Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 14th October 2014, 07:29 AM
Best Rarely Active Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 4
Game On RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal 
I should have a playable prototype out by the end of the year. You have health, you can collect "notes", you'll be able to talk to NPC's that will assign you quests, and reward you with "Jiggies" when you achieve the quests. I'll also make a couple of basic enemies and other collectibles that may be needed to complete the quests.

All the graphics will be placeholder. It'll be a simple test level that demonstrates the functionality of the engine, and is not meant to be a level that will appear in the final build.

Old 19th October 2014, 11:08 AM

Began redoing the engine from scratch this week. Here's what I have so far. (All of the models and textures and whatever are placeholders)

http://i.imgur.com/SrAct4k.png

For now, you can move around and jump. The camera follows you (although it eases into its new position much like the N64 games do). You can rotate the camera around the player, and zoom out if you want. The camera also collides with walls, so you can't move the camera into a wall.

http://i.imgur.com/J4pj0nq.png

It also has fixed camera support. If you enter an invisible radius, the camera will automatically position itself at the "Fixed Camera Location". It'll stay in that position and continue to look at that player until you leave the radius, where the camera will return to normal.

http://i.imgur.com/MwyxE8B.png

Slopes work too. Your character will rotate along the normals. If you are on a slope that has a high rotation, you can still walk up it, but you will slow down overtime until your slide down the slope, which is what would also happen if you walked up a talon trot slope without talon trot.

http://i.imgur.com/pm2RUhN.png

The first three items, bronze silver and gold coins. Bronze gives you 1, silver gives you 5, gold gives you 10. A particle emitter surrounds a coin, but a silver coin will emit more particles than a bronze, and a gold will emit more than a silver. When you run into it, an explosion of particles will burst out, once again bronze has less and gold has more. The hud that displays the coins also eases its way down to its position. If I were to collect a different item before the display time of the coin expired, the second item would ease into a position below the coin counter, and when the coin counter expires, the coin counter would ease out off the screen, and the second item would ease into the position that the coin counter already had, just like Banjo-Kazooie did.

Let me know what you think so far, and what suggestions you have.

I also encourage you all to check out Kiwi 64 if you haven't already. It's a short N64 styled platformer that I discovered a couple of weeks ago. I'm helping the guy prepare a standalone version, and he gave me a couple of pointers regarding his experience developing the game. I also helped him improve the code a little bit.

gamejolt.com/games/platformer/kiwi-64/33914/

Old 19th October 2014, 12:12 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 15
Mystery Four Mystery Three Mystery Two Mystery One INFECTED - B2K1 
Already love it; the shadow's are generated by a light source though?
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 19th October 2014, 08:53 PM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Looking promising. I like that the test map is identical to BK's; would definitely lead the game in the right direction.

The note value system sounds good. I prefer values to be tiered in the way you described.

I have no suggestions as of yet, but iirc the BK team said in an interview years ago that they came up with worlds by first thinking of "everything you would expect to see" (e.g. for FEP; a snowman, an igloo, Christmas paraphernalia etc.) then adding the oddball elements after. Not sure how useful that piece of advice is for you.

Good luck. Will be following this project.

Old 19th October 2014, 10:53 PM
Formerly BanjoBoy123

INFECTED - B1K1 
what would a platform game be without platforms???

Old 20th October 2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smouvy View Post
Already love it; the shadow's are generated by a light source though?
Yeah the shadows are generated by a light source. While Banjo-Kazooie uses a generic shadow blob, Banjo-Tooie uses shadows with real time lighting. If you go near a light source in BT (Like a lamp in Glitter Gulch Mine), the shadow's position and scale will adjust based on Banjo's position. That game was truly ahead of its time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyT94 View Post
Looking promising. I like that the test map is identical to BK's; would definitely lead the game in the right direction.

The note value system sounds good. I prefer values to be tiered in the way you described.

I have no suggestions as of yet, but iirc the BK team said in an interview years ago that they came up with worlds by first thinking of "everything you would expect to see" (e.g. for FEP; a snowman, an igloo, Christmas paraphernalia etc.) then adding the oddball elements after. Not sure how useful that piece of advice is for you.

Good luck. Will be following this project.
The coins (I'm going to change them to a different currency name and model later on) are going to be used to buy items and abilities. Like BK and BT, they're finite, so you can't collect them over and over again. I also have a good idea of what the "Jiggies" of the game will be. It'll make sense to why these specific items open worlds. I'll use BK "Jiggy Depositing" system.

The test map is identical to BK's because it is BK's test map . Later on, I'm going to try my engine out on other Kazooie or Tooie maps to see if I got the right "feel" down. However, I'll want this game to be able to also stand on its own. Kids and adults who never played any of Rareware's gems can still enjoy this game, while also being introduced to the genre.

I know what the theme of the first world will be like. I still need to fully map it out. It's a theme that hasn't appeared in any platformers that I know of. The hub world will be an industrial city surrounded by all sorts of crazy worlds, some of the worlds taking place inside the city's buildings.

Appreciate the support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
what would a platform game be without platforms???
Next time, along with vast improvements on the camera system.

Old 23rd October 2014, 08:59 PM
Thread of the Year '10-'11

Total Awards: 22
You're Appreciated! Archery 2000 Trophy Puzzle Six Puzzle Five Mystery Four 
I've always said the best things about banjo kazooie were summerized in three simple things:
Atmospheric music; the lair theme changing to mumbo mountains intstruments when outside that stage is a perfect example
Controls; including bottles letting replayers skip the tutorial, all buttons working as they should, all jump archs behaving perfectly.
The camera: Most specifically, holding R to keep it behind you.

Old 28th October 2014, 10:09 PM
Ph.D

INFECTED - B1K1 
hey i just got done playing kiwi 64

there aren't 60 clefs are there

Old 29th October 2014, 03:39 AM
Ph.D

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiffgurl View Post
nope its an ~ epic joke ~
ugh i hate it when you say things yiffgurl

Old 4th November 2014, 07:08 AM

I'm going to start up a dev blog in a couple of weeks. Polishing everything and making sure annoying stuff doesn't happen (Like Sticky walls that are slightly slanted) really takes a lot of your time.

I improved the camera collision a bit, tweaked the controls and tested them around imported BK models to check if the "feel" was all right. I even added a mode where if you hold a certain button, the camera always stays behind the player. Fixed camera now have some rubber band variables to them, meaning that the fixed cameras can only follow you up to a certain distance from its original position.

My next big milestone is a quality scripting system, that way I can make NPC interactions extremely easy to implement. For example, if I made Chimpy, his class would be like this:

Keep in mind this is bare bones at the moment. In order for the script to run correctly I would need the actual functions to be functional and do a couple of coroutines.

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

Code:
public class Chimpy : NPC 
{
    public Node m_orangeNode; // Where Banjo throws the Orange
    private bool m_interact; //Does Banjo interact with Chimpy?
    private bool m_communicateWithPlayer = false; //Is Chimpy able to interact with Banjo?
    private bool m_introduced = false;
    public Node m_runNodes;
    public ChimpyStump m_stump;

void Start () //What the GameObject does when the scene starts
    {

}

void FixedUpdate () //The update function of the NPC. Runs regardless if you're close enough or not. Nothing to do here for Chimpy
    {

}

void CloseUpdate() //This update function is only called if you are in Chimpy's trigger.
    {
         if (!m_introduced)
        {
            ChimpyWantsOrange();
            m_introduced = true;
        }

if (Globals.Inventory.Oranges >= 1)
        {
            Globals.Player.ThrowItemTo(m_orangeNode); //Item Banjo's holding is tossed to the Orange Node
            Globals.Inventory.Oranges--; //Removing the Orange
            Globals.SFX.PlaySound("Victory"); //Play Sound effect
            Globals.Scripts.DisplayText("Chimpy", "Oh...Chimpy like Conga's orange, Chimpy help fat bear and bird!"); //Brings up a text string that halts the game until its completed. First is the string ID of Chimpy's icon.
            ChangeAnimation("Running"); //Changes the animation of Chimpy
            ChimpyStump.Raise(); //Another NPC Object.  The ChimpyStump class is responsible for raising itself and then spawning the Jiggy after it's done
            MoveTo(m_orangeNode, 0.1f); //Move to a node on the scene. Halts script until NPC moved to node;

foreach (Transform t in m_runNodes)
            {
                MoveTo(t, 0.1f); //Moving to all the nodes on the list.  Chimpy in BK runs to 5 or so different nodes before dissapeering.
            }

Hide(); //He reached the final node.  Get rid of Chimpy and detatches this script from Chimpy's GameObject.
        }
     }

private void ChimpyWantsOrange()
    {
        Globals.Scripts.DisplayText("Chimpy", "Chimpy hungry. Wants orange now. Feed Chimpy!"); //Brings up a text string that halts the game until its completed. First is the string ID of Chimpy's icon.
    }

public void Interact() //Player presses B.
    {
        ChimpyWantsOrange();
    }

void OnTriggerEnter(Collider c) //Enter's Chimpy's Trigger collider
    {
        Globals.Player.SetNPCInteract(this); //Passed into the player as a delegate. If the player presses B, InteractButton is called.
        if (Globals.Inventory.Oranges >= 1)
        {
            Globals.Player.PullOutItem(Globals.Items.Orange); //Banjo pulls out the item from his bag
        }
        m_communicateWithPlayer = true;
    }

void OnTriggerExit(Collider c) //Leaves's Chimpy's Trigger collider
    {
        Globals.Player.SetNPCInteract(null);
        Globals.Player.PutAwayItem();
        m_communicateWithPlayer = false;
    }
}

Last edited by Coolboyman; 5th November 2014 at 06:11 PM.

Old 3rd December 2014, 01:02 PM

Been a month,

Still hard at work on the core engine. Implemented better physics, better camera collision. Most Unity games that I've seen that use Camera Collision, when the camera is behind the player and there's a wall in between, the camera will allign to the wall behind the player. My camera basically checks whether it's inside something or not, and if it is, then it will allign the camera, but if it isn't (A wall dividing the camera and the player and the camera's not inside anything), the camera will function normally.

I've better fleshed out what the world is going to be, the two main characters and a couple of the side character so far. I'm trying to make the character personalities believable while being fun and cartoonish.

A very talented artist have volunteered to produce the concept art and models for the game, so I'm very excited for that. I'll show off his concept art when I receive them. I've also decided that I'm going to use voice actors. I know a couple of people in mind that I want on board.

Just chuggin' along.

Last edited by Coolboyman; 3rd December 2014 at 01:11 PM.

Old 3rd December 2014, 06:19 PM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolboyman View Post
A very talented artist have volunteered to produce the concept art and models for the game, so I'm very excited for that. I'll show off his concept art when I receive them. I've also decided that I'm going to use voice actors. I know a couple of people in mind that I want on board.
Hey, if you ever need free voice labor, remember how close we live to each other. Look forward to seeing the concept art when it's ready.

Old 10th December 2014, 12:50 PM
Glowbo

TEACH ME YOUR WAYS, GREAT ONE

I'm serious. I can offer you naught but my willingness to learn, sadly. Well, that and my surprisingly good voice talent.

Last edited by MisterEightySix; 10th December 2014 at 12:58 PM.

Old 13th December 2014, 11:47 PM
Von Kriplespac

INFECTED - B1K1 
I got accepted as a developer nearly 3 months ago. I'm still early in the concept stage of what I'm doing but I'm really glad to have recently put stuff into motion.

Old 19th January 2015, 09:55 PM

First piece of rough concept art. They're likely to change overtime.

Bonus points if you can guess who the artist is.

http://i.imgur.com/OordAln.jpg

Last edited by Coolboyman; 19th January 2015 at 09:59 PM.

User Tag List