Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 10th September 2014, 12:25 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 15
Mystery Four Mystery Three Mystery Two Mystery One INFECTED - B2K1 
Yeah, I have similar issues. 8 bit still looks nice; 16 bit still looks nice (both of course does depend on the game). 64 bit looks like a polygonfest more than anything. There's a reason so many N64 don't really hold up anymore aesthetically.
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 10th September 2014, 02:51 PM
Best Rarely Active Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 4
Game On RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal 
I think you're both right. Maybe its the fact that not only I grew up with this stuff, but I've been reverse engineering those games for years that the games appear more aesthetically pleasing to me than the average person. I knew not everyone was going to like it, hence I said it was a huge risk. But if hardcore Banjo-Kazooie fans don't think it's a good idea, then I think I'll scrap it.

I'd still like the art direction to be an obvious nod to the N64. Maybe very high quality models (in N64 terms) but with current gen quality textures and shaders?

Old 10th September 2014, 03:53 PM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Total Awards: 13
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter SteamLink Verified Awesome Default Medal RWP Podcast 
I have a passion for 64bit games so I would love to see a new game in that style. I support your idea, CBM.

Old 10th September 2014, 04:48 PM
Humba Wumba

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
I support it too. You know how many indie games these days just go straight to 8 bit pixel graphics? They're getting played out. But no one does 64 bit, so not only would it be a refreshing indie game for once, but your game would get more attention for being one of the few to make one that looks like that. It's not supposed to look good, since Banjo looks like crap, graphically, but it would be a much needed homage to the n64/ps1 generation

Old 10th September 2014, 06:29 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 15
Mystery Four Mystery Three Mystery Two Mystery One INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smouvy View Post
Yeah, I have similar issues. 8 bit still looks nice; 16 bit still looks nice (both of course does depend on the game). 64 bit looks like a polygonfest more than anything. There's a reason so many N64 don't really hold up anymore aesthetically.
To add to this, of course there are games that still do hold up this day and age, and actually get a bit of charm from being in the 64 bit era. Games like Zelda (both OoT and MM) and the Banjo-Kazooie games. Both of those games went the extra mile and pushed what was possible with the system.

Games like Super Mario 64 though, no matter how much fun they are, just look like a collection of polygons.
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 11th September 2014, 01:37 AM
Mecha-Grunty

Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
I definitely think the 64-bit style could be pulled off. I just don't think it would be easy.

Current gen textures and shaders are a good idea. If you really want the game's art to be a nod to old-school N64 games, try using the always-facing-you sprites for entities and effects, a la Banjo-Kazooie's collectables.

In the end, it all comes down to whether or not the game looks good. That's not something you can know until you see it. It would be worth putting some time into a few different art styles; true N64, high-res N64, etc.

I don't think I'd like the look of a game that looks just like the blurry, jagged stuff I was looking at 14 years ago, but, who knows, maybe you can change my mind.

EDIT/PS: Those world unlock puzzles in Banjo-Tooie (and the Bottles challenge puzzles in Banjo-Kazooie), would work reeeaaally well on the Wii U gamepad.

Last edited by LoMoNoCrAt; 11th September 2014 at 01:43 AM.

Old 11th September 2014, 10:32 AM
Best Rarely Active Member '11 - '12

Game On RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal 
I think I'll give this art direction a shot whenever I find a modeler and get to that phase.

We'll make one scene, show it off to you guys and see what you think. It'll take a while though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smouvy View Post
To add to this, of course there are games that still do hold up this day and age, and actually get a bit of charm from being in the 64 bit era. Games like Zelda (both OoT and MM) and the Banjo-Kazooie games. Both of those games went the extra mile and pushed what was possible with the system.

Games like Super Mario 64 though, no matter how much fun they are, just look like a collection of polygons.
Yeah, I was planning to go with the later N64 style.

Old 12th September 2014, 09:09 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Chatterbox Grey Note Medal 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoMoNoCrAt View Post
If you really want the game's art to be a nod to old-school N64 games, try using the always-facing-you sprites for entities and effects, a la Banjo-Kazooie's collectables.
I think billboard rendering with modern graphics would ridiculous.

Old 15th September 2014, 05:10 AM
Mecha-Grunty

Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarFox View Post
I think billboard rendering with modern graphics would ridiculous.
I think it would be hilarious! Give all the textures googly-eyes and it's like they're always looking at you!

Old 22nd September 2014, 10:17 PM
Dingpot

INFECTED - B1K1 
How about a remake of DK64 for Wii U?

Old 23rd September 2014, 01:03 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombi Jombo View Post
How about a remake of DK64 for Wii U?
Nope. Nintendo doesn't accept unsolicited business proposals or game concepts from developers on their indie programme.

Old 24th September 2014, 12:15 AM
Glowbo

For obvious reasons, I am obligated to condone this project. But now you're also obligated to actually do it.

Old 24th September 2014, 02:27 AM
Dingpot

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthewiidict View Post
Nope. Nintendo doesn't accept unsolicited business proposals or game concepts from developers on their indie programme.
In my opinion i could ask nintendo for using their ips for indie games be one of the co-directors because DK64 is one my fav N64 game of all time.

Old 24th September 2014, 03:32 AM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
Quote:
In my opinion i could ask nintendo for using their ips for indie games be one of the co-directors because DK64 is one my fav N64 game of all time.

Old 24th September 2014, 11:44 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
You can't use their IPs just like that in an Indie game. You are going to have to have it published by Nintendo, if they accept your proposal. Even with Miis, they have to review the content of the game and see if it's acceptable.
I had a bad luck trying to secure permission to get Hat Kid to make cameo appearance in my game, but then again, that was Jonas Kaerlev, the guy who caused that SLAG gaming fiasco.

User Tag List