Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 7th October 2019, 10:49 AM
Alakazam Alakazam is offline 3 Highscores
Explosion Infernale

Total Awards: 15
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter RWP Note Medal Awesome Default Medal Mystery Three 
people are turned off by our present-day vibe, and i'm sure that some still hold animosity towards us for things that happened 5+ years ago. the remaining members have become more of an inside group of friends, so it's hard for outsiders to assimilate back into our site culture

I'm always happy to see old faces, but plenty of users have already come back and immediately left again, so the Outlook is Not Good

(i haven't played banjo in ulti yet, but he seems pretty fun, looking forward to getting the chance whenever my brother catches up with DLC on his copy)

forget about the hit or miss, our naivety was bliss

Old 7th October 2019, 11:58 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! Imagination Reminiscence Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
Banjo flows really well and feels more like a natural fighter rather than the cheapness of a DLC fighter

Old 12th October 2019, 12:23 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 17
You're Appreciated! Mystery Four Mystery One Thread Starter Imagination 
I still visit from time to time. I'm sure that if a true, honest to goodness Banjo game came out, the forum would be more populated... but sadly in the past 8 or so years, traditional forums like ours have just fallen out of style. Reddit and Twitter and other more instant means of communication are what the norm is now.

Buterflies are insex. ~TwilightVestige

Old 12th October 2019, 03:48 AM
#1 Tech Boy Siege

You're Appreciated! RWP Podcast Rarity Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
Good on-topic post. See you next month!

Old 12th October 2019, 04:15 AM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
Gonna be real with you: I don't see the point of staying super on-topic since there's only like five of us here.

I agree, it's a pity that Reddit, Tumblr, et al stole fan forums' thunder. I'm a much bigger fan of this type of discussion board. It's harder to make friends on a website with literally millions of users. Maybe y'all should expand the forums to what they were like in the glory days, though. Individual boards for Nintendo, PlayStation, Xbox, etc. Give people more stuff to talk about.

But yeah, er, Banjo... I'm expecting an N. Sane Trilogy-style remake sometime in the near future. Steve Mayles and some other OG Rare brass have already brought up the possibility. And some semi-reliable leakers (according to SmashBoards) like Indie Gamer Chick swear that an N64 Classic with Rare games is coming. Fingers crossed, eh?

Old 12th October 2019, 03:00 PM
Explosion Infernale

You're Appreciated! Thread Starter RWP Note Medal Awesome Default Medal Mystery Three 
the boards are condensed because it looks terrible when nobody has posted in a subforum for months, as was the case with a few of the old ones. it was mostly my decision and i stand by it - however, i've always been open to the idea of an extra subforum that has temporary, rotating subjects (e.g. this month it's a Pokemon board, next month it's a Microsoft board) to keep some fresh discussion going

forums aren't cool anymore man, and ice kinda doomed us anyway in 2011 by turning the site into a catch-all rather than a rareware site. there's only so much we can do, and we've tried a lot in the last few years - in the end, the core base of about 20-30 active users are loyal and happy, and that's my #1 priority as admin these days

ASFARASBANJOGOES, i've always been curious how N&B had turned out if it'd been a remake of BK1 like they initially planned. considering that rare might not have the creative talent for a true banjo-threeie anymore, i'd be absolutely fine with a remake if done right. completely original 3D platformers are hard to nail with the scope of today's games, and i've always wished that a bigger company would take a page from Macbat 64's playbook and make a simpler, detailed game in the style of older 3D plats. a similar concept worked for Mega Man 9 a decade ago - why can't it work now?

Old 13th October 2019, 03:35 AM

I actually do think today's Rare could make a good Banjo-Threeie. The question is whether or not Microsoft will let them. Most of the games they've released since the buyout are pretty decent, they're just not the kinds of games the RWP crowd is interested in playing.

Given the success of the Crash and Spyro remasters, plus the massive shockwave of goodwill that Banjo and Kazooie's induction into Smash Bros. caused, I have a feeling we'll see either a remake of a sequel in the near future. Rare are infamous for playing things pretty close to the chest, and I don't think Steve Mayles et al. would be floating the idea if it weren't a real possibility.

What do you want to see in Banjo-Threeie, by the way? I'd love to see the space world everyone was clamoring for since Tooie came out, a Chinese or Japanese world, and a world that's the magic school where Gruntilda studied. A parody of Hogwarts (Hagfarts? Are we too classy for that?).

Old 14th October 2019, 07:53 PM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazam View Post
the boards are condensed because it looks terrible when nobody has posted in a subforum for months
Agreed.

Quote:
ASFARASBANJOGOES
ACODETORESTOREHISROUNDNOSE

Quote:
i've always been curious how N&B had turned out if it'd been a remake of BK1 like they initially planned.
It wouldn't have aged well. The point of remake like that is to update the graphics, which if a B-K remake was made back in 2088 it would look outdated by this point. Nowadays I think it would be fine, as technology has basically reached the point where human eyes pretty much cannot discern the graphical improvements we keep making each console generation, so there's little concern of any game looking outdated later.

Quote:
considering that rare might not have the creative talent for a true banjo-threeie anymore, i'd be absolutely fine with a remake if done right
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
I actually do think today's Rare could make a good Banjo-Threeie. The question is whether or not Microsoft will let them.
I think modern Rare is fine. They've just fallen into wanderlust as of late. I always say this, but as long as Rare still has Gregg Mayles, who pretty much is the one responsible for making Banjo-Kazooie what it is, at the helm, then I'm not really worried about a new Banjo game turning out good.

There's a question there however, about whether capturing the same magic of the old titles is even possible. Or whether Playtonic or some other company would do a better job of it.

Quote:
What do you want to see in Banjo-Threeie, by the way? I'd love to see the space world everyone was clamoring for since Tooie came out, a Chinese or Japanese world, and a world that's the magic school where Gruntilda studied. A parody of Hogwarts (Hagfarts? Are we too classy for that?).
Expect a reworked Weird West world that was cut from NaB. It'll be great, too. That kind of world style fits really well with the oddball goofiness and vague 'southern' vibe Banjo has.

Old 14th October 2019, 08:01 PM
Explosion Infernale

cough cough GEARS FOR BREAKFAST

Old 14th October 2019, 09:55 PM
#1 Tech Boy Siege

You're Appreciated! RWP Podcast Rarity Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyo76 View Post
It wouldn't have aged well. The point of remake like that is to update the graphics, which if a B-K remake was made back in 2088 it would look outdated by this point
I dunno, the Conker remake still looks pretty damn good.

Old 14th October 2019, 10:06 PM
Explosion Infernale

nuts & bolts still looks good too, but it has some serious framerate issues at times

really wish the rare replay version could have fixed that, even if it came at the cost of losing crossplat

Old 15th October 2019, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Expect a reworked Weird West world that was cut from NaB. It'll be great, too. That kind of world style fits really well with the oddball goofiness and vague 'southern' vibe Banjo has.
Glitter Gulch Mine already scratched my cowboy itch. I keep trying to think of classic video game settings that haven't been Banjofied yet. Would an airship world work? How about a mossy cave?

Old 15th October 2019, 12:58 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 17
You're Appreciated! Mystery Four Mystery One Thread Starter Imagination 
I think NAB aged well, with regards to graphics. Most of Rare's games on the 360 look pretty good still, imo.

It is only the games that try to look realistic (like PDZ) that show their age poorly, because the comparison to modern games makes them look so much lower.

Buterflies are insex. ~TwilightVestige

Old 15th October 2019, 08:04 PM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
Points made, Conker looks alright. Nuts and Bolts looks perfectly fine. Maybe the it's the janky physics that make the game look visually weird to me. Viva Piņata is gorgeous and a modern HD installment to that genre would be a dream come true.

If they do go for a remake next, I hope they do it with slight unexpected changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
Glitter Gulch Mine already scratched my cowboy itch. I keep trying to think of classic video game settings that haven't been Banjofied yet.
I dunno. That's a pretty big itch to scratch. :o Especially when you get a feel for what that world would've actually looked like.

I just want it okay

It's another standard game environment Banjo hasn't been to yet, sans Witchyworld. There aren't a lot of those left. Banjo-Threeie's gonna have to get creative if they don't wanna reuse level themes. (Which wouldn't even be that bad of a thing to do, anyway, imo.) There's plenty of room for a proper space world, finally, and the potential's unlimited, but they might not go for it just because they've done Terrarium of Terror already.

Quote:
Would an airship world work? How about a mossy cave?
Those are good. A big air blimp could make a good second sky world.

I think a big city level...
Spoiler: (highlight to view)
Grand Theft Jinjo!
...is a safe bet. What I've always wanted really bad is a honey/bee based world. We have a bear as a main character, it'd fit really nice. Plus I love honeycomb patterns. They're exquisite.

Old 16th October 2019, 02:45 AM

Now that I think on it, the Banjo series does reuse level settings pretty regularly. There's jungle (Mumbo's Mountain, Mayahem Temple), pirate (Treasure Trove Cove, Jolly Roger's Lagoon), ice/snow (Freezeezy Peak, ice side of Hailfire Peaks, ice side of Freezing Furnace), port (Rusty Bucket Bay, Spiller's Harbor), factory (Grunty Industries, fire side of Freezing Furnace), and farm (Cliff Farm, Nutty Acres). I'm probably forgetting at least one more, especially if you count tracks from Banjo-Pilot.

Quote:
What I've always wanted really bad is a honey/bee based world. We have a bear as a main character, it'd fit really nice. Plus I love honeycomb patterns. They're exquisite.
So basically Hornet Hole? Yeah, I can dig that. The problem is that Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is an entire bee-themed game, so the honey/bee world would probably feel derivative.

To elaborate on my previous ideas... I'd like a space-themed world that's basically Future Fun Land from Diddy Kong Racing in Banjo world form. Something like Spaceport Alpha. Maybe it could be the first world, to get as far as possible from the standard-issue green hilly world. It could have something like a moon rover transformation to let you get into places without oxygen.

Hagfarts could be the Gothic castle world that was cut from Tooie, with the added fun twist that it was Grunty's alma mater. It could be divided into the castle itself, the surrounding spooky woods, and the lake. Grublins in Potter cosplay could be fun enemies here. It'd be fun to find stuff like Grunty's yearbook, where she was voted "Most likely to be beat up by a bear and bird."

The Chinese or Japanese world would be our requisite green hilly world. (It's too bad Wario Land already took the name "Bamboozle Village," because that'd be perfect). Think Mayahem Temple with an Asian twist.

User Tag List