Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 4th July 2010, 01:31 AM
Formerly Nintendo_Fan128

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazter Xero View Post
WHAT.

What IS DKC without Kremlings?

Later what, hmmm. New Super Mario without Koopas?
Super Mario Sunshine

Old 4th July 2010, 02:44 PM
Formerly I hate Cats

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
Retro said no Crocodiles, not no Kremlings. What is a DKC without Kremlings? Even Retro know this.

Old 4th July 2010, 08:48 PM
Clanker

INFECTED - B1K1 
Why would they say "there will be no crocodiles" if the Kremlings will make a comeback? The only enemies resembling crocodiles as far as I can remember are the Kremlings. It's obvious that they are referring to the Kremlings.

Old 4th July 2010, 10:05 PM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakitu View Post
Why would they say "there will be no crocodiles" if the Kremlings will make a comeback? The only enemies resembling crocodiles as far as I can remember are the Kremlings. It's obvious that they are referring to the Kremlings.
Sadly, I agree. I'm starting to get used to the idea of Tikimen, though...

Old 5th July 2010, 01:51 AM
Mercury Star Power, Make Up~!

Total Awards: 10
Awesome Default Medal You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Game On 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo_Fan128 View Post
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Sunshine had Koopas- two different variants of Electro-Koopas in Pinna Park.

Old 5th July 2010, 02:25 AM
Von Kriplespac

You're Appreciated! 
Bowser is a Koopa.

Old 5th July 2010, 10:58 AM
Clanker

INFECTED - B1K1 
I think it's kinda cool they're trying a new approach to the badguys. It's really nothing to complain about.

Far too many franchises get stuck on using the same villian over again. How many are tired of Bowser always kidnapping Peach? How many have started to find it predictable that Ganon wants to grab the triforce in every forthcoming Zelda game? Even Grunty felt watered down and boring in N&B. I wouldn't want the same thing happening to good ol' K Rool. I think his appearance in DKC3 was sort of poor anywho, and I wouldn't want it to go any more downhill. Let's remember him as a great villian and not beat a dead horse. If anything, I could see him appearing as a secret final boss or something. That'd be great and it'd give him some status.

Either way, I think Retro is doing everything right so far.

Old 5th July 2010, 05:38 PM
Mr. Pants

Go

Will this game be the same without Rare? To be honest, i'm kind of skeptical of this game... the trailer however was FULL of Donkey win!
________
Video Review

Last edited by Starblazer; 10th May 2011 at 01:12 PM.

Old 5th July 2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwazin View Post
I think it's kinda cool they're trying a new approach to the badguys. It's really nothing to complain about.

Far too many franchises get stuck on using the same villian over again. How many are tired of Bowser always kidnapping Peach? How many have started to find it predictable that Ganon wants to grab the triforce in every forthcoming Zelda game? Even Grunty felt watered down and boring in N&B. I wouldn't want the same thing happening to good ol' K Rool. I think his appearance in DKC3 was sort of poor anywho, and I wouldn't want it to go any more downhill. Let's remember him as a great villian and not beat a dead horse. If anything, I could see him appearing as a secret final boss or something. That'd be great and it'd give him some status.

Either way, I think Retro is doing everything right so far.
His appearance in DKC3 wasn't poor, it was just a twist. The Kongs were in a distant land (the Northern Kremisphere), and we're led to believe that we're fighting a brand new bunch of Kremlings led by a new villain, Kaos. Notice that while the same Kremlings menace the Kongs in DKC and DKC2, the ones here are all newbies. That's why it's kind of a cool surprise to see K. Rool behind the curtain at the end. Not that it was very surprising.

My problem with the Tikis is that they aren't alien enough. In the original DKC trilogy, the Kremlings were great as baddies because they were so different from the Kongs; their technology, attitude, and way of life was totally different from what our heroes knew. The Tikis so far look very laid-back and unmotivated, and they have a jungle theme--so why aren't they and the Kongs friends, again?

Oh, and I hope K. Rool comes back at some point, even if it's not in this next game.

Old 5th July 2010, 08:09 PM
Lord of Games

Total Awards: 2
Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticMario View Post
Will this game be the same without Rare? To be honest, i'm kind of skeptical of this game... the trailer however was FULL of Donkey win!
It's being made by Retro Studios. I have great faith in them.

Old 5th July 2010, 09:07 PM
Clanker

INFECTED - B1K1 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
His appearance in DKC3 wasn't poor, it was just a twist. The Kongs were in a distant land (the Northern Kremisphere), and we're led to believe that we're fighting a brand new bunch of Kremlings led by a new villain, Kaos. Notice that while the same Kremlings menace the Kongs in DKC and DKC2, the ones here are all newbies. That's why it's kind of a cool surprise to see K. Rool behind the curtain at the end. Not that it was very surprising.

My problem with the Tikis is that they aren't alien enough. In the original DKC trilogy, the Kremlings were great as baddies because they were so different from the Kongs; their technology, attitude, and way of life was totally different from what our heroes knew. The Tikis so far look very laid-back and unmotivated, and they have a jungle theme--so why aren't they and the Kongs friends, again?

Oh, and I hope K. Rool comes back at some point, even if it's not in this next game.
Oh I'm all for K Rool witha twist. Let me put it this way: when I was a kid DKC3 was the first DKC game I played, and long story short despite the involved nostalgia-factor, Dr. K-roolenstein didn't leave much of an impression of me. I get it, they re-use the same villian in different clothes and situations. Sometimes he's a king, sometimes he's a pirate and other times he's a mad scientist. It's just that when playing DKC and DKC2 I was blown away by K Rool because he was this big baddie with a cape and a crown. Sometimes a pirate hat!

I dunno what it was about his style in the first two games, but they made him much more bombastic and menacing. I thought he was so intimidating in DK64 up until the boxing ring, then it just went back to silly, kind of like the mad scientist in DKC3. It's not that I hate it, it's just not my cup of tea. I thought the scientist-look made K Rool seem weak and goofy when I wanted him to be this badass king. Now when they're putting out a new game, I'd rather have K Rool be this spoken-of former villian that everyone fears rather than a crocodile in another cheap costume. Hence I think it's great to use new villians rather than beating an old gag that wasn't really funny.

Also, I think it's quite respectful of Retro to not use the Kremlings seeing as they were sort of Rare's thing. Take a look at the cutscenes with the kremlings in DK64. That's so Rare. It's that personal touch of character that Rare gave to the games, and rather than trying to copy that personality Retro has added their own style and personality to their own villians in the form of the Tikis. Again, kudos Retro.

Last edited by Qwazin; 5th July 2010 at 09:09 PM.

Old 5th July 2010, 09:19 PM
Mr. Pants

Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Yoshi View Post
It's being made by Retro Studios. I have great faith in them.
Who are they? Are they good developers? (don't attack me for this XD)
________
Jailbroken

Last edited by Starblazer; 10th May 2011 at 01:16 PM.

Old 5th July 2010, 09:30 PM
Mr. Pants

Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebecj View Post
They made the Metroid Prime games.
*shock and disbelief* Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmnnn.

Well then, excuse me while I go change my pants and contemplate my life...
________
Petite Webcams

Last edited by Starblazer; 10th May 2011 at 01:17 PM.

Old 9th July 2010, 10:43 PM

Dunno if this has been posted yet, but here's the most in-depth interview about the game I found.

Confirmed: there are no underwater stages because they "break up the pace" of the game.

Old 9th July 2010, 10:59 PM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
Dunno if this has been posted yet, but here's the most in-depth interview about the game I found.

Confirmed: there are no underwater stages because they "break up the pace" of the game.
Scroll down. I showed you that.

Last edited by Solid Snix; 9th July 2010 at 11:02 PM.

User Tag List