Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Closed Thread

Old 30th October 2011, 08:22 PM
Glowbo

Stop n Swop on Project 64 only

I have been reading a lot of emulation hacks on here and I am wondering if were at a stage where it's even remotly possible to make it where fans can implant triggers ONLY in emulators like PJ64:
So in Banjo Kazooie you can swap the rom for a Banjo Tooie or maybe even a Donkey Kong 64 rom to do something there then swap the rom to BT and quite possibly unlock Bottles Revenge only on Project 64?

For example the fans could make their own theories come to life like do the entire game without cheats and don't die ONCE in the Final Battle then press A and Z at the same time when the Shark Food Island cuts scene comes up to grab the eggs yourself which only triggers if you are the one controlling Bnajo.
Then save the game at the Ice Key Cavern prompting you to swap the rom for the BT rom which then you go to the BT version of the ice cavern in Hailfire Peaks to unlock a feature.

Maybe use the in emulator expansion pack?

I am sorry if I am not very clear because I am aware I absolutely suck when it comes to using words to describe time sequences from one time frame to another to describe a series of steps. I couldn't write a direction guide for the love of my life.

Old 30th October 2011, 09:28 PM
Missing Hero

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Nope. According to my researching, Bottles' Revenge wouldn't be unlocked via SNS. Also SNS as transfering data is impossible on roms like it's impossible in N64 games. Swap code is removed from Banjo-Tooie and Donkey Kong 64.

Old 30th October 2011, 11:39 PM
Lord of Games

Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
Great Scott! The time circuits must be off, I'm in 2006 again!

Old 31st October 2011, 01:54 AM
Formerly itmightbenayib

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! Mystery Three Mystery Two Chatterbox RWP Podcast 
Wait, what if you loaded a save state from one game from another? That's kinda like switching ROMs on the spot... or am I completely wrong?

Old 31st October 2011, 01:58 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by itmightbenayib View Post
Wait, what if you loaded a save state from one game from another? That's kinda like switching ROMs on the spot... or am I completely wrong?
Save states don't work that way.

Old 31st October 2011, 02:01 AM
Mr. Pants

You can't load state in a game that's different from the one you save stated in.

Old 31st October 2011, 02:28 AM
Formerly itmightbenayib

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! Mystery Three Mystery Two Chatterbox RWP Podcast 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic Mario View Post
You can't load state in a game that's different from the one you save stated in.
I think you can. I vaguely remember doing it myself. I remember someone mentioned "loading a Super Mario 64 save state from the Super Smash Brothers ROM". Then it was supposed to be the equivalent to tilting the cartridge or something.

Old 31st October 2011, 06:01 AM
Formerly Chilli

Total Awards: 8
Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
Quote:
I think you can. I vaguely remember doing it myself. I remember someone mentioned "loading a Super Mario 64 save state from the Super Smash Brothers ROM". Then it was supposed to be the equivalent to tilting the cartridge or something.
Well, not quite, but it is amusing to see how far you can play while your character sinks into the floor and Mario curls up like a pill and the background becomes distorted with static .

But what the OP seems to be saying is for people to hack their own versions of S'N'S into the games on the ROM. Well, I guess it's possible, but good luck trying to have normal people do that ...

Old 31st October 2011, 07:44 AM
Missing Hero

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
You can save data when you are near SNS item in Banjo-Kazooie (press F5) and load taht data in Banjo-Tooie (press F7) but it crashes after few seconds.

Old 4th November 2011, 03:34 PM
Most Creative Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 8
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Reminiscence Rarity 
Doesn't it not work because the swap system was left unfinished on the N64? From what I remember, SNS was possible, but after Nintendo figured that it would damage the console, they stopped working on it.

And something about 10 seconds...I'm most likely wrong.

Old 5th November 2011, 01:13 AM
Dingpot

The problem was that in later revisions of the N64's motherboard, the amount of time data remained stored in RAM after switching off the console dropped so dramatically that it became impossible for the data to be picked up by Tooie, since by the time you switched cartridges, it would be gone. Originally there was a longer delay, which made the concept possible.

I believe there was talk of piggyback carts at one point, but that never went anywhere.

Suffice it to say; since the idea was never used, the code that detected the BK data in RAM no longer exists within Tooie or DK64's code.

Old 5th November 2011, 02:01 AM
Von Kriplespac

You're over a decade late for a stop n swop theory thread. Sorry
Digimon Adventure 01 was probably one of the best things I'd ever seen. I even saw it through to the end. Then 02 came and messed everything up. Why did they have to change everything? If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Old 22nd January 2012, 03:29 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoPL View Post
Nope. According to my researching, Bottles' Revenge wouldn't be unlocked via SNS. Also SNS as transfering data is impossible on roms like it's impossible in N64 games. Swap code is removed from Banjo-Tooie and Donkey Kong 64.
RARE remove coding???? UNPOSSIBLE

Old 22nd January 2012, 03:11 PM
Hello Sadness

Total Awards: 6
INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Chatterbox Awesome Default Medal INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjgano View Post
RARE remove coding???? UNPOSSIBLE
Rjgano, in future, If you're going to bump an old topic, at least add something of substance to it.

Closed Thread

User Tag List