Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 25th November 2010, 11:51 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 
I don't know what stage you're talking about, but this may help.

Old 26th November 2010, 12:08 AM
Funniest Member ('13 - '14)

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
Interesting theory. I like it. That's probably how I'll picture DK's Island from now on in the game. Kremlins came. Kremlins got beat. Kremlins left. Kremlin's leftovers. I'm liking the bad guy designs so far. The Tikis will soon become classic DK villains I'm sure. Also, how's this for a title: Donkey Kong Country 2 Returns.

Old 26th November 2010, 12:33 AM
Brash Breegull

I love Cranky's references.

"See you later, alligator! Heh heh heh..."
"You have to get to the top of the island by yourself? Too bad we don't know anyone with a plane..."

Old 26th November 2010, 03:10 AM
Retired

Total Awards: 11
RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 Basic Forum Rules RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award 
Glad to hear that Retro did a good job with this game.

Old 26th November 2010, 03:46 AM

Judging by the first two worlds, they did more than a good job.

Old 26th November 2010, 04:38 AM
Showdown Town Tour Guide

INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Awesome Default Medal RWP Note Medal RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Okay. I'm up to Forest (World 5) currently. Been playing a couple hours each day with my brother, pretty much following the formula of beating a world straight through, then going back and 100%ing the world before that one if we didn't the first time.

Complaints:

-Shaking to roll. I actually find it kind of decent for hand-slapping, and I don't really mind it for blowing (since there's never a situation where you need HOLY SHIT SPLIT SECOND TIMING for blowing on plants ). But for rolling it feels more problematic than intuitive.
-Harder to roll through a line of enemies unless Diddy is on DK's back. You usually end up stopping in the middle of it and getting hurt.
-Generic world names (Jungle, Beach, Ruins, etc.). Again, not a huge point, but I prefer stuff like "Monkey Mines" to just "Cave."
-Map screen is slightly lame. Would prefer if without the big red/blue dots and with DK and Diddy actually walking around on it.
-No Kremlings/other returning enemies. Of course, I was already prepared for that, though, so this isn't HUGE either.
-Related to the above, no Kong helpers besides Cranky, and no (rideable) Animal Buddies besides Rambi.
-You BURN through lives on co-op. I can understand why you lose two lives when both characters die at the same time, but man.
-Barrel-throwing has a smaller focus. Shame, since it was a big mechanic in the originals, but eh.
-Too much DKC1 focus. I love that game, but I liked the stuff 2 and 3 did with the gameplay/environments.
-R.I.P. the DK-shaped mountain on DK Island.

Accolades:

+Pretty much everything else.

...oh. Right. Specifics.

+Opening story cutscene rules.
+The details. Good lord the details. There is so much going on in any given environment, and it usually affects the gameplay in some way. There has been so much that has made me and my brother go "oh wow, that is so cool" while playing. So awesome. I could literally fill a post with more examples, but just a few:
**One of the smallest things I was impressed by was when my brother pointed out that when the Frogoon enemy jumps, it's actually trying to eat a fly buzzing around over its head.
**The zebra, giraffe, and elephant that were stranded on a raft in one of the beach levels. The elephant was even drinking some from the water!
**The fact that most of the Bonus Barrels blast you into some space in the background, usually through a wall. My favorite example so far still being (as mentioned from the September videos), the wrecked ship that, once you finish the bonus room, it falls apart and sinks into the sea.
**The Chicken-Stilts guy in one of the ruins levels, during the beginning pan-in he gets nearly ran-over by the camera. Awesome and fourth-wall-breaky.
**Handslapping DK's TV and making the DKCR logo appear.
+Co-op is a ton of fun. It can get pretty hectic, but unlike NSMBW you can't be a complete dick, and I think it's better for it.
+Cranky is still awesome. "Come back with Banana Coins, or don't come back at all!" "So, who hasn't stolen your bananas by now?" "Tell those Tiki guys to keep it down. I'm an old ape, I need my sleep!"
+Secrets seem pretty well hidden. While some are obvious (and a few seem like complete guesswork), it's mostly "pay attention to your environment." For most of the stuff hidden just off-scren, they seem to follow Rare's idea of using a single banana as an indicator.
+I like that Squawks only gives you a general idea of where a secret is located, the rest is up to you to figure out.
+I like the music, but it's a point I think the originals still win out on. Still, the remixes are good, as is most of the new stuff so far.
+This mostly follows DKC3's "gimmick almost every level", but in this case it feels a bit more natural. Stormy Sea (giant squid) and Tidal Terror (crashing wave) were amazing, as was Crowded Cave (giant bat) in level 4.
+Seems to be getting more difficult further in. Always a nice thing.
+The secret "K" levels in each world are ****ing RIDICULOUS and I love them. Especially World 2's.
+The little boss introduction cutscenes are nice. I love how the bosses are pretty chill dudes when not under Tiki-hypnosis.
+The Slot Machine Barrel is probably my favorite end-level object in the series so far. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the zoom-in.
+I actually like the shaking for the Tiki beat-up sequences and when you get the "DK" icon on the Slot Machine Barrel. I find it gratifying.
+The Hand-Slap was so underutilized in DKC1, I honestly forget it's there most of the time. In this game it's pretty much required, and I love it.
+The originals toyed around with rolling into a pit and then jumping to get an item/get across the pit, but the roll-jump is used much more often here. You even get a huge momentum burst when you do it in this game. Love it.
+Rambi is incredible in this game. I've only seen him in two levels so far, but both were wicked fun with him.

I may have forgot to mention some things, both good and bad, but eh. Honestly, this game is shaping up to be one of my favorites. It has flaws, but I love it. Really hope Retro decides to continue with DK, as they are more than capable of handling it.

tl;dr: shit rules.

holy shit i can be wordy when i'm talking about video games.

Last edited by Bottles98; 26th November 2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: added more

Old 26th November 2010, 04:42 AM
Von Kriplespac

You're Appreciated! 
Retro scewed up Time Trial mode. When you die, you go back to the start while the timer keeps on going. WTF Retro? Not only that, there's checkpoints too, which are completely useless anyways. Basically, you have to pause and select "Restart" every single time you die or mess up. It gets very tedious, very fast.

I won't take any points off my review since it's completely optional, but still...I feel horrible for the people who want to do it.

Last edited by TRBB; 26th November 2010 at 04:46 AM.

Old 26th November 2010, 04:50 AM

@Bottles98: Am I doing something wrong when I beat a boss and punch a Tiki? DK just punches it and it says "1 Hit" afterwards, even though I shake the remote, which I'm not even sure I'm supposed to do.

Old 26th November 2010, 04:53 AM
Showdown Town Tour Guide

INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Awesome Default Medal RWP Note Medal RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Oh, I did that the first time too. You're shaking too early. If you wait until your current character is is close to the Tiki, a prompt appears telling you to shake, and you can get in successive hits.

Old 26th November 2010, 04:54 AM
Von Kriplespac

You're Appreciated! 
^ You have to wait until the Wiimote shaking symbol appears in the bottom right-hand corner.

Last edited by TRBB; 26th November 2010 at 01:53 PM.

Old 26th November 2010, 05:08 AM

Oh, okay. Thanks. Also, welcome back Bottles.

Old 26th November 2010, 07:35 PM
Most Missed Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 8
SteamLink Verified Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Viva Piñata TiP Mastery 
ITT a Bottles post that sounds nothing like Bottles.

I agree on all points, though I'm not sure I'd put the music in the accolades section. Also, as an additional complaint, blowing is useless. It feels like Retro just wanted to extend the move-kit somehow, but couldn't find any meaningful way to do it in the game. Instead, they just threw down a completely arbitrary command that could have been taken out altogether or replaced by the hand slap.

Old 26th November 2010, 07:53 PM
Showdown Town Tour Guide

What, how does it not sound like me

I like the music, but eh. I'd say it needs less remixes and more of the music needs to feel like Tidal Terror.

Also yeah blowing is actually pretty dumb. In fact, it seems to fly in the face of "faster-paced" gameplay, which I could have sworn was the stated reason for the removal of water levels.

Old 26th November 2010, 07:55 PM
Most Missed Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 8
SteamLink Verified Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Viva Piñata TiP Mastery 
Yeah, agreed.

Also, I was not as big on Rambi's segments. I mean, I enjoyed the segments themselves; however, I liked how in the original games he was just there. You could conceivably play through entire stages without noticing he was even hidden away in them. If you did find him though, the stage tended to be easier and you could access additional secrets that you could not before. In this game, you basically NEED Rambi. Instead of it being a stage with Rambi in it, it is a Rambi-focused stage. Seems like a cheap way of making each stage its own gimmick like mentioned before.

Also, Also, wth is with the missile riding stages.

Old 26th November 2010, 08:06 PM
Showdown Town Tour Guide

Yeah, I can see your point with Rambi. Didn't even consider that in my post though, I was talking purely about his abilities and the fact that he is a badass which I stand by. Though I guess that factors in. Though actually, the Rambi Crate in...1-3, I think it was, felt more in line with the original games. He was a hidden bonus for the level but was required to enter the bonus stages.

Also if I hadn't just played the ****ing bat stage yesterday I would probably be like "oh what do you mean" in regards to the Rocketbarrel. I'm going to assume that those stages only get worse from there. I don't think the button-tap control works precisely enough for stages like the bat stage...should have been up and down on the d-pad/analog. I mean, if you even need to descend quickly you're kind of screwed.

Oh yeah, I also would have preferred if Cave had some regular levels in it, as opposed to existing purely for the minecart/rocketbarrel. Where's my Winky's Walkway action.

...despite having complaints though I still love the game.

User Tag List