Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 20th August 2011, 08:33 PM
McLovin

Total Awards: 3
INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal Random Award 
1) Run the tool
2) In Combobox, choose game you want to rip Midis from
3) Click Load ROM, and then pick the ROM
4) After a little bit midis should show up in lower combobox
5) To rip all midis, click Export all to Midi, and pick a folder
6) To Import, change comobox to midi you want to change, then click Import Midi.
7) When done, click Write ROM.

Old 20th August 2011, 08:47 PM
Jolly Rodger

Total Awards: 1
Viva Piñata TiP Mastery 
Thanks, you've saved my life. I'll tell you if I'll have done.
EDIT: I'm going to swear! This ****** PC! The program crashes! May Bill Gates and Micro$oft die!
Thank you for your patience, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Laurence View Post
Error comes up when I try exporting BK MIDIs:-

TODO: <File description>

TODO: <File description> has stopped working

Windows is checking for a solution to the problem...

Transcribe it by ear.
This happens to me with Banjo-Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day and Killer Instinct.

Last edited by Walecs; 20th August 2011 at 09:04 PM.

Old 20th August 2011, 08:50 PM
Glowbo

Thanks for the awesome tool SubDrag I just have a quick question: I extracted Midis from Kirby64: The Crystal Shards earlier but when I play them, they sound distorted. Do you know how I can fix the Midis so they sound like they do in-game? Thanks again!

Old 20th August 2011, 09:32 PM
Jolly Rodger

Viva Piñata TiP Mastery 
Yes!!!!! It works! When the tool crashed, I left it for about 20 minutes, then I exported the midis and the program crashed for other 5 minutes. Now I have a folder with 119 midi files. With some time, I'll listen to them and write a list of names/codes.
Example: 00000008 03EDA230 - Pisstastic

However, they sound really strange... :/

Old 21st August 2011, 12:50 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walecs View Post
Yes!!!!! It works! When the tool crashed, I left it for about 20 minutes, then I exported the midis and the program crashed for other 5 minutes. Now I have a folder with 119 midi files. With some time, I'll listen to them and write a list of names/codes.
Example: 00000008 03EDA230 - Pisstastic

However, they sound really strange... :/
Yeah the midis I extracted sounded pretty strange too :/

Old 21st August 2011, 01:25 AM
McLovin

Well, they use the game's instruments, not Windows's. You'll have to use a tool to fix the midis by changing instruments to ones that sound right. Some games like Aerofighters do use windows instruments so they sound fine.

Old 21st August 2011, 07:10 AM
Jolly Rodger

Viva Piñata TiP Mastery 
I use Anvil Studio as musical/midi software, so I can try to fix them with that.
It was strange to hear the It's War music with a distortion guitar instead of a trumpet!

Old 6th September 2011, 08:05 AM
Glowbo

Using this together with n64 sound tool I've been starting to track .MOD files using the exact sequences and the exact samples from the games. Such awesome flippin tools!

I'm still trying like crazy to find the Goemon's Great Adventure sequences, since the only streamed music is the intro song, the rest all seems to be MIDI, the samplebank is pretty huge too. Anyway this is just a fantastic tool, I'm still going nuts over it.

Old 6th September 2011, 10:15 AM
Jolly Rodger

Viva Piñata TiP Mastery 
Any chance there'll be a midi tool for the Xbox 360 in a remote future? I'd love to have the midis from Live & Reloaded, Kameo, Dark Zero and Viva Pinata.

Old 6th September 2011, 11:48 PM
McLovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walecs View Post
Any chance there'll be a midi tool for the Xbox 360 in a remote future? I'd love to have the midis from Live & Reloaded, Kameo, Dark Zero and Viva Pinata.
I think it's pretty unlikely, at least from me.

Goemon uses "PIC" compression, so if we can reverse engineer it, there's a chance the midis are standard format and can put into program. But as of now it's not reversed.

Old 7th September 2011, 05:42 AM
Formerly itmightbenayib

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! Mystery Three Mystery Two Chatterbox RWP Podcast 
I used this to rip all the MIDI from Diddy Kong Racing. I found the character select music. SO ENTHUSED

Old 10th September 2011, 03:10 PM
Glowbo

This is a fantastic tool. I was wondering if it was possible to support Mario 64/OoT/MM, specifically? I ask because I'm sure those have been reversed engineered (at least Mario 64) by now, and they all seem to use standard MIDI like instruments. And maybe since those are all games by SRD, they might share similar sound engines? Just a thought I suppose. I'm sure you've thought about including them at some point. I remember OoT's being Yaz0 compressed, if that helps any.

But I do have one problem when using your program. The notes don't seem to be positioned correctly. Like for example:

Using the N64 supported version of vgmtrans on the first track for Chameleon Twist outputs the correct position.

Using N64 Midi Tool on the same track/game outputs a smaller file. Same notes and instrumentation but the positioning is off (everything starts sooner than it should).

(the cool thing about Chameleon Twist 1 is that all the songs use standard GM instrumentation. So it's 100% listenable upon extraction.

This is the case for every single game I tried. It may/may not have something to do with the fact that my roms are byteswapped (forgot which endian though), though I don't know.

Anyhow, this is a great program and I hope you continue working on supporting more games.

Old 10th September 2011, 04:27 PM
McLovin

I have seen partial midi information on OoT and Mario, but I'm not very familiar with the formats. I know the mario scene has a MusicXML importer, are you more interested in the exports I guess? I had no plans to support the format, if someone provided full information I'd be willing to give it a shot. Mario and Zelda are similar but not identical.
This is the info I found, many unknowns it seemed:
http://wiki.spinout182.com/index.php...usic_Sequences

Also, didn't know Chameleon used original instruments, so does AeroFighters which is pretty cool to export.

Ah, you're absolutely right! Small mistake during loops. I believe I've got it fixed, please regrab the n64 midi tool and let me know. It only affected things with loops, which probably is a lot though. Most likely just beginning/end affected. Let me know if this solves it. Regrab from same spot.

As a note, looking at VGMTrans, the reason it's so much bigger is they don't optimize the midi, they never use the ability to "repeat" which saves you a byte. It was just a mistake in not carrying forward delta timestamps from the loop ignored commands.

Last edited by SubDrag; 10th September 2011 at 04:48 PM.

Old 10th September 2011, 05:27 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubDrag View Post
I have seen partial midi information on OoT and Mario, but I'm not very familiar with the formats. I know the mario scene has a MusicXML importer, are you more interested in the exports I guess? I had no plans to support the format, if someone provided full information I'd be willing to give it a shot. Mario and Zelda are similar but not identical.
This is the info I found, many unknowns it seemed:
http://wiki.spinout182.com/index.php...usic_Sequences

Also, didn't know Chameleon used original instruments, so does AeroFighters which is pretty cool to export.

Ah, you're absolutely right! Small mistake during loops. I believe I've got it fixed, please regrab the n64 midi tool and let me know. It only affected things with loops, which probably is a lot though. Most likely just beginning/end affected. Let me know if this solves it. Regrab from same spot.

As a note, looking at VGMTrans, the reason it's so much bigger is they don't optimize the midi, they never use the ability to "repeat" which saves you a byte. It was just a mistake in not carrying forward delta timestamps from the loop ignored commands.
I extracted the Chameleon Twist MIDIs again and everything seems to be syncing up as they should now except for the drum channel. The notes after the first second are for some reason spaced out. The version before the one you uploaded today output the drum channel correctly, so this is somehow caused by the changes you made to the current one. Since the other problem had to do with looping, I figure that this is the same deal - as the song is supposed to loop back to where the drum notes are not aligned correctly.

Here's the same MIDI converted with the current version you uploaded.

Almost there.

I believe messiaen provided some documentation about the sound format in Mario 64 on his Google Site. He has software to extract the sequencing data (I think your N64 Sound Tool can do this though). I'm sure you've already seen his site already, heh:

http://sites.google.com/site/messiae...-specification

It's not completely documented, but I'm sure it just hasn't been updated in a while. I'm sure messiaen knows more details about the format.

Old 10th September 2011, 05:34 PM
McLovin

I must admit, they all sound the same to me hehe. I reuploaded it which makes a slightly different result, can you see if that sounds right?

Btw, are you more interested in exporting or importing Super Mario 64 midis? It looks like Messian is really close to doing both, seems to have import, and some parsing, maybe just didn't go to .mid?

Last edited by SubDrag; 10th September 2011 at 05:45 PM.

User Tag List