Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 7th January 2011, 01:39 AM
Mr. Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Worm View Post
I think Foggy Fumes was one of the best levels.
Dat jazz.

"Nothin' gets the ladies wet like a foggy DKCR factory level."

Old 7th January 2011, 05:51 AM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
Bart, this is Captain Nostalgia speaking here, so listen up: the level designs here are exactly as good as those in the original trilogy; in fact, many of them are better, and a few of them are much better. And, I dunno if you've ever actually won any of the (fairly well-hidden; I dunno what you're talking about) bonus stages, but you get a jiggy for beating them. You're not playing them for nothing like you did in the first DKC. Diddy's Kong Quest is still my favorite, but Returns is my second-favorite. Keep giving this game a chance and you'll learn to love it.
Sorry, I wrote what I did while I was sick...which I am again. Forgot there were the Jiggy thingies at the end of each bonus level...although, that may have been helped by the fact I have no idea what collecting all the Jiggies in a level does...I didn't really notice anything different happening once I collected them all or at the end of a level...maybe those gallery images? I recall something small popping up about that...and I don't think I got them every level...

Still don't feel like most of the bonus levels are hidden well at all. Maybe I'm just too used to finding hidden stuff...I know I had a heck of a lot harder time finding them in...for example, DKC2. Maybe that's because I was younger, though - perhaps the same reason I don't think this game is as much fun as it should be.

I should really play it when I'm not sick,

Old 7th January 2011, 06:12 PM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartimaeus View Post
although, that may have been helped by the fact I have no idea what collecting all the Jiggies in a level does...
Collecting all the jiggies in one stage nets you some concept art. Collecting all the jiggies in the game nets you the Golden Temple. But you can't actually go in there if you don't collect all eight magic orbs, which are hidden in the secret hard-as-shit stages you get when you collect all the Kong Tiles per world.

Old 7th January 2011, 10:42 PM
Von Kriplespac

You're Appreciated! 
^ Wrong, getting all the Kong Letters unlocks Temple Levels where you must find the Rare Orbs. You use those to get into the Golden Temple. The Jiggies only unlocks concept art.

Old 8th January 2011, 06:42 PM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
Aw, really? So, you get the Golden Temple right after beating the final boss?

Old 10th January 2011, 04:36 AM
Honorary Most Underappreciated Member '10 - '11

Total Awards: 3
INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
Aw, really? So, you get the Golden Temple right after beating the final boss?
You sure do. I beat the game and the golden temple appeared, and I still hadn't gotten all the puzzle pieces.

I still haven't gotten all the puzzle pieces, actually.

Old 11th January 2011, 09:48 PM
Dingpot

Why are there jiggies if it isn't Banjo? And how badly do I want this game? I've been holding out.

Old 12th January 2011, 12:59 AM

I've unlocked and beaten every K level except 6-K.

I HATE IT. GRRRRR.

Old 12th January 2011, 01:53 PM
Von Kriplespac

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahooney View Post
Why are there jiggies if it isn't Banjo? And how badly do I want this game? I've been holding out.
Cause Jigsaws weren't invented for BK XD

Old 12th January 2011, 07:55 PM
Dingpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by J@mie View Post
Cause Jigsaws weren't invented for BK XD
Well. The term "jiggies" that are collectibles were kind of coined by B-K. I guess. I mean, if they're golden too, it's a TOTAL throwback.

Old 12th January 2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahooney View Post
Well. The term "jiggies" that are collectibles were kind of coined by B-K. I guess. I mean, if they're golden too, it's a TOTAL throwback.
They aren't called jiggies in the game, nor are they golden.

That pretty much crushes your whole idea right there.

Old 19th January 2011, 03:42 AM
Rare player from Venezuela

INFECTED - B2K1 
Hey guys I wrote a little review for this game, you can check it out here:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?sav...i/501643806599

I tagged some of you guys on it already.

Old 14th June 2018, 04:17 PM
a quiche

You're Appreciated! 
(I still don't know how to get @-ing to work so...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
https://youtu.be/OOc__o7QIUM?t=8m50s
(And I'm unearthing this ancient thread because it was the most recent discussion for the game that came up when I searched.)

Yes, thank you. I have been trying to figure out how to describe this aspect of Donkey Kong Country Returns that bothered me compared to the original trilogy, and it was succinct as describing it as feeling "too scripted". This is something I've had so many headbutts with people over where they usually deem me as being overly nostalgic and don't understand what I'm talking about. There's like this lack of the same kind of "fluidity" by which you can run through the levels. Things feel so stop-and-go (not the station, heheheh) at times where there's some kind of animation running or a short event happens or like you mentioned, the backgrounds have some kind of fallaway aspect to them. It reminds me a lot of Yoshi's Story so I'm not trying to say it's bad. It just really changes the flow of the game, like there's a heightened sense of "spectacle" injected here and there that takes you out of the sense of immersion of player control, and interrupting things with, "Okay, now do THIS THING!" or "Watch as THIS HAPPENS now!" The earlier games would sometimes have this kind of thing, but their analogues seem sparser, shorter, and better-blended. Like a moment of hesitation before the rollercoaster starts, or a bit of waiting to time barrel blasts. I just feel like you can soar through them if you wanted to, and to prove that point further, you could watch speedrunning videos to see that aspect of "flow" cranked to maximum.

And in conjunction with that, I think the visual style has a lot to do with my preference for the original set. I'm not nearly as into the art style in Returns, but part of that is the era it's from--it's not to say that it's not good or pretty in its own right, but I like the naturalistic, atmospheric, often misty, claylike 3D modeling, with its more-muted earthen, and even ethereal-sorta color pallettes. (Though I will give credit to Returns for a sense of "vastness" that some of the jungle backgrounds conveyed. I like the sense of "vast", "forlorn", or "desolate", which I get a lot from Donkey Kong Island and Crocodile Isle [not as much with the Northern Kremisphere, but there are other things unique to it which I like about that].) To be able to rush through these jungles or caverns makes me think of Disney's Tarzan and his tree-surfing, just winding through vines and branches with blinding dexterity. It makes you feel... like an actual monkey. But seriously, there's a captivating feel with its blend of atmosphere, speed, and movement that Returns goes a different direction with. I can't repeat this enough: it's not a critcism of a "flaw" so much as it's trying to highlight what I see as a stylistic/design difference that doesn't sway my personal preference as much.

Now, I also haven't played the entire game, so, disclaimer that this may not end up applying to things later on. And I haven't played Tropical Freeze at all, so I don't know if this was altered for the sequel.

(Also I've said this before but I like watching your let's plays a lot, I like the chemistry you and Frankie have--it feels insanely homely and comfortable in this really genuine, I-would-literally-hang-out-with-you way that I don't get from most other let's plays. Also no homo but Frankie has an incredibly lovable voice and I like his humor-attitude a bunch.)

Last edited by pastiche; 14th June 2018 at 04:25 PM.

Old 14th June 2018, 06:01 PM
Fired

You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
pastiche I dunno, it works fine for me.

Old 14th June 2018, 06:23 PM
a quiche

You're Appreciated! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyo76 View Post
pastiche I dunno, it works fine for me.