Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 11th April 2016, 02:55 AM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
Look, there are fair points to be made about not allowing the option to make Link female, but those reasons pale in comparison of common decency. They really can just work around it.

My idea was for them to go all the way, y'know, if you choose to play as a female then ALL characters in the game would have their sex swapped. Would take some work maybe and I dunno if it would be well received, but it would be fun/interesting.

Old 11th April 2016, 03:15 AM
Humba Wumba

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
I know how many people want girl Link, so I'm happy for them if it's included, but my personal feelings are that Link is his own character the way Samus or Mario is.

My only worry is that having a customizable character takes them out of the story as the writers would then be forced to either tweak things based on gender or make a one size fits all for character interaction, which is what I figure would happen. Especially after Skyward Sword, which I think was an amazing step forward for story telling in Zelda.

But really it doesn't matter in the end. I'm sure the game will be fine.

Old 11th April 2016, 03:29 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
wind waker is the best example of link's character, because it's the only zelda game where link has much of an actual character with a strong personality. it's also an example of a game that wouldn't really need to have much changes made to it if there was a gender option, i think

Last edited by The Colonel; 11th April 2016 at 03:32 AM.

Old 11th April 2016, 03:49 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 10
You're Appreciated! Bashful Imagination Game On Reminiscence 
I'm no Zelda die hard, but here's where I stand on gender options and Voice acting.

As for gender options I see no reason not to, but it better be handled with more care than it was in Hyrule Warriors with Linkle. Not only is her name stupid, but in her first cut-scene she makes a wrong turn into the woods despite having a map, a magic compass, and a signpost pointing in the correct direction. Talk about a dumb blonde. I know it's a third party developed game, but Linkle has left a bad taste in my mouth.

As for voice acting, I see no reason not to. It's an addition that won't require any drastic changes to the Zelda formula or lore.

Old 11th April 2016, 04:41 AM
Story of the Year '10 - '11

INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Yoshi View Post
Not exactly, Link is more than JUST an avatar for the player. This applies to most Zeldas, but Wind Waker is the most obvious because of that. In the first half hour of Wind Waker, we know this about Link:

He's lazy enough that he oversleeps on his own birthday, yet brave enough to try and rescue a girl he just noticed fall into the forest. He's reckless enough to jump off a cliff to save his sister, which shows not just how rash he is but also how much he cares about his family. You see him genuinely sad when he has to leave his grandmother. Even as a silent protagonist that the player can project themselves onto, Link is a character of his own.
Which one of those personality traits is supposed to preclude Link being female though? There's no correlation between this argument and the conclusion you're arriving at.

Gender has never been an important part of who Link is as a person, and as many people have already said, Link has always functioned as a mostly blank slate for the player to act through, so it's fascinating to see people suddenly acting like Link has actually always been this wildly complex masterfully written 3-dimensional character, where changing his gender has massive far-reaching implications for his character. Changing, say, Donald Draper to Donna Draper would be a seismic change that would change the fabric of the character and the story; changing Link to Linkle? Not so much.

Old 11th April 2016, 04:43 AM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
Fixed the thread title for ya.

Old 11th April 2016, 04:45 AM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Total Awards: 13
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter SteamLink Verified Awesome Default Medal RWP Podcast 
I want a male Samus option.

Old 11th April 2016, 04:47 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breegullbeak View Post
As for gender options I see no reason not to, but it better be handled with more care than it was in Hyrule Warriors with Linkle. Not only is her name stupid, but in her first cut-scene she makes a wrong turn into the woods despite having a map, a magic compass, and a signpost pointing in the correct direction. Talk about a dumb blonde. I know it's a third party developed game, but Linkle has left a bad taste in my mouth.
she sounds like a badass and i'd be friends with her irl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I want a male Samus option.
that's not an entirely fair thing to say since metroid isn't about different generations of samus. i wouldn't be super bothered by it but it would be a bit more awkward to shove in than it would for a series where the main character is never really the exact same person barring a few direct sequels or spin-offs

Last edited by The Colonel; 11th April 2016 at 04:51 AM.

Old 11th April 2016, 05:04 AM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
I obviously have no real skin in the game because as I've said once or twice around here, I'm not a player of the 3D Zelda games. However, I always find it strange that people have such strong opinions about things like this, or other inconsequential design choices. The new Zelda game will presumably stand on it's own, and it's not like it will affect the other games in the franchise that only have Link as a player option. (Who is named by you anyway, if I'm not mistaken?) It's not like there was an uproar when Pokemon Crystal added a female option. Although I know that Ethan is a very well developed character. (Yes, apparently that is the protagonist in Gold / Silver.)

Now, it's fair that Link is a bit different and of more importance than a Pokemon default name, but it's not like this stuff doesn't change in each game anyway. Hyrule has had multiple maps and will again. A new Zelda game having either a choice between male or female is really just as meaningless to you the player as what name you chose to give Link in previous games. If it gives me more options as a player, I think it's ok.

Old 11th April 2016, 05:27 AM
Funniest Member ('13 - '14)

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Excuse me Andre, I'll have you know Buttfart is the canon Hero of Time's name, because MY cartridge of Ocarina of Time is the real one.

Old 11th April 2016, 05:38 AM

My REAL oponion: One could conceivably argue that Link is a total playa, especially in Ocarina of Time. This is pretty strongly correlated to how much penis he has and his testosterone level. He gets the mad puss. However, if they gave Link a gender option in Ocarina of Time all they'd have to do is make Saria, Malon, and Nabooru MASSIVE lesbians. Now if you're gonna say that would detract from your experience I don't know what you're on but wow get off RWP you faux-progressive coot!

The point is the slight script alternations will be the solution to every problem. Like Banjonator said, it's either a catch-all script or they change every "him" to "her", best-case scenario. Not only that but it will be optional. If this is detracting from your experience as you play through the new Zelda as the beautiful new male Link, thinking look, I am so mad that the idea of a woman even exists and Link's gender is not specifically referred to in this new Zelda, then you are just a gay nazi.

Old 11th April 2016, 05:46 AM
Lord of Games

Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
wind waker is the best example of link's character, because it's the only zelda game where link has much of an actual character with a strong personality. it's also an example of a game that wouldn't really need to have much changes made to it if there was a gender option, i think
No, Wind Waker is the best example because it's the most blatant and least subtle in showing any degree of personality.

In Ocarina of Time you find out immediately that Link would rather sleep all day than go out and play, and with good reason. Mido, the leader of the Kokiri, makes fun of him for not having a fairy. Saria is the only Kokiri that is implied to even be close friends with Link. When Link leaves the forest and meets Saria on the bridge, he backs away awkwardly before running away, showing that he doesn't know how to or even want to say goodbye.

In Skyward Sword, Link is depicted as being a big dreamer, he always has his head in the clouds as Groose puts it. His interactions with Groose and Zelda give you a clear sense of what his personality is like at any given moment, as well as his dialogue options.

On that subject, I find it very difficult to believe that Groose would interact with Link in anywhere near a similar way if he was female. Similarly, I don't think Ilia would have interacted with Link in the same way either. The games are written with a male character in mind, and just providing the option without making significant changes wouldn't do the female character justice, and it would require gender-neutral story to be written, which would further limit the male character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjonator View Post
Which one of those personality traits is supposed to preclude Link being female though? There's no correlation between this argument and the conclusion you're arriving at.

Gender has never been an important part of who Link is as a person, and as many people have already said, Link has always functioned as a mostly blank slate for the player to act through, so it's fascinating to see people suddenly acting like Link has actually always been this wildly complex masterfully written 3-dimensional character, where changing his gender has massive far-reaching implications for his character. Changing, say, Donald Draper to Donna Draper would be a seismic change that would change the fabric of the character and the story; changing Link to Linkle? Not so much.
You just took everything I said out of context. I was responding to Yiffgurl's comments that Link is meant to represent the player, and I was making an argument to specifically disprove that. The conclusion from the post you quoted is that Link is not an avatar for the player, and is a character of his own, which validates the prior point I made about the Gerudo.

I also never claimed he was a wildly complex masterfully written 3-dimensional character, what I'm saying is that he's more than a blank slate. That is a fact, a blank slate character would be one like the main character of Pokemon who doesn't react to anything, who doesn't have any background. This is exactly what I was trying to prove with my previous examples- That Link is not a blank slate.

Please stop putting words in my mouth.

Old 11th April 2016, 06:21 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Colberto View Post
My REAL oponion: One could conceivably argue that Link is a total playa, especially in Ocarina of Time. This is pretty strongly correlated to how much penis he has and his testosterone level. He gets the mad puss. However, if they gave Link a gender option in Ocarina of Time all they'd have to do is make Saria, Malon, and Nabooru MASSIVE lesbians.
hecky eah

e; !!!

Last edited by The Colonel; 11th April 2016 at 06:22 AM. Reason: yeah!!!

Old 11th April 2016, 08:00 AM
Story of the Year '10 - '11

INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
Ok, pointing out how this gender option would affect other Zelda games is absolutely meaningless, because we aren't talking about other Zelda games, because the option for a female Link doesn't exist in other Zelda games, so let's make this simple: stop bringing up how a female Link would detract from other games that don't include the feature or how certain scenes in those other games would be different, and explain how the option for a female Link is going to detract from the game that actually includes a female Link. Because right now, your argument literally makes as much sense as me saying "Super Mario World shouldn't include the Double Mario power-up, because it wouldn't have worked in Super Mario Bros and they would've had to change Super Mario Bros." How will female Link detract, not from Ocarina of Time, not from Skyward Sword, not from Wind Waker, but from this game? I'm genuinely curious to know what your reasoning is, but so far, again, you've only explained how the feature wouldn't work in every other Zelda game except the one it's in.

Old 11th April 2016, 08:06 AM

Dylan Yoshi... Of course Link is an avatar for the player. The developers have constantly said as much. He simply has affectations of personality so you know whose boots you, as the player, are getting into. An avatar doesn't have to be a blank slate. He's not a stick-man, he's a courageous elf-boy warrior, and the point is you're supposed to want to be and feel like you *are that*. If he's your idea of a fully-formed character I suggest you read a novel. About Groose... even assuming he wouldn't act that way with a girl, there's no reason why they couldn't write new characters just as compelling (and hopefully moreso, Groose is vastly overrated in my opinion). It worked for Mass Effect.

User Tag List