Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 17th May 2009, 03:33 AM
Glowbo

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Smile If YOU were in control

Let's pretend that you were in control of the DK series and everything in it. What would you do? It may be best just to make a list.

-Change K.Rool's design to Rare's (but with claws)

-Change Dixie's design to Rare's(minus Rare pin and a mouth more like the one you see in the Konga 3 artwork)

-Change Cranky's design to Rare's (And make him cranky again)

-Change Tiny's design to... Do I have to say it?

-Bring back Kiddy Kong

-Bring back Krusha

-Change new Klump's face to look like the Rare design, but maybe he could keep the bucket.

-Bring back Kreepy Krow

-Bring back S(w)anky for all minigames

-Make Rambi look a little more DKC-ish

-Bring back all the animal buddies (except for Winky, JB buddies, and that tadpole thing)

-Bring back Klaptraps

-Brings back various other enemies

-Change Klobber to Rare's design

-Bring back Chunky

-Bring back Gnawtys (Gnawties?)

-Make Candy look less like a wh*** (Maybe put a flower in her hair and give her slightly less skimpy clothes)

That's about it for characters. Now for actual game elements...

-Make the music more ambient, get a good composer, remix a bunch of older songs, etc.

-Make DK sound like he did in DK64 rather than Pedo-Scooby

-Make Diddy sound like... well, a monkey (Like in Brawl)

-Make K.Rool sound like he did in DK64 (something between the threatening and goofy voices)

-Get Cranky to sound like he did in the TV show (Almost the only decent voice)

-I'm pretty sure Klump HAS his cartoon voice actor now(The other good voice)

-Bring back a few pirate-ish themes to the Kremlings

-Give K.Rool a Gangplank Galleon II

-No more Kremling space ships. I can understand hovercrafts, airships and large jet-things, but gigantic space ships seem unreasonable

-Make the Kremlings use a variety of ships

-Use that Kremling skull Jolly Roger flag to represent the Kremling Krew

-Pay more attention to the ambience and atmosphere of the levels

-Have plenty of open space (if in 3D)

-Give plenty of secrets (if in 3D)

-Make sure every boss in every game has a name starting with "K" if possible

-Make sure K.Rool is ALWAYS the main villian and final boss

-Have a bunch of minecart levels

-Have an occasional bramble level

-Have controls fairly standard and not having all that much to do with shaking/pointing (only a very little bit, but they can be used for the minigames)

-Make sure K.Rool is cruel and vengeful, even against his own army

-Give K.Rool plenty of costumes, maybe a different one in each game

-Have saving/flying around free

-Have a 3D game where you play as DK, Diddy, and Dixie (maybe Kiddy)

-Have the Kremling's themed to whatever K.Rool currently thinks he is

That's all I can think of.

Last edited by Darth; 23rd May 2009 at 11:09 PM.

Old 17th May 2009, 05:39 AM
Grunty's Reject

INFECTED - B1K1 
I would make a new mainstream, open-world, 3D platformer.

It would only involve DK, Diddy, and a slightly revamped Chunky in art style as playable characters (and maybe Tiny on rare occasions, such as Mumbo Jumbo did in Banjo-Tooie, so you could use her shrinking skills to enter minuscule-themed locations), and the other characters would act as the supporting cast just as many characters did in Donkey Kong 64.

The supporting cast would have less collect-a-thon elements, and more event-based elements like missions and tasks (except Tiny, whose feature as a supporting cast member would be to become a playable character for certain situations in certain levels, again as Mumbo Jumbo did in Banjo-Tooie). Think of this portion of the game as Jak 2's missions.

The "collect-a-thon" portion of the game, acting as the general gameplay, is basically the same thing as the supporting cast missions, except for less game mechanic changes-well, the supporting cast missions wouldn't be as much about changing game mechanics, as much as level design changes-and more general platforming with creative environments to keep it interesting.

Old 17th May 2009, 06:07 PM
Clanker

INFECTED - B1K1 
It would include the 5 DK 64 Kongs every game especially Lanky.Make all games have over 100% possible.New DK Rap each game.

Old 17th May 2009, 08:49 PM
Lord of Games

Total Awards: 2
Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
I'd make a Donkey Kong Country 4, with the plot being that Anaking K. Roolwalker has kidnapped DK, Diddy, and Dixie. Kiddy and Tiny have to rescue them. It would, of course, have a sci-fi theme to it.

Old 17th May 2009, 11:23 PM
Grunty's Reject

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Yoshi View Post
I'd make a Donkey Kong Country 4, with the plot being that Anaking K. Roolwalker has kidnapped DK, Diddy, and Dixie. Kiddy and Tiny have to rescue them. It would, of course, have a sci-fi theme to it.
Of course.

Old 18th May 2009, 01:02 AM
Von Kriplespac

INFECTED - B1K1 
First thing's first, I'd make the game an actual platformer. None of this swinging from vines and playing bongos crap. I want a side-scrolling platformer in the vein of DKC. Story: King K. Rool, this time under the moniker "The Black Kuh-Night", has kidnapped Dixie, Tiny, Kiddie, Lanky, and Chunky. As the original duo, you must go through multiple medieval times-themed worlds. Like in DKC3, there are lots of Koins and Bonus Barrels you'll need to find in order to "fully" beat the game. And Cranky would be the 4th wall-breaking old curmudgeon he used to be!

Old 18th May 2009, 04:38 PM
Clanker

if i was in control? ... hmm id make give the kremlins a brain

Old 18th May 2009, 11:29 PM
Glowbo

INFECTED - B1K1 
If I WERE in control, the characters would look like so:

-Diddy

-Dixie

-Donkey

-Candy

-Cranky

-Wrinkly

-Tiny

-Lanky

-K. Rool

-Rambi

-Expresso

Last edited by Darth; 19th May 2009 at 07:27 PM.

Old 19th May 2009, 05:01 AM
Lord of Games

Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
So, uh, any chance of suggestions that don't involve the character designs?

Old 19th May 2009, 05:32 AM
Grunty's Reject

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
See my first post.

It had character design suggestions, but it also had suggestions that didn't involve character designs

Old 19th May 2009, 07:27 PM
Glowbo

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Did you happen to read the first post?

Old 19th May 2009, 10:35 PM
Grunty's Reject

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Or perhaps, any of the other posts involving suggestions?

Old 20th May 2009, 02:59 AM
Lord of Games

Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
I swear it wasn't that long before. My apologies.

Old 22nd May 2009, 07:05 PM
Jinjo

I'd make an actual game. DK has become shovelware, and it breaks my heart.

Old 23rd May 2009, 08:50 AM
Glowbo

Honestly I was just thinking about this.

Know what I wanna see? A new 2.5D Donkey Kong platformer! Look at it like this: Technology has progressed enough that we can now do Donkey Kong Country in realtime! So I say why not? We came pretty close with Jungle Beat and Paon just made the (utterly awesome and faithful) Klonoa remake! I say do it like that: 2.5D with winding paths that take advantage of the fact that the game is real-time now instead of prerendered sprites.

Going further we should have selectable characters, each with their own unique abilities. At the very least we need DK, Diddy, Dixie, and Tiny though I'd LOVE to see more (Heck! I'd support playable Cranky! XD).

Obviously this would be on Wii (yes the Wii can handle DKC in realtime. Again: Jungle Beat) and waggle control is a no-go so we'd use the sideways flipped Wiimote (and support all other controllers too) meaning we have 3 buttons essentially: 1, 2, and A though A is out of reach. As such, 2 would be jump, 1 would be a special ability, and A would be a less used special ability. Like so:

Donkey Kong
1) Barrel Grab/Throw (able to roll any barrel and use it as a weapon. Game would have more barrels than normal)
A) Shockwave Clap (from Jungle Beat)

(Alternately either could be replaced with a super strong chargeable punch that knocks enemies into other enemies)

Diddy
1) Tail Grab (able to use tail to grab vines and ledges out of reach as well as grab onto an enemy and kick them in the face. Think Bionic Commando.)
A) Rocket Pack (charges up for a moment giving your thumb a chance to return to the D-Pad and pick a direction)

Dixie
1) Hair Whip (can glide in the air as usual)
A) Hair Cyclone (pushes enemies away with a gust of wind)

Tiny
1) Hair Spin (allows her to hover when jumping and double jump from the hover, making her unique from Dixie)
A) Size/Age Change (SEE WHAT I DID THERE )
Teen Tiny
1) Kong-Fu (melee combo)
(also loses the ability to hover in mid-air but can now wall jump in a manner similar to Mega Man X)

XD Yeah, incase you couldn't tell I am quite fond of Tiny's new look but yeah it makes no sense not to mention I know how it feels when your favorite character gets an annoying redesign (see also: Richter post-Dracula X and the girl from Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver) but at the same time it's a bit late now as Tiny's new look has been in more games than her old one. So why not try to finally explain that discrepancy? Tiny was alot like Dixie but her big twist and namesake was the ability to shrink. So why not use that? We could go with the explanation of Tiny being the younger sister but actually being taller, but being shrunken down for all of DK64. Of course that leads to some irritating plot holes due to the fact that Tiny needed a potion to size change, but that's alot easier to retcon than anything else. Hopefully the wacky size change ability idea would not only give Tiny more of her own identity and explain the sudden design change, but HOPEFULLY would please both fanbases (which it probably won't and I'm going to be flamed like crazy BUT IT WAS WORTH A SHOT! ).

Of course this DOES lead to stages that would be easier with certain Kongs and harder with others as you could use any Kong in any stage. Of course there would be special areas only certain Kongs can get to, of course but we could also add in Challenge Stages that only allow you to use specific Kongs to clear them and make use of their unique abilities.

If we wanted to go the extra mile, a simplistic level editor would rock. Oh sure the levels would never be as flashy as the main ones, but you could still do alot, making your own levels and sharing them with friends. Not to mention with an easy to use level editor, it would be easy for developers to include a ridiculous amount of premade bonus stages in it (Super Challenge stages?). I know Nintendo is really overly cautious with their online system so a full fledged upload/download option is out of the question (though we should be able to save stages to SD Cards and trade them via computer says I!). But what they COULD do is let you submit levels and if they're approved they get added to a download list. A "Stage of the Day" sort of thing so that way you COULD download random unexpected stages and add to the longevity of the game.

Last edited by GEL; 23rd May 2009 at 08:54 AM.

Tags
diddy kong, donkey kong

User Tag List