Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 2nd November 2023, 05:44 AM
a quiche

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 

Old 23rd November 2023, 04:02 PM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 7
You're Appreciated! Imagination Game On Reminiscence Chatterbox 
I've been playing Half-Life (since the 25th anniversary update) as well as Portal 1 & 2.

Blep!!

Old 13th December 2023, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Total Awards: 8
You're Appreciated! Puzzle Six Awesome Default Medal RWP Donator RWP Podcast 
Bird Week (Family Computer): The guy who delivered my new fridge-freezer saw my N64 and went, "I like the old Nintendo. You got the NES and SNES too?" And I was like, "Yeah, I've got those... to play," because it was too much to start explaining the MiSTer.

It's Bird Week. It's Bird Week fifty-two weeks of the year. 7/10

Old 18th December 2023, 08:51 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
trespasser

Old 18th December 2023, 09:20 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

wait no i actually do have a stupid game i spent too much time playing and have too deep thoughts about. i cant talk about trespasser yet because i haven't beaten it so all i could think of was to say trespasser. however i recently played dead to rights on a busted xbox emulator that blew out the sound effects and made every character's lighting bug out and display them as inverse to the brightness level of the space they occupy. however the core of my thoughts on dead to rights revolve around the game's mechanical design, specifically on the xbox version and nowhere else.

the xbox version of dead to rights is one of the most torturous action games i've ever played. it is fundamentally busted. in its race to match max payne's brutal level of difficulty, they rushed out a nonsensical mess of mechanics that all fail to gel together with a shooting system that is as inexplicable as it is unreliable.

even before getting into the shooting the game has a godawful melee system it also frequently forces you to use. if dead to rights being a poor clone of max payne wasn't enough, it's also an example of how truly dire melee combat was in games of its era. it feels like the developers got the memo that beat em ups should have grabs, blocks and dodges, so they designed a combat system with grabs, blocks and dodges. however, they also gave enemy ai the same access to all of the same actions that jack slate has. this means every enemy in the entire game fights like a trained martial artist and is easily capable of countering and evading your attacks. you will fight generic dock worker #6 and he will kick your ass repeatedly because the only difference between melee enemies is how much hp they have.

there's no way for you, the player, to coherently counter any of an enemy's actions, on the other hand. you can perform dodges as long as you have meter, but your meter runs out quick and takes a long time to recharge, leading enemies to possess greater defensive capabilities than you do. since there are no specific guard breaker attacks and enemies can break out of grabs just the same as you can, as well as your grabs being significantly weaker than those of enemies, every melee combat sequence turns into a dice roll for your odds of being able to deal any damage without just abusing the exploits of the system. the exploits do exist and are very easy to perform, such as finding the exact spot where you can perform a triple kick combo on an enemy repeatedly without them putting their guard up, but a single error can lead to your health bar getting crunched down by a full 1/3 before you can even react. this is made worse by the fact that while the game possesses an armor system, melee attacks ignore armor, and health pickups are limited and rarely drop from enemies. melee combat in xbox dead to rights is, in no uncertain terms, a nonsensical cluster****.

but don't worry. the core of the game is the shooting. so luckily, the xbox version of dead to rights also has critically broken shooting and no sane way for the player to deal with the swarms of enemies it throws at you. max payne's enemies are laser accurate, their reflexes are near-instant, challenging the player to use bullet time to avoid as much damage as possible and dispatch enemies before they can fire off a single shot. max payne is able to accomplish this gameplay balance thanks to its bullet time mechanics reflecting how every bullet fired is a real, physical object, something you can avoid with careful enough movement. bullets in dead to rights do not work this way. not only is the only way to trigger bullet time in dead to rights by using the dive, as opposed to max payne's dedicated bullet time button that allows normal movement while active, but dead to rights' dive is far less reliable than max payne's. max is able to rotate 360 degrees mid dive and shoot enemies from all sides--jack slate can only shoot what's in front of him. this means if the enemies you need to shoot aren't immediately in front of you when you dive, you leave yourself completely open--and the dive itself is almost worthless, bullets in dead to rights aren't dodgeable unless they're something like a missile. the utility of bullet time only slightly reduces your damage, if you kill the enemies you need dead fast enough, making it largely worthless for its intended purpose.

that direction lock is an even bigger killer than it sounds though--max payne's level design always keeps a clear line of progression and all enemy presence is either clearly established via dialog and environmental clues, or in the later stages, deliberately playing on the instincts you will have developed across the game. you will never have an enemy in max payne just directly spawn next to you and blast you with a shotgun before you can even register where they came from. dead to rights cares not for dispensing its enemies in a logical pattern the player can get accustomed to. dead to rights simply spawns enemies wherever it wants and many of its levels consist of looping square arenas. since the game's aiming relies on an auto lock on system, and that system is very unreliable, the player will often be left almost entirely unable to react to the sudden new threats appearing behind them. the only reliable way to mitigate damage in dead to rights is to rely on using enemies as human shields, which means you will spend like, half of the game moving at a snail's pace for fear of losing your human shield and getting turned into swiss cheese.

don't worry though they made sure to one-up the game's terrible combat with generic enemies by having truly some of the worst boss fights i've ever experienced. roughly half of them choose to be one-on-one melee battles and none of those battles work even a little bit. mayor pinnacle is the obvious standout for how his entire fight relies on poorly conveyed mechanics present nowhere else in the game, mechanics that are very awkward to trigger, but i'd give mention to the final boss too, whose fight is simply complete nonsense because of how extra tuned up his ai is to make use of all the regular cheese enemies in dead to rights already regularly make use of in melee fights.

i have heard the later ports of dead to rights toned the game's difficulty down. i did not play the later ports of dead to rights. i played the original xbox version. if you ever have to play dead to rights, do not play the xbox version. do not ever bother with dead to rights for xbox. not that i'd find much to recommend about the game even if the combat in this version wasn't terrible, the story is entertainingly strange but it's also extremely misogynistic in some stunning ways, not only do none of the women in dead to rights survive to the end of the game but almost literally every woman in the game attempts to kill you at some point, forcing jack slate to blow them up. i also neglected to mention the several terrible minigames, some of which only happen a single time, some of which repeat like seven or eight times without ever evolving in any way. surreal game.

Old 22nd December 2023, 01:42 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

got stuck in trespasser so i played daxter instead. worst psp game i have ever played. if you are planning a jak series revisit with the fan pc ports coming out, do not include daxter in those plans. i'm going to try playing less garbage for a while

Old 1st January 2024, 08:30 PM
Trash Apprentice

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
I started up a Classic Wow playthrough for the first time (outside of the many times I got to level 10 on a free trial and quit as a kid) playing a human mage and just hit level 20 a few nights ago. The game's got a great feel to it that makes it easy to grind out all the different mobs, and by the time you start getting bored of an area you generally outlevel it and need to move on anyway. The amount of people wandering around the world, inviting people to groups, and hanging out is fun to see too.

I've also been getting back into FFXVI made it to the second expansion Heavensward, which I hear is pretty good.

Also got New World 'cause it was on sale and I hear it's better now. It's a silly game, I'm enjoying it so far.

Old 1st January 2024, 10:13 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

heavensward is ok but it's mostly the stuff after the main expansion that's really good. 3.0 is proto ff16 for better and for worse

Old 17th February 2024, 01:25 AM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
Am I bad at searching, or did we never have a thread for Smash Bros. Ultimate? I see our Smash 4 and even Brawl threads (oh, how Grey Jinjo and I measured internet dicks in those!), but nothing for Ultimate aside from one for the 8/8/18 Direct, a.k.a. the Simon and K. Rool reveal.

Anyway, now that the Sora amiibo is out, and with the final spirit event happening next week, the game has finally ended development.

What a ride, huh?

Old 18th February 2024, 10:12 AM
Trash Apprentice

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
ultimate is so good, I'm happy that Smash ended up with everybody's here and all that.

Got the Master Chief Collection and have been playing through Halo 1 on Heroic and it's really taught me a lot about the game. Use the energy pistol, make sure to create spacing with grenades, the sniper or magnum are flat out the best weapons in the game. Having a great time.

Also snagged Mass Effect Colllection and going through that as well. I'm playing number 1 and I'm a Shepard that is a military person first and foremost. It's gonna be interesting to see what comes in and out as the games progress.

Old 18th February 2024, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (PS4): Man's greatest enemy is, and always was, the electricity pylon. 9/10

Old 18th February 2024, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

The Getaway (PS2): "Tosser." 💣︎

Old Yesterday, 12:42 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

evergrace
クロヒョウ:龍が如く新章
絶体絶命都市2:凍てついた記億達
airrace championship

Old Yesterday, 12:42 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

also final fantasy 2 ( i played 13 earlier this month, decent game )

User Tag List