to try it out.

Last edited by XeRo9009; 17th June 2011 at 05:24 PM.

Old 17th June 2011, 05:32 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeRo9009 View Post
Haven't tried the game yet, but setting all the "when Banjo hits Object A" to "bounce" (if they were all on "stop") might help a lot. Also make sure none of the solid objects overlap each other or have any tiny pixels of open space too; that causes a lot of problems for some reason.

Looks really good though! Can't wait to try it out.
I never use bounce, always stop. But in future I'm getting rid of the default platform engine its shite. Eg in the air you cant move to the side if you've already colided with a wall. I'll make a beast home made engine next time

EDIT ok if anyone finds a bug just list it and I'll write it down for next time cheers
so far: https://sites.google.com/site/banjot...ters/knownbugs

Old 17th June 2011, 08:24 PM
Bunnycomb

Viva PiƱata Mastery INFECTED - B1K1 
I love the art, how you've managed to grab textures from the original games - especially with the images of the character models. The gameplay, not so much.

It's not even the fact that it's buggy or that it's hard to control, there's just a lot of design decisions which could have been made better. I remember one that stood out to me - at the start of the game there's a Jamjars silo which tells you to press UP to go through doors or talk to people. But by that point you've already gone through several doors and pressed 'up' to initiate the conversation with Jamjars himself!

Platforms in levels are organised really awkwardly, to the point where it's easy to get stuck or just too hard to navigate properly. And not in a good, challenging sort of platformer way.

The controls need fixing, sure, but I was willing to let that slide since I predicted it would have been a shoddy engine to work with. But that's all part of prototyping games - figuring out what tools you need for the job before you get to work.

Last edited by Kowz; 17th June 2011 at 08:37 PM.

Old 17th June 2011, 08:34 PM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 4
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 6 Participation Award 
Just out of curiosity, where did you get the all of the models used in your game?

Edit: Just encountered a glitch in the ticker level. When I hit one of the spinning blades in the room with the jiggy at the bottom, it sent me to the ticker boss fight and froze up. That may very well have been a one-time occurrence, but I still thought it was worth mentioning.

Edit 2: Managed to complete chapter 1. The levels after creepy colony were far easier by comparison. The mechanics could definitely use some fine-tuning, but you seem to be heading in a fun direction with this.

If I may add some suggestions:
- where possible, it would be nice to have some leeway with the jiggy and note requirements. So instead of having to collect every jiggy to enter the next level, you could miss one and still be fine. Naturally, it would make it harder to progress later if you miss too many.
- the shock jump pad could use a little more distance on jumps or the platforms that need to be reached could be slightly more accessible. It took me forever to reach one of the jiggies on the first level.
- for Creepy Colony: I don't know if it is possible without completely disrupting the existing mechanics, but it would be nice if there was an easier method of exiting the level. I couldn't get from the conveyer belt back on to the platform and ended up exiting only when I died from hitting the spike ball there.

Besides some other obvious bugs, I really enjoyed the style of the whole thing. A lot of the pieces of Grunty's Lair translated surprisingly well to a 2D plane. I think you could do some really interesting things with this if you can clean it up a bit.
The aliens from Independence Day let us know. You know what we did? We stood right on the target, cheered them on, and tried to be friends. What happened to us in Independence Day ConkerKing? WHAT HAPPENED? -Tanjo

Last edited by kingpaco; 17th June 2011 at 10:19 PM.

User Tag List