Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop

Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop SNS? Bottle's Revenge? Share your thoughts on the mysteries of the Banjo series and discuss the new Stop 'n' Swop features in Nuts and Bolts and the XBLA games

Old 30th May 2009, 12:03 AM
Grunty's Reject

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
What I think to be the most sensible Stop 'N' Swop theory.

Basically I am adding on to ThumbsUpMaster's theory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKeT0cjYB5U&NR=1

I think that's pretty spot-on. Here's how I see it:

Stop 'N' Swop was first planned to utilize the N64's extra memory by copying the text that the Stop 'N' Swop items held in Banjo-Kazooie, into the system's extra memory (when the items were activated).

Then the text from Banjo-Kazooie would activate the Stop 'N' Swop eggs and ice key in Banjo-Tooie, through a now canceled feature (possibly in the tower room, like ThumbsUpMaster stated), which would just be the six items ThumbsUpMaster noted in his theory.

Then, I believe a while before Banjo-Kazooie was released, Nintendo decided to can the N64's extra memory, leaving a huge gap in Stop 'N' Swop's original plan. Rare would have to find some other source of memory to copy the text into so it could be copied into Banjo-Tooie.

Still in the beta stages of Banjo-Kazooie-possibly somewhat soon after the N64's extra memory got canned-a couple of beta Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo-Kazooie screenshots came out that included cameos of each others' games, seemingly linking the two together:

http://www.rarewitchproject.com/?id=1274

Which is interesting, considering Donkey Kong 64 was one of the few games that actually utilized the expansion pak (and I believe it was one of the first).

More recently, the RWP found the text "Ice Key" in Donkey Kong 64 (for reference, see last link). Some believe this to be merely for testing, which would make sense, considering that I think Rare was messing around with their new form of swapping, and wanted to test it, but if those cameos really did link the games together, then why would Rare go to all that trouble to change in game features-and then release them to the media-just for testing that was never going to be released to the public? If those cameos weren't a connection between games, then why would Rare go to all the trouble to take them out and replace them?

Anyways, I think the feature then got dropped due to various reasons, such as the thought of marketing a standalone device-and/or possibly three games-just for some in game prizes and a sequel that otherwise wouldn't require a standalone device (considering the original plan was to use the N64's extra memory, which wouldn't require any extra devices, it wouldn't have required any additional costs).

Instead, Rare decided to just try to cover up the original Stop 'N' Swop plan and replace it with the same items it would have given, just in-game.

So my main questions about Stop 'N' Swop really have to do with what it's original purpose in Donkey Kong 64 was suppose to be and what the original procedures you had to do in Banjo-Tooie were. Aside from that, I really think that's all Stop 'N' Swop was.

There's only one other interesting thought I can think of at the moment, and that's that maybe the items mentioned in ThumbsUpMaster's theory were originally planned to serve purposes..

Last edited by Banjo-Korezooie; 30th May 2009 at 12:24 AM.

Old 30th May 2009, 01:17 AM
Brash Breegull

INFECTED - B1K1 
Dear God why do people keep making theories? It's over and it's not that important! All it was and ever will be is a little, cool gimmick. You got the eggs and key in Banjo Kazooie, swapped them to Banjo Tooie and that was that. It was never meant to be anything special! All you're doing is building up false hope.

So get over it, it's done. Just look forward to the advancement of the Banjo series and Rare as a company. Good day.

Old 30th May 2009, 01:32 AM
Grunty's Reject

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_banjofan View Post
Dear God why do people keep making theories? It's over and it's not that important! All it was and ever will be is a little, cool gimmick. You got the eggs and key in Banjo Kazooie, swapped them to Banjo Tooie and that was that. It was never meant to be anything special! All you're doing is building up false hope.

So get over it, it's done. Just look forward to the advancement of the Banjo series and Rare as a company. Good day.

This is the Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop board, if you don't want to hear theories, then don't come here. Good day.

Old 30th May 2009, 01:37 AM
Brash Breegull

INFECTED - B1K1 
Actually I like to flame you guys that's why I come here

Old 30th May 2009, 01:40 AM
Grunty's Reject

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Oh. Well then, please go right ahead

Old 30th May 2009, 03:01 AM
Bajr

Total Awards: 4
You're Appreciated! RWP Donator RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Just GTFO. You aren't making the slightest bit of difference and you just use this as an oppertunity to bolster post count.

As for the theory, I do think it's sensible. Possibly correct, too. Who knows?

Old 30th May 2009, 03:57 AM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo-Korenzooie
Stop 'N' Swop was first planned to utilize the N64's extra memory by copying the text that the Stop 'N' Swop items held in Banjo-Kazooie, into the system's extra memory (when the items were activated).
I assume you're talking about the N64 Expansion pak here? It never stated anything about using "extra memory", it was meant to work off of the original RDRAM chips that dissipated power at a slower rate than the one's released during development of BT. Thus holding memory for less time when the machine was powered off, which resulted in SNS being canned.

Old 30th May 2009, 04:26 AM
Grunty's Reject

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by runehero123 View Post
I assume you're talking about the N64 Expansion pak here? It never stated anything about using "extra memory", it was meant to work off of the original RDRAM chips that dissipated power at a slower rate than the one's released during development of BT. Thus holding memory for less time when the machine was powered off, which resulted in SNS being canned.
LOL, I wouldn't know, as I'm not that "techy"-so obviously my grasp on Stop 'N' Swop wouldn't be as good as, say, yours-but no, I was referring to the N64's RDRAM-I guess -I assumed that it originally held extra memory for a short amount of time and that the Stop 'N' Swop items' text would activate the Stop 'N' Swop items in Banjo-Tooie, but when Nintendo changed it, it couldn't anymore, so Rare decided to switch to the expansion pak as a source for copying the text into it's memory for a limited time (though I don't know if that's even possible).

Hm, guess my theory wasn't as sensible as I would have hoped..

Old 30th May 2009, 07:29 AM
Grunty's Reject

**** up

Old 30th May 2009, 05:25 PM
Grunty's Reject

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGrey View Post
**** up
Wow, that's vague. Care to explain what you're on about, and what the first letter of your first word is (that helps )?

Old 31st May 2009, 01:06 AM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo-Korenzooie
I assumed that it originally held extra memory for a short amount of time and that the Stop 'N' Swop items' text would activate the Stop 'N' Swop items in Banjo-Tooie, but when Nintendo changed it, it couldn't anymore, so Rare decided to switch to the expansion pak as a source for copying the text into it's memory for a limited time (though I don't know if that's even possible).
I think the expansion pak holds data for the same amount of time as the 4mb ram paks, so it would be pointless for Rare to have done so.

Old 31st May 2009, 01:57 AM
Grunty's Reject

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
I think the expansion pak holds data for the same amount of time as the 4mb ram paks, so it would be pointless for Rare to have done so.
Well assuming you are referring to the released expansion pak, then wouldn't it make sense that a prototype that was being developed along with Donkey Kong 64 could have held memory for more time? Assuming Donkey Kong 64 was the first game to utilize it, that is.

Last edited by Banjo-Korezooie; 31st May 2009 at 01:59 AM.

Old 1st June 2009, 12:57 AM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo-Korezooie
Well assuming you are referring to the released expansion pak, then wouldn't it make sense that a prototype that was being developed along with Donkey Kong 64 could have held memory for more time? Assuming Donkey Kong 64 was the first game to utilize it, that is.
Uh, at the time BK was being developed, both the 4mb pak and Expansion pak were using Base RDRAM. Here's why:

A) The expansion pak was developed and required for 64DD(announced in 1996), not just DK64.
B) Assuming concurrent RDRAM wasn't around before they utilized it during the development of BT, both expansion pak and 4mb pak lost memory at the same rate when powered-down.
C) They updated the RDRAM I believe for faster access times, and because swapping games before all the memory was cleared from RDRAM could cause problems upon boot-up of some games.

Either way, concurrent RDRAM wasn't around until sometime during the development of Banjo-Tooie. So therefore, we can conclude that it had nothing to do with why they decided to implement a connection between BK and DK64.

Also see:
http://www.rarewitchproject.com/foru...t=blame+rambus

Last edited by runehero123; 1st June 2009 at 01:21 AM.

Old 1st June 2009, 03:52 AM
Grunty's Reject

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Uh, at the time BK was being developed, both the 4mb pak and Expansion pak were using Base RDRAM. Here's why:

A) The expansion pak was developed and required for 64DD(announced in 1996), not just DK64.
B) Assuming concurrent RDRAM wasn't around before they utilized it during the development of BT, both expansion pak and 4mb pak lost memory at the same rate when powered-down.
C) They updated the RDRAM I believe for faster access times, and because swapping games before all the memory was cleared from RDRAM could cause problems upon boot-up of some games.

Either way, concurrent RDRAM wasn't around until sometime during the development of Banjo-Tooie. So therefore, we can conclude that it had nothing to do with why they decided to implement a connection between BK and DK64.

Also see:
http://www.rarewitchproject.com/foru...t=blame+rambus
Ooh, lots of evidence-well, more like common knowledge, probably-thank you

So if it didn't have anything to do with testing with the expansion pack, then I assume they could have done whatever testing they needed with Banjo-Tooie, and whatever they were doing in Donkey Kong 64 was because they really were planning on releasing it to the public?

That would explain the linking cameos, if they really did have something to do with Stop 'N' Swop, that is. If so, that would of had to have been very early on, as it was never mentioned in Banjo-Kazooie.

Does this sound more realistic, Rune?