Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 19th April 2015, 02:56 AM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
There a way for you to send me this on Project Spark?

Old 19th April 2015, 03:32 AM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 4
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 6 Participation Award 
I looked into it Andre and it looks like eventually you'll be able to share assemblies, but it isn't up yet. :/

The only other way I can think of is for me to post this publicly and then you could remix it, but unless I can find a way for only you to see it, I don't think I want to post an unfinished product for the world to see.

However, if you've messed with Project Spark some, perhaps you know of some ideas that might help me complete duo. Right now I'm trying to mess with with the positioning tiles to make certain pieces of Banjo (e.g. his right leg, left leg, etc.) move whenever a certain button is pressed. If I can learn to make Banjo's torso and head move forward when I press shift, that should make crouching possible. along with a host of other things. The problem is that the positioning tiles never seem to work the way I intend for them to, which probably means I'm just not using them correctly.

If you've got any ideas on how make any moves work, let me know and I'll see if I can rig it to work.

Edit: I'm happy to say after working with a crap load of kode in the game, I have successfully managed to get Banjo to crouch. It isn't perfect by any means, but it will do... clearly Banjo isn't too thrilled as you can see below.
https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...9c&oe=55A7DFFA
https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...67&oe=559CAE4A
The aliens from Independence Day let us know. You know what we did? We stood right on the target, cheered them on, and tried to be friends. What happened to us in Independence Day ConkerKing? WHAT HAPPENED? -Tanjo

Last edited by kingpaco; 19th April 2015 at 06:42 AM. Reason: New info

Old 22nd April 2015, 10:21 PM
Brash Breegull

INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 6 Participation Award 
It has been a couple days, so here's an update on the progress:

- I basically got crouching to work, but the problem I'm running into is that Banjo's body parts tend to off-center themselves whenever I'm pressing a directional button while attempting to crouch. The result is that Banjo's body ends up looking like a mangled mess. Crouching without moving works fine though. I'm thinking it has something to do with the fact that I'm trying to use vectors (X,Y,Z coordinates) at the same time that Banjo and his host character are moving. This will take some time to get the mechanic to work right consistently.

- Similarly, it didn't take long to get the talon trot to work, but again, using vectors tends to offset Banjo every time I try to switch between Banjo and Kazooie while moving. There has got to be a more solid way to position things without this glitchiness happening. Also, I've tried forcing them to stop right before switching, but still holding the directional buttons is causing a problem. I've got an idea of how to solve that, but it requires more testing.

- I've been researching swimming mechanics and have successfully got Banjo to dive in very rudimentary fashion. It doesn't look fancy, but it doesn't need to yet so long as it works. Still trying to fine-tune this one.

- Last but not least, I'm using youtube tutorials to attempt to make red and gold feathers as well as the standard blue eggs collectables. I messed up the first time I tried, but I'm going to go through it again and see if it works this time. I've already got ideas on how to make the egg shooting and flying mechanics work as well as the shock spring pad (luckily there is a gravity jump pad already in the game), so those are on the to-do list.

No pictures this time, but I'll try to get more up as soon as I can make some of these work fully.
The aliens from Independence Day let us know. You know what we did? We stood right on the target, cheered them on, and tried to be friends. What happened to us in Independence Day ConkerKing? WHAT HAPPENED? -Tanjo

Old 23rd April 2015, 02:58 AM
Dingpot

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Sounds pretty awesome, I've been working on Grunties lair for the acouple hours for a Banjo kazooie (Conker Edition) but i think it could also help your project aswell

http://i.imgur.com/PlARXI5.png

http://i.imgur.com/0vfe6Ae.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rb2GKpn.jpg

I still need to repaint a lot of the terrain and walls once the Conker Pack comes out tomorrow but overall i like how it looks, i still need to get the waterfall and pool of water in on floor 3 but if you want to remix it you can

Old 24th April 2015, 06:40 AM
Brash Breegull

Neato! That project of yours is coming along nicely. Keep it up.

I'm definitely up for remixing it to add Banjo in when the time is right. Until then, I look forward to seeing how Grunty's Lair develops.

Small update: I just got Banjo to do a backflip for what will become the flap flip, but I still need to mess with it to get it looking right. Still, progress is progress.

Old 25th April 2015, 03:11 AM
Brash Breegull

I hate to double-post so quickly, but for those that wanted to check out my Banjo-Kazooie model in Project Spark, I gave in and uploaded it under a world called "Banjo Kazooie Project Help Wanted". My account name is Abyss Warrior90, so that might help to find it.

I'm hoping this attracts the attention of those who know how to do this stuff better than myself. With the suggestions of those in the community, hopefully this will speed up the process of making this less clunky and start to become the Banjo that I always wanted it to be.

Old 15th May 2015, 06:45 AM
Brash Breegull

Hello again everybody. For the few who are interested, I've got some updates on how this project is going:

-Since I couldn't successfully get Banjo to crouch without all the pieces going crazy, I have resorted to an alternative method to make it work. I simply created a crouching model of Banjo so that when the crouch button is pressed, the standing model with become invisible and not collidable and the crouching model will for all intents and purposes act the same as the regular Banjo model. I'm planning to attach egg firing to the crouching model as well as a crude beak barge (pretty much just moving the crouching model forward a few steps and having kazooie come out to do damage).

- I've started implementing a health bar similar to the one used in the original Banjo games. It's a work in progress, but I think I can get the health honeycombs to light up and go dark depending on whether or not that part of the health bar is full with some fancy kode.

- I was looking at a Project Spark version of Treasure Trove Cove and was inspired by the way that the creator made a flying mechanic. I'll definitely credit them in the notes when I get a chance to go back and look at how he did it since they have pretty much already done most of what I was going for on this one.

- One of the biggest challenges as of late has been trying to assemble Banjo's arms and legs so that they look relatively okay in game. It's been tricky, but his arms and legs will hopefully stop floating in mid air like Rayman's hands and feet soon.

- I've also more or less successfully gotten a shock spring pad to work. I'm just trying to tweek it now so that there is a second of charge up and that kazooie is the one that launches them into the air instead of Banjo as it is now.

- One of the other major developments recently is that I've started to map X Box One controls to Banjo as well and so far his movements feel surprisingly smooth all things considered. I'll be very excited to take him into custom worlds when I've managed to get everything in working order.

- Another rather difficult thing I've tried dabbling with is getting Banjo to slide down certain hills like in the original games. Without this, the talon trot is pretty much just a faster walk, so I'd very much like to implement this at some point and have two major ideas; 1) I could work some sort of mathematical magic with the help of a couple youtube refresher courses and hopefully make it so that Banjo can't climb hills of a certain steepness or 2) I can create special terrain paint sets that cause Banjo to fall whenever he touches it. I've already partially gotten the second one to work, but it is by no means convenient in the slightest.

- I've dabbled a bit with the rat a tat rap, wonder wing, flap flip and beak buster but so far haven't gotten things to work out like I want them to. There are still some ideas floating around in my head, but it'll be a while before I can get to the more complicated moves like these.

- Lastly, Peroxwhy?gen; I've gone into your custom Grunty's Lair and I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far! I've also imported Banjo into that stage and have messed around with it a bit. I'll probably officially remix your stage when I feel like Banjo is ready to showcase a wider move set.

User Tag List