Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 28th December 2011, 01:56 PM
Formerly Nintendo_Fan128

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Swapnote

Just downloaded it, wasn't expecting much, but it's even worse than I thought. It's basically still impossible to call a friend to play something... you're not notified of new messages and have to close the game to read them. Also, there's no virtual keyboard.

So, what do you think of this new 3DS app?

Old 28th December 2011, 02:02 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 15
Mystery Four Mystery Three Mystery Two Mystery One INFECTED - B2K1 
I think it's awesome. And you, mr. Nintendo Fan128, are the prime example of a spoiled kid. A person that would cry over receiving a Christmas Present from their parents because 'it is no iPhone'.

The 3DS wasn't designed as a social community, it was designed to play games. It just that. Swapnote does what it's supposed to do; it let's you swap notes. It's not meant to be Skype or Messenger. It's meant to be Swapnote, and does a good job at that.

The only thing I do agree on is the lack of notification. And not because it's just not there, but only because it appears to be really inconsistent. Sometimes it notifies of new messages, sometimes it doesn't. Either have the thing always notify you of something happening or have that never happen.

[/slight_irritation]
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 28th December 2011, 02:10 PM
Formerly Nintendo_Fan128

INFECTED - B1K1 
Firstly, who do you think you are to go calling me a "spoiled kid"? What do you know about my life? The way I am? The things I do? I demand a little respect, as I did nothing to offend you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smouvy View Post

The 3DS wasn't designed as a social community, it was designed to play games. It just that. Swapnote does what it's supposed to do; it let's you swap notes. It's not meant to be Skype or Messenger. It's meant to be Swapnote, and does a good job at that.
Well, it's nice for simple communication, I'll give you that. But other video game platforms (also designed to play games) have better services similar to swapnote (in the sense of sending and receiving e-mail-like messages) and better communication overall; without having to leave your game to talk; voice communication support is a must as well.

I like how you can attach photos and make drawings, though. That's a plus.

Old 28th December 2011, 02:17 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 15
Mystery Four Mystery Three Mystery Two Mystery One INFECTED - B2K1 
Just because other gaming consoles have functions like those, doesn't mean that all other gaming devices have to follow them. "Voice communication support is a must"? Since when? I don't recall myself ever being unable to enjoy a gaming console because it lacked a build-in skype. Voice communication is additional luxury. Being able to play games is a must. Considering the scope of the handheld; being able to see 3D images is also a must to the system.

Those are the only two things that the system must offer. Everything else is supplementary; adding to the experience. You talk as if it's modern day standard to offer perfect communication with people without having to suspend your game. Last I checked, I didn't find myself unable to set up a match with a Friend on Mario Kart 7 because I lacked the ability to talk to said person.

And I might be a bit on edge at the moment, sure, but that does not mean my points are less valid.

Edit: Please do excuse my rudeness. Tough day at the job.
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Last edited by Smouvy; 28th December 2011 at 02:27 PM.

Old 28th December 2011, 04:15 PM
Formerly Nintendo_Fan128

INFECTED - B1K1 
Well, sure, all of those things aren't really necessary to play. But it just seems like Nintendo is stuck in time and many nice games and services they offer could've been better. They aren't just because Nintendo doesn't want them to be.

Imagine if there was a game company who refused to use modern graphics and only made games that look like Atari. Are the games fun? Yeah, they are. But it'd be better if they actually cared about making something on par with the times. (I'm not talking about throwbacks like Megaman 9 and 10, though. These were made to feel retro in the first place)

Also, I take back what I said about voice chat, because now that I think about it, it wouldn't work for a handheld

Old 28th December 2011, 06:57 PM
Humba Wumba

INFECTED - B1K1 
I like it. It's a nice little messaging app. But I think eventually they'll release a standard e-mail function or maybe an IM type software. And I think the 3DS would be perfect for Skype, with it's inward-facing camera.

User Tag List