Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 19th May 2008, 03:16 AM

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
It's good. Would Twelve Tales be better? Yes. Yes it would have.

Old 25th May 2008, 03:37 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueytheWalrus View Post
It's good. Would Twelve Tales be better? Yes. Yes it would have.
I doubt that. For the most part, the footage shows some really boring and uninspired levels and gameplay. The coolest part is when Conker is balancing on a barrel, which was reused in BFD. Honestly, it looks to be on the same level as Bubsy 3D.

Last edited by Ubersuntzu; 25th May 2008 at 03:37 AM. Reason: punctuation

Old 25th May 2008, 04:02 AM

INFECTED - B1K1 
I'm sorry, but 4 humongous worlds, 7 vehicles, and the ability to play as both Conker and Berri would have been amazing! Even better than BFD in my opinion. Even though BFD was fun.

Old 25th May 2008, 04:34 AM
Most Intelligent Member ('08 - '09)

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubersuntzu View Post
I doubt that. For the most part, the footage shows some really boring and uninspired levels and gameplay. The coolest part is when Conker is balancing on a barrel, which was reused in BFD. Honestly, it looks to be on the same level as Bubsy 3D.
I agree, Bad Fur Day was great, it was new material and it wasnt the same reused cutesy platforming stuff that so many of rare's other games did.

BFD is great just the way it is, and if twelve tales was any good what so ever, it wouldn't of been trashed and rebuilt.

Old 26th May 2008, 10:59 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
I'm sorry, but 4 humongous worlds, 7 vehicles, and the ability to play as both Conker and Berri would have been amazing! Even better than BFD in my opinion. Even though BFD was fun.
1. We already had 7 worlds in CFD (Windy the Hub World, Barn World, Tower World, Poop World, Cave World, Spooky World, and War World. It's just that unlike Banjo, they were broken up into smaller levels instead of 1 big map for each one.

2. We're getting much better vehicles in Nuts & Bolts.

3. Berri would have been cool (either version), but she's hardly a deal breaker for me. She probably would have played nearly identically to Conker anyway, who himself looked he played like Banjo with no Kazooie.

Anyway, while I'm sure I would have played and enjoyed TT, for me personally, it just doesn't seem like it had much to offer that couldn't be done with the Banjo games. Whereas Conker's BFD works really well as a unique franchise.

Old 30th May 2008, 02:13 PM
Dingpot

Random Award 
Quote:
Also, Timber 64 was started for like a month, then they got bored with it. Bumper and Pipsy were supposed to be supporting characters too.
Infact here's an article from the Super Mario Wiki.

Hmm, it says barely any pictures...is Rare hiding something from us?

http://www.mariowiki.com/Timber_64
When I end up working for Rare (and believe me, I will ), I'm forcing them to start this game again for whatever Microsoft console is out

Old 28th June 2008, 05:21 AM
Glowbo

Don't mean to beat a dead horse or anything, but I found this thread while searching for info on a leaked final beta of the original Conker 64. I myself have searched and searched and searched, starting quite a while ago, but today I randomly started up again after a few month break.

As far as Rare being tight-lipped goes...let's just say I emailed the lead software engineer of the Dinosaur Planet project, and that it didn't go over too well Nick Burton certainly did not feel like talking.

What I know is that Chris Seavor led up this project and that he's said next to nothing about it, and the only reason anyone can come up with would be the speculation that Rare just didn't want another "kiddie" platformer (which I think it correct, even though I still would've loved TT over CBFD).

Does anyone think it at all possible that we could contact him? I've tried looking him up before, but to no avail. Still, there's gotta be SOME way to get a hold of him. Maybe we could see what the chances are of getting some play time on this baby.

Old 28th June 2008, 02:01 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 4
RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 6 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
You can always try Rare's Scribes, just say the name of who you want to talk to so that LoveDay (scribes) can hopefully get in contact with them. Now thats assuming your message makes it through.

Last edited by DeLMrcs; 28th June 2008 at 11:56 PM.

Old 28th June 2008, 05:25 PM

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNHornets View Post
When I end up working for Rare (and believe me, I will ), I'm forcing them to start this game again for whatever Microsoft console is out
Oh dont be so sure.

Quote:
Rare just didn't want another "kiddie" platformer
Then why did they start on it? And why did they continue til it was certainly 80-90% done? And why did they make it so kickass? This is the only time that Rare was stupid in their history.

Old 28th June 2008, 07:16 PM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
This game would have been awesome. I actually did quite a bit of searching on this game a couple months ago, and actually read the Nintendo Power previews on it. Also, whoever said that CFBD had the worlds split up into smaller sections, think about this.

It's called "Twelve Tales" because there are 3 Tales(Sections) for each world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber
2. We're getting much better vehicles in Nuts & Bolts.
I'm sorry but you can't compare BK N&B to a game that is around 10 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber
3. Berri would have been cool (either version), but she's hardly a deal breaker for me. She probably would have played nearly identically to Conker anyway, who himself looked he played like Banjo with no Kazooie.
Conker's gameplay would have been more "arcade" style, whereas Berris would have been more strategy based.

Old 29th June 2008, 12:41 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Then why did they start on it? And why did they continue til it was certainly 80-90% done? And why did they make it so kickass? This is the only time that Rare was stupid in their history.
I know it doesn't make any sense. That's why no one understands. That's what everyone wants to know.

Old 29th June 2008, 03:09 AM
Most Intelligent Member ('08 - '09)

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Think to what Rare recently said about bk3, the game was technically two different banjo kazooie games before it became nuts and bolts, both of which were far along before the concept was canned.

Sometimes really really bad games get pushed and pushed and eventually get close to finished before people realize the game isn't great.

Overhauling Conker is just like how they overhauled banjo, and Rare was not stupid for that, they knew the game wasn't worth being released so they canned it.

Nobody here can say the game would of been great, but we can know for a fact it was trash because otherwise they wouldn't of thrown it out.

Old 29th June 2008, 03:28 AM
Glowbo

That's like saying Santa Claus must be real because my parents say he is.

I think it's quite possible that the game sucked, but to me, this wasn't Rare's only mistake. Both Conker and Dinosaur Planet/SF Adventures were failures in my opinion, though they could've been great (and this is coming from a HUGE SF fan ).

Old 29th June 2008, 03:50 AM
Dingpot

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell View Post
Does anyone think it at all possible that we could contact him? I've tried looking him up before, but to no avail. Still, there's gotta be SOME way to get a hold of him. Maybe we could see what the chances are of getting some play time on this baby.
Hate to crush your dreams, but you have a better chance of playing Conker 2: Getting Medieval on your 360 this summer than playing Conker Twelve Tales; the only way we'd get to play it is if an employee releases the ROM online. (I'm in the same boat as you: I keep dreaming that Rare will release the N64 Project Dream ROM, or at least a video, online, so I could see how the Banjo Team would've made an awesome Action-Adventure game. *sigh*) Also, Seavor hates the Conker franchise and wants nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell View Post
As far as Rare being tight-lipped goes...let's just say I emailed the lead software engineer of the Dinosaur Planet project, and that it didn't go over too well Nick Burton certainly did not feel like talking.
I'm sorry, and I know it's rude of me, but what did his reply say? For some reason, whenever I read that post, I keep imagining that reply from Nick Burton being a virtual Howler!

Last edited by Loser Conker; 29th June 2008 at 03:53 AM.

Old 29th June 2008, 08:23 PM
Glowbo

Heck, I don't mind sharing the email with you This is his reply right here, from January 22 of this year:

Quote:
I’m sorry Elliot I cannot discuss this with you as the details of the transition of DP into SFA are between Rare and Nintendo. You never know, in time we may decide to release information relating to this but when/if we do it will be our decision and not based on a request. Can I please ask where you got my contact details from?

Kind regards,

NickB.
Elliot's me (hence 'Ell'). After that I told him where I'd gotten his email (it was from some web archive from like 2002 or something), and he never replied back. He seemed pretty miffed that I was able to get his contact info and more so because I used it to ask about DP (what is it with Rare and this top secret crap, anyways?). Either way, it didn't go over well.

Quote:
Hate to crush your dreams, but you have a better chance of playing Conker 2: Getting Medieval on your 360 this summer than playing Conker Twelve Tales; the only way we'd get to play it is if an employee releases the ROM online. (I'm in the same boat as you: I keep dreaming that Rare will release the N64 Project Dream ROM, or at least a video, online, so I could see how the Banjo Team would've made an awesome Action-Adventure game. *sigh*) Also, Seavor hates the Conker franchise and wants nothing to do with it.
*sigh* I know, I know. It makes me sad TT__TT But I do wonder exactly WHY he hates the Conker franchise. Do you think that it's because he doesn't like how it turned out and maybe regrets changing it from Twelve Tales? Perhaps.

To me it's not necessarily about needing them to leak it RIGHT NOW (because it'll be years if it ever even happens, probably, what with my luck), it's just the need to know that it does indeed exist and that it's POSSIBLE that we'll see it. Hell, if Rare can make a DKR remake for DS now that they work for Microsoft, there's nothing that says they couldn't put TT on the DS (not that that would ever happen, but it's at least possible).

Tags
conker, conker 64, conker's quest, n64, nintendo 64, twelve tales

User Tag List