Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 21st February 2021, 04:34 AM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Dinosaur Planet prototype dumped

How is there not a thread about this yet?

It looks like this version is a little bit after Nintendo stepped in for the Star Fox rebrand. Sabre is using a Fox model and is referred to as Fox in some cutscenes, but most of the game including the UI still says Sabre. I just got back from work so I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet, but it looks like it'll work better on console than emulators. I'm gonna get some recordings of it running on console soon.
I'm not sure if linking a twitter post counts against our sharing roms rule, but feel free to delete the link if it does.

Last edited by AndyNPC; 21st February 2021 at 07:27 AM.

Old 21st February 2021, 06:41 AM
Von Kriplespac

I recorded my first impressions here. No commentary, but a bunch of aimless bumbling as I poke and prod at any glitchy element I can find. I never played Star Fox Adventures, so I'm not sure how close this is to that game. The game picked a good stopping point for me. And yes, I didn't realize that was gameplay and not part of the cutscene at the beginning there.

Last edited by AndyNPC; 21st February 2021 at 06:44 AM.

Old 21st February 2021, 04:33 PM
Fired

You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
Excellent... Excellent.

Reject modernity, return to dino.

Spoiler: (highlight to view)
No but seriously this is incredible news.

Old 22nd February 2021, 02:49 AM
Formerly Chilli

Total Awards: 8
Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
I'm up to the bit where the guy is screaming help me in the snow guarded by a fat lizard, and then you crawl through a hole into the warp rock area and try to find 10 white mushrooms, but I went down a tree and I think I have 7 but there's no more... And then I climbed out and fell out of bounds and it crashed whoops. I thought there would be some in the maze bit with the poison fire shrooms and an infinitely respawning dinoman, but didn't find any there. Fox's map is half off screen which doesn't help. (About an hour and a half in, says 2% complete).

Playing on PJ64, there's a ton of "cant walk any further cause invisible wall" bits, as well as anything I'm guessing with interact-ability, like Tricky's dig patches, are just straight up white. Made a lot of guesses of "will I fall through the floor here cause its white, or is it just missing textures..." moments

Last edited by DementedSun; 22nd February 2021 at 04:13 AM.

Old 22nd February 2021, 04:17 AM
Von Kriplespac

The white mushroom quest only requires 1 mushroom. I'm assuming this is a dev shortcut or perhaps it's just bugged. I've only been able to find 9 myself. You'll find that there's a lot of crashes and broken logic from this point on. You can bring the queen a single mushroom which will move some of those sleeping dinos allowing you to reach the swapstone and get back to Krystal. I'm not too familiar with SFA so I'm kind of just aimlessly wandering myself. I've been able to find a funny log ride which leads to a cave that crashes the game and is most likely barring progress. Supposedly there's a way to reach a room rigged with a gas trap, which also causes the game to crash half the time. I've heard that by using moonjump to skip past some things that crash, it's possible to reach a disguise spell as Krystal which is needed to progress the game as Fox.

Old 22nd February 2021, 07:22 AM
Von Kriplespac

When you get back to Krystal you can ride the log out of bounds by following this route. Mash A to get past the first barrier near the right wall, then the rest of the way is simple. Unfortunately you can only get off the log at certain defined spots, so we can't get out and explore some of these land areas. I don't think they've properly loaded by reaching them this way anyways.

If you keep going past where I got stuck in gay baby jail you can find a beach with the princess flying around. You can command her, but it doesn't seem like it's possible to bring her back to the playable area. She'll be gone if you save and load, so you can't smuggle her out that way. It's surprising how much stuff is here out of bounds. I could tell from before that most of the game world is connected, but I didn't expect to be able to load chunks of it when accessed this way.

Old 22nd February 2021, 01:19 PM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
what I find interesting is this is a build of the game we haven't seen yet. I believe it's generally assumed the switch to fox was made during the jump to Gamecube, but it seems that actually happened at the ass-end of the N64 build's development. This rom is dated December, 2000. The game was released in 2002, and I imagine they needed a year at least to finish up the title and go back in to add Star Fox. Has anyone happened to read anything regarding when the console switch happened?

Last edited by Solid Snix; 22nd February 2021 at 01:27 PM.

Old 23rd February 2021, 01:12 PM
Bunnycomb

RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Wow. It really looks like the original IP would have gone down as one of the best of the N64. Instead it went out forgotten on the GameCube. Shame that they had to rebrand and reshape it. I'm glad it finally leaked, but it makes me miss Rare all the more.

I'd like to see an altered version that replaces Fox with Sabre and restores as much as possible, since it seems they had barely integrated Fox at all at this point.

Old 23rd February 2021, 03:54 PM
Formerly Chilli

Total Awards: 8
Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
Yeah, it will be really nice if people work on modding this back into a fully playable/finishable game without all the graphical bugs. It's been years since I've played the actual game so I'm not sure how much is similar, but it certainly feels like a lot.

Tricky barking like a dog sometimes makes me uncomfortable.

Old 24th February 2021, 06:13 AM
Jinjo

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Anyone hacking any Gameshark codes?

What I want to see is:
Area Modifier
Moonjump
Character Modifier
Always have disguise activated (play as Sabre)

Old 24th February 2021, 06:18 AM
a banana peel

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! RWP Podcast Rarity Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
Nope, feel free to get that ball rolling!

Old 24th February 2021, 04:15 PM
Mercury Star Power, Make Up~!

Total Awards: 10
Awesome Default Medal You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Game On 
Timber the Tiger from Diddy Kong Racing was supposed to be lead at one point, says Kevin Bayliss

Old 25th February 2021, 07:32 AM
Jinjo

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Well, I have hacked some codes.

Infinite Health: 805C3965 000C
Infinite Magic: 805C3969 0019
Infinite Scarabs: 805C396D 00FF
Have some spells, including Disguise: 805C4DBE 00FF
Character Mod: 805C3C5B 000? (0 = Fox/Sabre, 1 = Krystal)
Where does the SwapStone take you?: 805C3C5B 00??

Old 25th February 2021, 10:23 AM
Missing Hero

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
First leak of Goldeneye XBLA, then truth about DK64's SNS and now N64 Dinosaur Planet. What an awesome time for Rare fans. What's next? Conker 64 Twelve Tales ROM?

December 2000 build can be the last build on N64 before switching development to GameCube.

Old 5th March 2021, 04:07 PM
Jolly Rodger

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 7 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoPL View Post
First leak of Goldeneye XBLA, then truth about DK64's SNS and now N64 Dinosaur Planet. What an awesome time for Rare fans. What's next? Conker 64 Twelve Tales ROM?
Alpha build of Banjo-Threeie or Project Dream.

fingers crossed.

User Tag List