Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop

Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop SNS? Bottle's Revenge? Share your thoughts on the mysteries of the Banjo series and discuss the new Stop 'n' Swop features in Nuts and Bolts and the XBLA games

Old 20th April 2008, 11:24 PM
Jinjo

SNS will be truly found when you will be able to do it with N64 cardriges. Using an emulator or something else, makes no sense, even if you find something. Well it's my opinion, now I'm waiting for BK3 to have an answer about this mysterious Key and those eggs we see at the end of BK.

Old 20th April 2008, 11:25 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 4
RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 6 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Interesting, but I'm not so convinced.

Old 20th April 2008, 11:27 PM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tntnico
SNS will be truly found when you will be able to do it with N64 cardriges.
Well, have fun waiting.

Old 20th April 2008, 11:45 PM
Lord of Games

Total Awards: 2
Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj View Post
no it doesn't, have I ever faked anything before? No!!
Neither had Coolboyman, but take a look at April Fools 07. Or Lerakolanche for that matter. I'm getting the DK64 ROM right now, and I'm gonna record a video of this to prove it real or fake.

Edit: Who bets this is setting up for April Fools 09?

Old 20th April 2008, 11:45 PM
Bunnycomb

It doesn't really matter whether or not the video is fake, it's still got absolutely nothing to do with the intended method of getting the Ice Key, whatever that might have been.

Think about it, if this was to work on a real N64, it'd play out entirely differently. You'd work your way to Wozza's Cave in Banjo-Kazooie, and then what? Pull the Banjo cart out of your still-powered console, before shoving DK64 into it? And what would happen then? Do you expect Donkey Kong 64 to load up in front of that specific lever? If anything would happen, the N64 would crash as soon as Banjo-Kazooie's RAM would read uncorrelated rubbish from DK64's cart.

Or how about if you turned off the N64 before inserting DK64. It still wouldn't load in front of that lever, that game would load as normal. But let's say you worked your way as far as that lever within the game. The RAM corresponding to when you were standing outside Wozza's Cave would be long gone by now, probably, so it's difficult to see what relevance it was supposed to have had in the first place. But anyway, just for posterity, what would happen if you kept going with the series of steps you've postulated. You pull that lever, and whatever address within the N64's memory that corresponds to that platform being set in motion gets assigned its new value. You either rip DK64 out, raw, or you power the N64 off before trying Banjo-Kazooie. Unfortunately, either it all crashes, or it has no effect upon Banjo-Kazooie, which does not load in front of Wozza's Cave, and has not had its initial RAM affected in any way.

So, er, it doesn't work, then, does it? The only way it could would be if after the switch was pulled, the N64's memory was altered in such a way that Banjo-Kazooie would initiate itself in front of Wozza's Cave (there is a warp point assigned to that exact location within that room, isn't there?), while still retaining the relevantly modified address values from DK64. That's probably not going to happen, really now.

I don't claim to understand how the memory allocation works either within a real or an emulated N64, but as far as I can tell, you just got an unlikely coincidence to occur. If this isn't fake, then it seems like you just happened to be lucky enough to change an address within the memory on flipping that lever, one which just so happened to correspond to the Ice Key collection address within BK?

I'd imagine that PJ64 just replaces its virtual RAM with whatever information the save state you load contains, which makes it very hard to understand why any memory values you change within DK64 before loading would have any impact upon what happens when you load the snapshot of BK's RAM. Surely the only difference is that as soon as this newly-loaded psuedo-Banjo-Kazooie tries to load any new data, it'll receive a load of gibberish from the DK64 ROM and lock up accordingly? I could be wrong, now, but it seems like a logical enough sort of an assumption to make. And as other people have pointed out plenty of times, why would any of this affect the separate save file for Banjo-Kazooie, anyway?

And for feck's sake, no more Linkin Park, please.

Old 21st April 2008, 12:00 AM
Brash Breegull

Random Award 
Wow. Where have Ive been for the last few hours. I visited the site this morning and, nothing really new. I come back few hours later and Stop N Swop was "discovered". Good job ssj. This is rather interesting. Let's pick up those eggs now.

Old 21st April 2008, 12:11 AM
Glowbo

sheety music. nice vid, but crap music wrecks it.

Old 21st April 2008, 12:12 AM
Lord of Games

Total Awards: 2
Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
It's fake. Although I may have "contaminated" the results by having collected three of the eggs in my BK ROM, that doesn't do it any good because...

A. The Ice Key is still there. It's just turned to the side so it's harder to see. The video quality simply prevents you from noticing this.
B. Upon loading the state in the BK ROM, the Key still remains uncollected.
C. Modifying a save state CANNOT modify a save file for a different ROM.

I can upload the video, but this should be enough evidence without it.

Old 21st April 2008, 12:13 AM
Retired

Total Awards: 11
RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 Basic Forum Rules RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award 
I'm not buying it, ironically enough, because of CBM's arguments.

Old 21st April 2008, 12:14 AM
Best Rarely Active Member '11 - '12

Game On RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Yoshi View Post
It's fake. Although I may have "contaminated" the results by having collected three of the eggs in my BK ROM, that doesn't do it any good because...

A. The Ice Key is still there. It's just turned to the side so it's harder to see. The video quality simply prevents you from noticing this.
B. Upon loading the state in the BK ROM, the Key still remains uncollected.
C. Modifying a save state CANNOT modify a save file for a different ROM.

I can upload the video, but this should be enough evidence without it.
yeah, go ahead and upload the video so those people on Youtube will learn. People seem to still be believing it so all the evidence against it would help.

Old 21st April 2008, 12:17 AM
Brash Breegull

INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 6 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
ssj, come up and say it was a joke, or a fluke, or something, because when I tried it, It didn't work. I don't know why, but it didn't work.

Old 21st April 2008, 12:19 AM
Brash Breegull

RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award 
Right ive had enough of this. If you dont wanna believe me fine. I just cant believe youd expect me to make something like this up

Old 21st April 2008, 12:22 AM
Grunty's Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj View Post
Right ive had enough of this. If you dont wanna believe me fine. I just cant believe youd expect me to make something like this up
I really don't think he would take all the time and effort to make this up. Honestly I have to admit, so of you are being kind of jerkish about how badly you're trying to destroy this thing. It's one thing to try and disprove it, but another to just outright try and destroy it. I'm not saying I'm choosing a side one way or another, but seriously, back off a little.

Old 21st April 2008, 12:24 AM
Brash Breegull

RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award 
I can confirm that nothing happens when doing the same method. Its just for the ice key.

Old 21st April 2008, 12:36 AM
Favorite Departed Member ('13 - 14)

Total Awards: 3
Reminiscence RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
SSJ, I don't beleive you're making it up. I do, however, think you're over-exaggerating this and when I see it done with a console, then I will beleive it's Stop n' Swop.

Tags
glich, ice key, stop