Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 1st August 2010, 09:24 PM
Glowbo

Will Kinect fail?

I'm starting to question whether Kinect will show any success at all. After all, most system upgrades, like the Sega CD and Nintendo 64 DD, ultimately prove to be failures in general. In addition to this, I doubt that casual gamers are going to shell out extra money to buy both an Xbox 360 and Kinect when many of them already have a Wii.

(Hopefully this means Rare won't continue focusing on the casual crowd and instead make so-called "hardcore" games once again.)

... What do you think will ultimately happen with Kinect?

EDIT: Mods, please move this to the "Xbox General Discussion" thread, please. I didn't mean to post it here.

Old 1st August 2010, 09:31 PM
Mr. Pants

Go

YES. DEFINETELY. THE KINECT WILL FAIL.

And here's why. Say, i'm an ordinary person/ X360 owner and I hear about the Kinect for the first time. I ask the store clerk, "What is the Kinect?" Then he explains what it is. "How much does it cost?" The clerk says, "$150." The ordinary person, obviously being an ordinary spender, is repelled by the Kinect's price. Or, if someone actually buys the Kinect, and their body shape/mass does not meet certain "requirements" of the Kinect's software, malfunctions and adverse affects may occur. Can't really go into great details there...
________
HOT BOX VAPORIZERS

Last edited by Starblazer; 10th May 2011 at 02:23 PM.

Old 1st August 2010, 09:35 PM
Grunty's Reject

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B2K1 Chatterbox 
Yes, just like NAB

Old 1st August 2010, 09:50 PM
Mingy Jonjo

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Unfortunately Kinect will not fail.

Old 1st August 2010, 10:03 PM
Most Creative Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 8
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Reminiscence Rarity 
As much as I'd like it to, I doubt it will, especially if they make a Kinect Halo.*shudders*

Old 1st August 2010, 10:12 PM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 7
You're Appreciated! Imagination Game On Reminiscence Chatterbox 
Yes, but the only game that will be good is Child of Eden.

Blep!!

Old 1st August 2010, 10:25 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Rarity RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
Kinect won't fail. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either stupid or just thinking wishfully. Also, this thread doesn't belong in New Rareware. Rare didn't make it.

Old 1st August 2010, 10:40 PM
Mecha-Grunty

INFECTED - B1K1 
I would like to make it known that there will be a bundle that's $300 which will have Kinect Sports, Kinect, and a 4GB internal hard drive Xbox 360. Thats a bundle worth $400 folks.

Old 2nd August 2010, 02:16 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 10
You're Appreciated! Bashful Imagination Game On Reminiscence 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperace27 View Post
I would like to make it known that there will be a bundle that's $300 which will have Kinect Sports, Kinect, and a 4GB internal hard drive Xbox 360. Thats a bundle worth $400 folks.
4GB? It better also use external hardrives. I see Kinetic being succesful. It's somthing diffrent unlike Move which is Wiimotes with balls.

Old 2nd August 2010, 02:19 AM
Previously SuperNintendo64

Chatterbox 
What? Kinect won't fail. It doesn't matter anyway because we're all gonna die in 2012.

?enoyna msacraS

Old 2nd August 2010, 02:26 AM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Total Awards: 13
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter SteamLink Verified Awesome Default Medal RWP Podcast 
If they pull off crazy shit like Kinect COD games that are fun to play and other games that are actually good, then Kinect will succeed and everyone will get it.

If they only put out casual party games that try to rip off Wii Sports Resort then it will fail and Rare will either go bankrupt and stop making games, or they will try something else.

Old 2nd August 2010, 02:45 AM

Chatterbox 
Basically, they are copying Sony's eye toy, which wasn't that successful. Sony's Move is copying the Wii, which is very successful. It sickens me how Sony and Microsoft just blatantly copy other company's ideas. Nintendo is the only one with original ideas here. It's also sad how Rare is playing along with Kinect as well (Whether they had a choice, idk). I just don't understand how these companies can ride each other's coat tails and get away with it. I can't wait until the next generation of consoles. Hopefully by then we'll be done with this whole "casual gaming" phase. It's sad to see moms take away video games from us. I mean COME ON.

Old 2nd August 2010, 02:57 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Nintendo also came up with the whole "controller" thing. Besides that, to compare the Eye Toy to Kinect isn't very accurate. It's a lot more accurate and has more application chances than the Eye Toy which is nothing but a camera while the Kinect has infrared sensors and can judge actual distance to the camera rather than just left and right movement. Besides, Microsoft copied the Eye Toy ages ago.

Meanwhile, the Move is like the Wii, but has the camera and can track movement ages better and has a considerably greater number of buttons and can be applied to more kinds of games without having tons of additions like the Wii.

Each "copy" is really taking the idea and improving on it to help apply it better to the market they're going for. Microsoft is using a "better" Eye Toy to get the non-gamers who can't really grasp the concept of a controller while Sony is using a "better" Wii-mote to get hardcore gamers that dislike the Wii because of it's lack of applications for them while at the same time trying to get casual gamers to be more hardcore.

Also, I'd like to say I don't want the Kinect (but I am eyeing the Move). I'm just trying to let you know you were wrong in a couple of places.

Old 2nd August 2010, 03:03 AM

Chatterbox 
I find it very ironic that Microsoft and Sony are adding Wii-like peripherals to their consoles, when PS3 and Xbox users often criticize the Wii.

Old 2nd August 2010, 03:06 AM
Rare Witch Hero

The add-ons are actually something like "we can do the Wii one better". This isn't an attempt to copy the Wii. It's an attempt to 1-up it (no pun intended).

User Tag List