Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 23rd August 2008, 07:33 AM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolisCool
I'm alive and well! I have been having some personal issues on my end, but I haven't forgotten about my precious projects.
Woot! Glad to have you back .

Quote:
As far as BG goes - I've implemented texture support, but I don't know the CI textures' palette bpp. SubDrag or someone should know, and once I know that, it will take 5 minutes for full texture support.
Do you know where texture data is usually stored within the model file? I was messing around with Model data in Banjo-Kazooie about a month ago, and found a value near the beginning of one of the Grunty Lair Rooms(one with TTC puzzle image) that would stretch and shrink the texture size. I don't know if that would lead us to the pallete bits per pixel, but it's interesting nonetheless.

I think...looking at Bottles Glasses Source and how it parses the model file, that texture data comes before the display list and master vertex array? I dunno, I'm really novice at this stuff.

Quote:
I've also fixed a lot of bugs and things of that nature (loads models instantly now, too, have optimized it quite a lot). I'm ready to let out a new release, just need to know the palette bpp that BK uses.
Looking forward to that release .

Quote:
Regarding DK64 - it doesn't yet even parse the display lists, so trying to "fix" the source to make them work is pointless. The fix would be to implement a parser (which I will do after the next release of BG).
I wasn't really sure yet. That's probably why you had it disabled in the code . Anyways, we should find something interesting in Dk64 kiosk. Coolboyman and I were taking a look at the isolated model files between DK64 kiosk and the final version, and it appeared that some things, like Snides HQ actually had more object data in the kiosk version. So maybe there still is cosmetic data in the kiosk. I can only hope .

Old 23rd August 2008, 10:39 AM
The Hero of the Hour

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Some of the files are giving me Arithmatic Overflow errors and some are loading completely blank despite being a good 400kb in size. Anyone know what the dealio is?

Old 23rd August 2008, 07:04 PM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman
Some of the files are giving me Arithmatic Overflow errors and some are loading completely blank despite being a good 400kb in size. Anyone know what the dealio is?
I've noticed that too. Maybe the display list just wasn't parsed correctly for those files. CoolisCool probably fixed it in the latest version though.

Quote:
Don't forget BK's marvellous texture blending at seams, cool
I think the UV(Texture mapping) data and Alpha(Transparent) values (from looking at cooliscools source) already take care of this. So don't worry.

Last edited by runehero123; 23rd August 2008 at 08:31 PM.

Old 24th August 2008, 02:42 PM
The Hero of the Hour

Hmm, perhaps thats it. Yes hopefully will be fixed. I'm trying to identify each model file now because im bored.

Old 19th October 2008, 02:33 AM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
Sorry to bump an old topic but I have an important question. Does anyone still have the source that CoolisCool released for Bottles Glasses? I'm working on a BK map editor, and really need to use the model loading functions for the visual part(Giving CoolisCool full credit for that of course). If anyone has it let me know.

Old 19th October 2008, 03:09 AM
The Hero of the Hour

I would have bumped this eventually.

Haven't heard much of the Bottles Glasses program as of late.

For anyone else who wants the source, I re-uploaded it to here:

Code:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1904YEV1

Old 19th October 2008, 03:22 AM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
Thanks.

I figured if I could get some help from Coolboyman and Subdrag, we could eventually parse the map setup files. Then I could eventually use the information to write the map editor functions using CoolisCools source. Since he already did most of the visual stuff .

Old 19th October 2008, 03:32 AM
The Hero of the Hour

I would worship you if you make a map editor for BK lol.

Old 19th October 2008, 03:34 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Chatterbox Grey Note Medal 
I would too. I've been waiting for a breakthrough such as that to come for Banjo Kazooie

Old 20th October 2008, 07:28 AM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
As far as BG goes - I've implemented texture support, but I don't know the CI textures' palette bpp. SubDrag or someone should know, and once I know that, it will take 5 minutes for full texture support.
I just parsed the "Bottles Talking" 2d image file, and for each frame in the image it has a 256 color pallete in the Format RGBA(4-bit values).

Each R G B and A value can be 0 - F, so for example, .I have the value:

F20F.

Red = 15(0xF)
Green = 2(0x2)
Blue = 0(0x0)
Alpha = 15(0xF)

It's a 32 x 32 image by the way, and each pixel is stored as 8-bit, so it can have a 256 color pallete.

Bottles talking isn't a texture(just a sprite), so I'm not sure if this information will be useful...

[Edit] I contacted him by email to let him know. Wait, what is a CI texture? I can't find any good documentation on it.

Last edited by runehero123; 22nd October 2008 at 02:10 AM.

Old 21st October 2008, 10:11 PM
Rarewitch Hero

Total Awards: 5
SteamLink Verified INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Awesome Default Medal Thread Starter 
Sub and myself took a look at the setup files a long time ago and identified a lot of stuff, but unfortunately, they included hard references to memory where the game would load the assets for that level. So, it seemed like each level had it's own set of assets loaded in, so you couldn't just change one prop for another, unless it belonged to that level in the first place.

Of course further investigation would identify how to fix it so it would load the assets you want and then hardcode the setup files to be at the location you chose. So essentially preprocessing the setup file for what assets you've chosen, changing the loader to include them, and then change the setup file locations which reference those addresses.

We deemed it too much work given our current lack of free time, but good luck with yours.

Old 21st October 2008, 10:56 PM
ᴅʀᴀɴᴋ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴜɴᴄʜ

Total Awards: 5
Imagination Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
I'm not as interested in BK map editing as much as I'd like to export the models for other uses. It'd be great to export levels to a standard format so they'd be easily imported into other PC game map editors (Quake 3, Half-Life 2, etc.)

Old 22nd October 2008, 04:09 AM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
Thanks. I did find a suspicious file in the ROM that loads into RAM every time you load a new scene. It's only read during the loading process of the map and then cleared from RAM when it isn't needed anymore.

As for what it does, I'm not sure yet. Provided an attachment if you're interested.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Global Map File.zip (321 Bytes, 17 views)

Old 7th March 2009, 10:38 AM
Dingpot

Not too astounding, but I got a little time + motivation to actually do something...

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4821/clipboard02e.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/690...board01mjc.jpg

Untextured geometry are CI textures, implementation shouldn't take more than about 30 minutes of nonstop work.

Old 7th March 2009, 11:37 AM
Dingpot

Hm.. if each channel in the color palette's 4 bits, this code *should* be properly converting each channel to 8 bit, but the output's completely wrong...

Code:
for(int iw = 0;iw<palbytes-1;iw+=2){
rExtract = palette[iw] >> 4; 

gExtract = palette[iw] << 4; 
gExtract >>= 4;

bExtract = palette[iw + 1] >> 4;

aExtract = palette[iw + 1] << 4;
aExtract >>= 4;

rExtract *= 17;
gExtract *= 17;
bExtract *= 17;
aExtract *= 17;