Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop

Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop SNS? Bottle's Revenge? Share your thoughts on the mysteries of the Banjo series and discuss the new Stop 'n' Swop features in Nuts and Bolts and the XBLA games

Old 5th August 2008, 04:23 AM
Glowbo

Outsiders Perspective

Before any newbie bashing goes on i would first like to say ive spent time around the forums (RWP and at spiral mountain) and fully understand the games as well as SNS. Ive went onto youtube and watched videos and done all of this becuase this was my favorite game and is probably the greatest memory i have of my childhood. So heres all i really have to say...

SNS is real, even if it doesnt work properly it exists and denying that is just stupid, its fact that is was developed and was intended to further expand the gameplay.

To all the SNS seekers/finders, i am extremely impressed by everything that has been found, its truely unbelievable, and I do believe SNS is out there but heres the dreadful reality:

As im sure all of you know Rare finished the SNS portion for BK, the hidden eggs and ice key, as well as providing codes that could be revealed at later times. Rare was over confident in their great idea and even teased us BK players about it in the final cut scene of the game.

Then the development of BT comes along, and they have 7 secret items to somehow incorperate into there game (3 promised to previous players) and others that can be revealed if necessary. Undergoing pressure, they had to meet all of these standards as well as time limit. And Nintendo bashing the swapping idea didnt help either. They were already "late in production" when they dropped the idea.

So what was Rare going to do? The technology at the time gave them no possible way to pull this off.

They had already developed certain things like " The Ridiculously secret area". And they had promised that the 3 items would be avialable to BT players. So they got desperate. They put in 3 BK cartiages in BT with the 3 promised items from BK somehow saying that they were from BK and now you can use them! But we're all convinced this was not the orignal plan...

We found codes for the other items and have descovered many traces of the development of SNS in BT. The truth is it wont work. We will never under the conditions we have literally make it work. Rare never finished what they had started in BT. Theres no swap zone, maybe in BK but you wouldnt know about unless it was told to you in BT. Theres a bridge but its to nothing. even if we managed to swap the eggs over they wont unlock anything, they wont do anything. Rare had no idea what the eggs were even gonna do they werent going to waste time and develop something that is only availble to vetran players, and even if they thought of stuff they couldnt be that cool or important because you wouldnt need them to beat the game. We can keep finding old traces of the development of SNS in BT but the fact is they never made it too work...

But the sad thing is Rare loves playing games and tricks, and they will always hide things in the game to point you in the right/wrong direction. The whole egg + egg + egg + egg / key thing was ridiculous and only meant to taunt us. The pirate was in BK becuase they knew they were going to use him in BT and they never got around to developing him but they wanted to leave him as a reminder of what could have been.

Rare hasnt fessed up yet because its great promotion for there games, and now it creates hype for the new games where they promise to finally reveal it! Of course there is the good and bad side to this, its annoying and created alot of arguements and fights but its brought us together. Good luck to all the hunters and hopefully we can find out what SNS was for before they finally tell us.

Old 5th August 2008, 04:28 AM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 1
RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Not to comment on your post, but I just wanted to say that if you had been watching our forum closely, you would of realized we don't "bash" newbies.

But I haven't read what you said, so let me read everything you wrote

Old 5th August 2008, 04:29 AM
Glowbo

Haha maybe not here but newbies get bashed in some places

Old 5th August 2008, 04:31 AM
Brash Breegull

Can you explain in latence terms what exactly you are trying to say with your post?

I am not the expert on SNS, so what exactly are you trying to say?

Old 5th August 2008, 04:33 AM
Glowbo

That its real no doubt but was never finished

EDIT: you read fast

Last edited by IceHockey; 5th August 2008 at 04:36 AM.

Old 5th August 2008, 04:35 AM
Brash Breegull

Oh, well I doubt you will be bashed about that

We know that it is real, so I doubt anyone will argue about that.

You should talk to our local expert on SNS "Silent Warior" Who just discoverd the Ice key in DK 64. He would be a good source for more info.

Old 5th August 2008, 04:37 AM
Glowbo

hahaa yea i watched his video it was really cool i hope he figures out what the ice key is for in DK. maybe the two games were meant to be related somehow

Old 5th August 2008, 02:00 PM
Most Intelligent Member ('08 - '09)

INFECTED - B1K1 
actually, newbies get bashed here all the time for SnS theories, that was the first thing that happened to me when i joined.

also, we already knew all of this.

Old 6th August 2008, 06:06 PM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 Basic Forum Rules 
Yeah we already new this, but I'm glad that a new member actually understands it!

Old 6th August 2008, 08:15 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Rarity RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
This is one of those posts that new members (recently me) should read before they start posting.

Old 7th August 2008, 03:19 AM
Brash Breegull

As a three year member, who's universally hated by everyone here, I'd liked to say: u har mad dis sinse!!!11!!!

Funny how we've haven't seen any SnS related in the pictures/videos yet, or have we. Btw, we are shown a pic of Banjo, in a vehicle, in Spiral Mountain. Will be able to go to Jinjo Village? We won't be going in to Grunty's Lair because if you zoom in on her mouth in the same picture boulders are blocking the entrance. Also it looks like, from the same pic, that you can go in to the water fall's cavern.

Old 7th August 2008, 06:59 PM
Brash Breegull

That's actually even a higher waterfall than the one you could reach in BT, but it looks like you can get to that one too. And we HAVE seen a few SNS references and in-jokes, if that's waht you meant.

Old 7th August 2008, 07:55 PM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
Most of your post looks pretty good. Of course, I'm Rune so I'll have to go through some things and point them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehockey
And Nintendo bashing the swapping idea didnt help either. They were already "late in production" when they dropped the idea.
It has never been confirmed that Rare was ever going to implement Stop N Swop as a hot-swap. I highly doubt that the N64's processor was even built for hot-swapping, and there is no evidence to suggest that Nintendo was the cause for Stop N Swop being cancelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey
They had already developed certain things like " The Ridiculously secret area".
They may have developed an area based on this text, but for all we know it could just be a placeholder text like silo 8, and 9.

Quote:
We found codes for the other items and have descovered many traces of the development of SNS in BT. The truth is it wont work. We will never under the conditions we have literally make it work. Rare never finished what they had started in BT. Theres no swap zone, maybe in BK but you wouldnt know about unless it was told to you in BT.
Never say never. I don't know if you've heard of my recent ice-key discovery in Dk64, but it appears that you may still be able to activate something there. About a swap zone, you could turn off the game any time after you collect the items in BK, and swap to BT. There is no such thing as a swap zone(based on evidence from hacking).

Quote:
Rare had no idea what the eggs were even gonna do they werent going to waste time and develop something that is only availble to vetran players, and even if they thought of stuff they couldnt be that cool or important because you wouldnt need them to beat the game. We can keep finding old traces of the development of SNS in BT but the fact is they never made it too work...
They never finished SNS because of changes to the N64's RAM chip. Newer n64's held data for less time in RAM after power down. The new amount of time was only somewhere around 3 seconds not giving people enough time to switch games, thus transferring items that way wouldn't work. It had nothing to do with them not being able to come up with ideas on what the secret items should unlock.

Last edited by runehero123; 7th August 2008 at 07:57 PM.

Old 8th August 2008, 05:19 AM
Brash Breegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by runehero123 View Post
Most of your post looks pretty good. Of course, I'm Rune so I'll have to go through some things and point them out.

It has never been confirmed that Rare was ever going to implement Stop N Swop as a hot-swap. I highly doubt that the N64's processor was even built for hot-swapping, and there is no evidence to suggest that Nintendo was the cause for Stop N Swop being cancelled.

They never finished SNS because of changes to the N64's RAM chip. Newer n64's held data for less time in RAM after power down. The new amount of time was only somewhere around 3 seconds not giving people enough time to switch games, thus transferring items that way wouldn't work. It had nothing to do with them not being able to come up with ideas on what the secret items should unlock.
Sorry just had to be a jerk there. Maybe I misunderstood you.

But it always has bothered me that there is no "swap zone"... I know it to be true but it just seems wrong.

Old 8th August 2008, 08:07 PM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
The Ram chips that are produced for the N64 were developed by RAMBUS Inc. After development started on Banjo Tooie, Rambus introduced a new Ram chip called the "Concurrent RDRAM" which featured lower latency time(which also meant they hold data for less time after power down). These were implemented into the new N64 systems, thus sealing the fate of Stop N Swop on the 64.

We can say it was probably more 50/50 between Rambus and Nintendo. Had rambus waited a little bit longer though, we most likely woulnd't have an incomplete stop n swop.