Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 25th November 2011, 04:23 PM
Von Kriplespac

I Have Homebrew 4.3 But Want to Get New Wii Games

Yeah I have Homebrew 4.3 but I wanna get new Wii games like DKCR, Skyward Sword, and maybe Galaxy 2 but I dont want to have to reinstall homebrew because quite frankly I don't know how. Someone had to walk me through it and I can't teach myself. So is there anyway to keep Homebrew and still play new games without updating?
Digimon Adventure 01 was probably one of the best things I'd ever seen. I even saw it through to the end. Then 02 came and messed everything up. Why did they have to change everything? If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Old 25th November 2011, 04:44 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
There should be. I don't remember having to update to play new games.

Old 25th November 2011, 05:03 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Yes, there is. Priiloader specifically will allow you to enable hacks that can do a number of things, ranging from removing region locks and blocking system updates. PM me and I'll try to walk you through the installation as best I can.

Old 25th November 2011, 05:05 PM
Most Helpful Member '10 - '11

Total Awards: 8
INFECTED - B2K1 Game On RWP Donator Viva Piñata TiP Mastery Viva Piñata Mastery 
Apart from telling you to wait for an update, there is not much we can do.

Guiding you in illegal activities is against the forum rules. We can only give you advice, not direct help.

Sounds to me like you'd have to uninstall you piracy software, then re-install it when you are done.

Old 25th November 2011, 05:11 PM
Von Kriplespac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolJosh3k View Post
Apart from telling you to wait for an update, there is not much we can do.

Guiding you in illegal activities is against the forum rules. We can only give you advice, not direct help.

Sounds to me like you'd have to uninstall you piracy software, then re-install it when you are done.
Homebrew is not piracy and neither is it illegal. You void the warranty of your console and run the risk of causing irreversible damage should you mess with something you really shouldn't have, but you won't break any laws.

I can provide both the software needed and instructions on how to set it up. I'm only keeping it to PMs as he said he would like his hand held throughout the process. The software I'm sending him is here. It's free and perfectly legal to download and use.

Old 25th November 2011, 05:21 PM

I could be wrong, but I am assuming the OP uses his Wii to pirate games. Most home brewers can't resist the possibility.

Because the software you are talking about, modifies the original purpose and code, it would come under the umbrella of illegal activities.

Old 25th November 2011, 05:32 PM
Von Kriplespac

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I am assuming the OP uses his Wii to pirate games. Most home brewers can't resist the possibility.

Because the software you are talking about, modifies the original purpose and code, it would come under the umbrella of illegal activities.
Soft-modding a Wii to run pirated games requires changing the installed cIOS, something that is very difficult to do if you aren't technologically inclined. Running hombrew software doesn't involve any of that. If he was able to run pirated Wii games on his system, then he wouldn't need to ask our help.

As much as corporations would like to make our mods illegal, they still aren't. If they were, then companies like Datel wouldn't exist.

Old 25th November 2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyNPC View Post
Soft-modding a Wii to run pirated games requires changing the installed cIOS, something that is very difficult to do if you aren't technologically inclined. Running hombrew software doesn't involve any of that. If he was able to run pirated Wii games on his system, then he wouldn't need to ask our help.

As much as corporations would like to make our mods illegal, they still aren't. If they were, then companies like Datel wouldn't exist.
It is a very complex issue, that goes far beyond technicalities of what a mod does.

Companies like Datel, use loopholes in the law to get around. Such as making use of a systems' security flaw, but without actually changing the console code in any way.

Old 25th November 2011, 07:43 PM
Von Kriplespac

Quote:
It is a very complex issue, that goes far beyond technicalities of what a mod does.

Companies like Datel, use loopholes in the law to get around. Such as making use of a systems' security flaw, but without actually changing the console code in any way.
I assure you that nothing I provide or that is provided on the Wiibrew wiki are against the law or our forum rules. There is no law in the United States that prohibits user modifications to software or hardware. Homebrew software and console mods are legal as long as they are used in a way that doesn't violate the DMCA. Even software commonly used to play pirated games such as NeoGamma (an application used to launch game backups from a Wii with the proper cIOS installed) are considered legal, as they do not strictly exist to break a law. It is the user who holds responsibility for any copyright infringing activities.

I understand that there are a few more different laws regarding this in the UK. I'm not too familiar with them, but I believe they have something to do with distributing software that may enable someone to infringe against a copyright. We wouldn't have to worry about that either as like I explained before, you can't play a pirated game without going beyond what I or the wiki have explained.

There's no reason to fear any legal trouble here. If you have an SD card an a Wii yourself, I could help you set it up so you too can enjoy free and legal software made for the users by the users!

Old 25th November 2011, 07:54 PM
Formerly itmightbenayib

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! Mystery Three Mystery Two Chatterbox RWP Podcast 
Try loading your games through a backup loader. These usually get around updates that the game requires installed, but aren't actually necessary. NeoGamma is good, or use Priiloader like mentioned above.

Old 25th November 2011, 08:33 PM
Von Kriplespac

I just use Homebrew emulators. I haven't figured out how to do anything else. I don't know if it counts as pirating the games but I just use ROMs of my old games that I can't play anymore. And ROM hacks but other than that I have no idea how to do anything else.
Digimon Adventure 01 was probably one of the best things I'd ever seen. I even saw it through to the end. Then 02 came and messed everything up. Why did they have to change everything? If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Old 25th November 2011, 08:45 PM
Formerly itmightbenayib

If you own the original cartridges/discs, then emulating them is legal. If you don't own them, then it's technically illegal although not real acted on.

Recommended Console Wii emulators:
NES - FCE Ultra GX
SNES - SNES9x GX
N64 - Wii64
GameCube - ...well, GameCube Backup Loader?

Old 26th November 2011, 12:08 AM
Dingpot

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
WiiFlow... google it

Old 26th November 2011, 02:06 AM
Formerly itmightbenayib

WiiFlow loads from a USB, doesn't it? That wouldn't help very much.

Old 26th November 2011, 01:44 PM
Von Kriplespac

A backup loader would work as long as it supports the DVD slot, which NeoGamma does. No IOS changes are neccesary if you are playing a game from an official disc. I don't recommend WiiFlow as it may require a cIOS change and comes packed with wads, which contain portions of Nintendo's software, so some groups may frown upon the trade of those.

I still recommend priiloader as it simply blocks the update so you can still use the disc channel to play your games. I can show you how to set it up if you PM me.

Last edited by AndyNPC; 26th November 2011 at 01:50 PM.

User Tag List