Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop

Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop SNS? Bottle's Revenge? Share your thoughts on the mysteries of the Banjo series and discuss the new Stop 'n' Swop features in Nuts and Bolts and the XBLA games

View Poll Results: What do YOU think about Coolboyman's recent SNS discovery?
I feel it is a hoax. 11 15.71%
I feel it is real. 27 38.57%
I am undecided on the matter / don't care. 23 32.86%
It is a bit of both - real and fake. 9 12.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th March 2007, 01:41 AM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 3
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast RWP Bash Day 7 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarAang
If it turns out to be a hoax I leave this site forever. I come here to discuss Stop N Swop, not to be led in the wrong direction with false crap.
Welcome to the club, my friend.

Oh, and I voted I don't care, because if you don't have a opinion, you can't be wrong

Old 29th March 2007, 01:45 AM
Brash Breegull

I really don't care either way , I think people get to serious about SNS in general. I like SNS discussion and debate but sometimes it get out of hand.

you should of made the poll public.

Old 29th March 2007, 01:51 AM
Formerly SolarBoyMatt

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Hmm, I posted earlier saying that I belived it, but the more I think about it, the less real it seems. I'm not sure what to say any more. We'll just have to wait until April 1st to find out...

Old 29th March 2007, 01:52 AM
Dingpot

Hah, I thought you said "pubic" for a second.

I don't really care about Coolboyman's discovery. It's probably real, but I've never looked into it, so it may be fake.

For those who wondered what I voted for.

Old 29th March 2007, 02:19 AM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 Random Award 
Hey, he hasent been back in a while,

Old 29th March 2007, 02:33 AM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
At the moment I really couldnt say. I dont know why he would waste his time making that music if it was fake, but why would you be collecting eggs in Banjo Tooie? So yah im undecided.

Old 29th March 2007, 02:49 AM
Jolly Rodger

RWP Note Medal 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmzroll
Hey, he hasent been back in a while,
He's probably too busy enjoying Jetpac Refueled while we waste time waiting for an update, lol

Old 29th March 2007, 04:18 AM
Jinjo

Well, slaphappy's post was it for me. I think it's fake, and the whole time through reading the thread, I saw how things could be fake, and I was a bit upset when he supplied a savestate that did not allow the player to leave the area, because I knew that it could mean that he could have made some heavy modifications to the rom, savestated them, and then passed that savestate for the same effect. Though I couldn't figure out why there would be such heavy slowdown in the first video if it was what he said, I did notice that in his videos, which should all be of the quality, had darker shine on the purple egg, that moved with a slower framerate, and the same shine on the second two eggs, so he had to have used a different method for the hoax of the first egg for the contrast in the shininess of the other two.
It may be because a purple egg isn't from an inversion of color values, and instead a conversion of brightness levels on the egg, or it may be that he photoshopped each frame, either way could work.

The freeze digit was included solely to be his alibi for why the savestate he provides doesn't work properly. That's easy enough to recognize.

I think it's pretty obvious that he is avoiding talking too much about what exact hacking he has done, and I have to say I'm pretty sure he would say a lot more. As I've observed, all of the "honest" hackers, when talking about what they've done, explain things very technically, and then have to go back, and put things in layman's turn. They are able to give a near complete play-by-play of what has happened when it comes to what they've modified. They tell you where the problems are, and why they can't get around it. They give details about why they have problems, and then give the details of how they get around them. In contrast, CBM tells us the short of what's happened. He hacked this out, and found the 0785 digit does something. That's pretty much all he has said on the technical side. Then, he goes and tells us that he was working to get by something, and he all of a sudden teleported to an different area, which has an egg there, overriding an image.

Now, I'm supposed to believe that, after we have already found the warp and image modifiers, all of a sudden they can change dramatically without any hacking/modification to that part of the code? I bit, and I went along, keeping in mind what I thought was off about it. Then, he releases the video, one of a light orange egg, which, to my eyes, is the color opposite of the Cyan egg. I note this, and continue on. Then, he names the brown egg, claiming the same thing has happened. The brown egg doesn't hardly really seem brown. It's a light color, and I can swear there's a red/orange undertone. It seems like it might be an inversion of the colors of the green egg, to me. Still, for the sake of what could be, I still believe.

So then, he releases the music. Something's off, but I can't put my finger on it. I knew that the mule sound shouldn't be there. That seems obvious, but it was, and I couldn't prove it shouldn't be otherwise, not through any certain rationalization. So I went with it, still hoping I was wrong. At this point, people are naming things that are noticeably off left and right. I find one that really doesn't fit with the music: The fanfare is softer than the rest of the song. That's how I know it's fake, and even mixed or written poorly. I still give him the benefit of the doubt, even though I'm full of doubt at this point.

Then slaphappy made his post, and I know he knows something is up, and that he'd be able to tell easier than I could, for all his hacking experience. So, at that point, I decided it was a fake, as there were too many flaws, too many coincidences I had noticed, and that song, along with the fact that someone who actually knew what he was talking about considered it a scam, so I put what I had noticed together, and that is what I believe happened.

Edit: Made some changes to format. I hope this makes it easier to read, but if it doesn't, let me know, and I'll spread things around a little bit more.

Old 1st April 2007, 06:14 AM
Jinjo

-Bump- ;O Needed it, people were bitching about me posting in the main thread.
Let's analyze what's real and whats fake about the supposed new egg/stone key finds.
Bad points -
Music track (Badly put together)
Save states (heavily edited...?)
Chances of finding 3 eggs and a new key in like 2 weeks
Chances of icemario and subdrag overlooking them
CBM's attitude not too convincing
Reason for the eggs (?)
Good points -
Alot of support from the RWP members
Well put together

Anyone care to add?

Old 1st April 2007, 06:23 AM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
I think it came way too early to be just a hoax. Besides, hasn't he given the lines of code to others in our little search party, who have been able to replicate the eggs? Nevertheless, the most evident piece of evidence that this one is for real comes from the boys at Rare themselves. Why would they have mentioned Coolboyman's name in their "Jetpac Refuelled" game if it were only a fraud?

Old 1st April 2007, 06:25 AM
Jolly Rodger

RWP Note Medal 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin
Besides, hasn't he given the lines of code to others in our little search party, who have been able to replicate the eggs?
Nope, he only gave a savestate.

Old 1st April 2007, 06:28 AM
Jinjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin
Nevertheless, the most evident piece of evidence that this one is for real comes from the boys at Rare themselves. Why would they have mentioned Coolboyman's name in their "Jetpac Refuelled" game if it were only a fraud?
=/ You know rare... Why would they add "ridicoulously secret area", why would they put a giant ice key in a walrus cave... It's just how they roll xD

Old 1st April 2007, 03:44 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 17
You're Appreciated! Mystery Four Mystery One Thread Starter Imagination 
Hm.. I wonder how this reappeared.. Ah well.. *glares at person* Thanks for looking through. You know who you are..

I beleive the poll tells itself. It is PROBALLY real, and PROBALLY fake..

Buterflies are insex. ~TwilightVestige

Old 1st April 2007, 04:28 PM
Formerly Avarice

Total Awards: 16
Mystery Three Mystery Two Mystery One INFECTED - B2K1 Bashful 
..........can I buy a vowel?

Old 1st April 2007, 05:10 PM
Dingpot

RWP Note Medal 
At this point, there is so much debate I don't know which way to turn. Therefor, I don't care! Too much thinking for me. It's break, time to chill out. (this is coming from the kid who just ran 3 miles >.>).