Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 25th March 2016, 10:58 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
it's a well-known fact among everybody who has dug too deep into the gex franchise, and that is actually the truth, it is real

Old 26th March 2016, 12:35 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Lake Flaccid is the first sub-hub of Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko. Here, the levels have a degree of action themes to them.

Old 26th March 2016, 03:09 AM
Funniest Member ('13 - '14)

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
*smokes a lot of WEED* hello dominos I would like to place an ALTO MONDO PLEASE

Old 26th March 2016, 04:28 AM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
You could show it to some teenagers today and have the same effect.

Old 26th March 2016, 05:15 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

i am a teenager today and was a young child when i owned the game and i can confirm that i had no idea what half the jokes were in reference to whenever i played the game at any point in time

even as a young child, i think there was a point where i stopped laughing instinctively because weird things were happening and just wondered what the hell was even happening anymore

Old 27th March 2016, 06:54 PM

Starting in I think February, I've played through Pokemon Yellow, Heart Gold, Platinum, Black, and now I'm on X. All right in a row. I don't know how I'm not bored. I think I have a problem. Also, I've tried like four or five times to get into Dark Souls, and while I've put at least a dozen hours into the game, I just can't ever commit to it. I think my recent shot of vitamin B12 is what it will actually take for me to muster up the mental energy to maintain interest. It's a series and world I really want to get into and enjoy, especially at the height of its popularity.

Old 27th March 2016, 11:16 PM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
Playing through Yellow has really made me realize how much more difficult those early games really are. I don't think I've blacked out a single time in my AR or X playthroughs, but here I am getting swept by Misty. It's a much bigger time commitment, and I think the grinding is way too much. However, if they just kept the Exp. Share in the new games but dramatically increased the difficulty of the puzzles and battles, it could really be a perfect game.

Old 28th March 2016, 12:03 PM
Story of the Year '10 - '11

INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
Just started The Witness. Far too early to say much, but some of the logic is... interesting. Currently struggling with the puzzles involving the black and white squares (thought I understood the logic but maybe not? or maybe I'm just bad?). Definitely a brain teaser.

Old 28th March 2016, 06:13 PM
Formerly Chilli

Total Awards: 8
Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Playing through Yellow has really made me realize how much more difficult those early games really are. I don't think I've blacked out a single time in my AR or X playthroughs, but here I am getting swept by Misty. It's a much bigger time commitment, and I think the grinding is way too much. However, if they just kept the Exp. Share in the new games but dramatically increased the difficulty of the puzzles and battles, it could really be a perfect game.
I think that's part of why Red is still my favourite game. Not just for nostalgia's sake, but for the fact that there's an actual challenge behind it, even after you get mew or a ghost Pokemon.

Also catching legendaries wasn't done with a quick ball. It was done with 1 hp and sleep/paralysis.

Old 29th March 2016, 09:30 AM
Story of the Year '10 - '11

INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
Ok so The Witness is very good, I don't want to diminish that, and I'm genuinely enjoying it, and when the puzzles are good they are quite good, but man, I swear, a lot of the puzzles I feel less like I'm trying to solve them with logic and more like I'm playing a game of "Guess what the developer was thinking", except the developer is a ****ing madman. Like the solutions are logical once you figure out the logic, but trying to figure out the logic in the first place? Maaaaaan.

Old 30th March 2016, 09:38 PM

My main gripe with the game, with the full concession that I've never played it, is the majority of the puzzles basically being their own game within the game. It's like if you were playing BK and when you got a Jiggy the game would have you solve a Sudoku puzzle in order to continue. But the thing is it's not like that makes it awful, especially if you like Sudoku.

Old 30th March 2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiffgurl View Post
r/b are my favorite pokemon for a lot of reasons, i realized recently that i don't even like pokemon as a franchise at all but r/b is so important as a work of art and g/s feel like a very un-pokemon ambient experience so i really like those games a lot
I love Pokemon while recognizing many of its flaws. In fact, the older I get the more I grow to appreciate it. It's strange. I love it as a series despite:

-The games essentially placing the burden on the player to make it challenging for themselves. "Nuzlocke" is the best example of this terrible difficulty imbalance.
-Keeping the meta-game basically a secret for too long for players who enjoy that crap.
-Way too many underdeveloped gimmicks per generation - contests, plays, film shoots, bad, bad mini-games. I wish more fun diversions would center around catching, trading, and battling, like the Bug-Catching Contest or Safari Zone. Although I guess they do have tons of those.
-Generally bad writing. And the more plot-heavy the games become, the more cringe-inducing the dialogue is. I really hope its peak was Black and White. It had some seriously "Pokemon: The First Movie" levels of hypocritical, condescending, cloying, saccharine writing. It's not so bad in X and Y.
-Some other things I'm forgetting.

Great series tho

Old 30th March 2016, 10:09 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

pokemon is primarily aimed at children so that is probably a reason why it is kind of easy

Old 30th March 2016, 10:29 PM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
pokemon is primarily aimed at children so that is probably a reason why it is kind of easy
They have gotten significantly easier though. Compare RB to XY.

Old 31st March 2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
There are plenty of games aimed at children with reasonable difficulty. With Pokemon, however, it's only gotten harder to make it harder on yourself. Having a full team of six Pokemon will make any game in the main series harder, because spreading out experience points like that means your Pokemon will all be at a level disadvantage. Level advantages in Pokemon are huge. If you're even like, six levels above your opponent you pretty much can't lose. It used to be you could take one Pokemon and vastly out-level every opponent in the whole game with casual training. Now with all the exp. tricks and bonuses in X and Y you can have a whole team like that.

edit: From what I remember I never really noticed the stuff noted in the above paragraph until Grey Jinjo pointed it out to me. Y'know, credit where it's due and such

In my experience with playing through a bunch of the main games in the last two months, the challenge came from my desire to use a full and varied team of Pokemon I have rarely or never used before, over a team of one or three Pokemon that could plow through all eight gym leaders and the Elite Four.

I think it's pretty revealing how bad I actually *am* at Pokemon however, that I avoid "bonuses" like the Battle Tower/Frontier/Subway/Chateau because I end up sucking at those. Yet that's where the single-player game is at its purest and most challenging.

User Tag List