Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 22nd February 2012, 11:39 PM
McLovin

Total Awards: 3
INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal Random Award 
You're right, that was a bug leftover from switching to the new .ini file. Redownload and try again, I tested it successfully importing now in newest version.

Old 23rd February 2012, 02:16 AM
Bunnycomb

Yep, it works perfectly now, thanks!

I'm not too sure how to go about changing the instruments... changing the channel and/or patch number seems to have no effect upon the instrument that plays, at least with the combinations I tried. It's confusing! What would I need to modify to get the game to load a different in-game instrument for a given MIDI channel?

Old 23rd February 2012, 11:14 PM
McLovin

You have to change instruments in your midi to affect which ones it uses. I'm guessing if you use n64 sound tool you can rip instruments in order to see which is which.

Old 29th February 2012, 01:46 AM
Bunnycomb

Sorry to bother you again, but I'm having some trouble importing MIDIs into Banjo-Tooie. When I import a MIDI into a slot, the tempo changes to a different, much faster value, and the channels' notes can become corrupted... in one case, the first channel's notes were displaced so that they came in 13 minutes later than they're supposed to.

I've attached two MIDIs - the MIDI I imported, and a MIDI extracted from that spot post-import. The extracted MIDI won't open in WMP for some reason, but can be opened in FLStudio. The spot's track has the same problems when listened to in-game.

Also, I don't think Honey B.'s Hive is in the list of Banjo-Tooie's spots. I tried exporting all the tracks as MIDIs, and I individually opened and checked each one (including the ones which WMP couldn't play) in FLStudio, but couldn't find it. I was hoping to use it to figure out which patch number the bee singing sound is associated with, and as a way of recording the ambient buzzing noise.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bt_midi_problems.zip (2.9 KB, 5 views)

Old 29th February 2012, 05:28 AM
McLovin

Ah yes, I forgot to take all the fixes I made for BT/GE's format into the BT one. Can you try the latest I posted...I must admit it's crashing for me, but when it plays the midi it sounds fine...so it's very confusing. Maybe it's an emu setting I hope.

I also updated the list of midis, so it should have all the missing ones (there were a lot).

Old 29th February 2012, 08:10 PM
Bunnycomb

Thanks so much, the tempo works correctly now! The game crashes if I import the MIDI with both of its instruments, but works fine if I import the MIDI with only one of the instruments active... not sure why that happens, but at least they work individually.

I can't find any of the missing tracks you added to the list, though... it seems to be the same list of tracks as before.

EDIT: Oh, and also, I can't get pitch bends to work in Banjo-Tooie. The method I'm using in the previously attached MIDI works correctly when imported into Banjo-Kazooie, but in 'Tooie they tend to have no noticeable effect, or cause the game to get stuck on a black screen as the relevant area begins to load. Could that be an unavoidable quirk in 'Tooie's engine, or do you think it might be some small problem in the importing process? I think the theremin in Witchyworld has some glissando bending, so it should still be possible, somehow.

Last edited by Banjo-Fella; 29th February 2012 at 09:14 PM.

Old 29th February 2012, 09:02 PM
McLovin

Try now, put in wrong file. It was crashing for me but I couldn't figure out why, it must be a limitation in BT, one instrument per track?

Old 30th April 2012, 06:30 AM
Glowbo

I noticed your project and was hoping it had support for Battletanx 2:Global Assault because that was an important game I was hoping to get the songs from to remaster them using the timing from the MIDI stuff. Unfortunately it isn't one of the games so would that be because it doesn't use MIDI or something? When I selected Battletanx as the game type it seemed to identify the songs but it wont play them due to a corrupt mid file. Are you planning on adding that as one of the games? If not what and where would I need to research to add that as one of the games to the list.

Old 30th April 2012, 03:58 PM
Jinjo

BXGA doesn't use midi. Did a dump of all the files to assemble the filelist and nope, no midi among them. Internally it is completely different from the original, and there are no checks to test if a ROM matches expected. So, if you select the wrong game for your ROM you will either get invalid midis or a nice crash to desktop.

However, if you use the other sound tool and peek through the second sound bank there's a lot of guitar riffs, especially near the end of it. Current guess is that it uses a version of something we've seen in other games (but haven't supported yet) where it uses small samples of sound and through repeats and switches generates the music. I guess the best similarity would be a tracker format.

Another option would be to use a usf and fit against that.

Old 1st May 2012, 02:40 AM
Glowbo

Yeah they tend to reuse little snippets all through the game from sounds to texture cells. I took apart the textures in the game and they have it in sprite sheet cell setup where they use little sections of a texture on multiple tanks. It would be nice to get access to the raw sounds to be able to remaster them but I guess I have to do it by ear.

Old 30th August 2012, 09:19 PM
Glowbo

Aw Jeez

I haven't really used this program in a while, but for some odd reason NOW it says "The ordinal 10284 could not be located in the dynamic link library mfc90.dll." What do I do? It's just another one of those days.

Old 30th August 2012, 10:56 PM
McLovin

You're probably missing VS redistr:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Old 8th November 2012, 01:46 AM
Glowbo

This tool is fantastic. It works perfectly for me. I feel like asking... do you think you could add Super Mario 64 and/or Mario Kart 64? They use the same sequence format, the sequence bank for SM64 starts at 0x7B0860, and the sequence bank for MK64 starts at 0xBC5F60.

Edit: Wait, it looks like every game you've added has the same sequence format... Well, that makes these games too much of a hassle...

Last edited by cpuHacka101; 8th November 2012 at 02:51 AM.

Old 8th November 2012, 03:47 AM
McLovin

I thought about it, and drew up plans once. However, I left it to the Mario/Zelda community, since they already have tools to import the MML, they hopefully will be ones to export the MML to midi. It's not insanely hard, but it is a little tricky, I did think how to do it at one point, and had a way forward but it was tricky.

Old 8th November 2012, 04:41 AM
Glowbo

Messiaen made an XML importer, although it isn't that good due to the fact that many notes repeat... In fact, messiaen came back after 5 months of being inactive and told me that someone else should make a midi importer for SM64 because his XML importer was "inadequate." I have the source code for it if that is any use.

User Tag List