Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 31st March 2020, 04:15 AM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
Donkey Kong General Discussion

I've come to the conclusion that Donkey Kong is my favorite video game character. Donkey Kong Country 2 on SNES has been my all-time favorite game since I was eight (although ironically, DK himself isn't playable in it). I recently played Tropical Freeze on Switch and couldn't get enough of it. It's my second time playing that game, or third if you count hard mode on Wii U.

When do you think we'll get a new DK game? We're about due for one. It's been six years since the last one, not counting ports, which if I'm not mistaken is the longest this franchise has ever been dormant. With Tropical Freeze on Switch selling so well and King K. Rool back with a vengeance in Smash Bros. Ultimate, there's gotta be something in store. What do you guys want to see?

Discuss accessory-wearing cartoon apes here. Here's a little something to set the mood:

Old 31st March 2020, 06:51 PM
"Owned"

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
I hope they just make new Pokemon games in lieu of Donkey Kong. Retire the character, he's not relevant. Actually, just make Donkey Kong a Pokemon

Old 31st March 2020, 07:15 PM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
Not enough monkeys.

Never enough monkeys.

Old 1st April 2020, 07:10 PM

Honestly, Nintendo should've let Rare keep Lanky, Tiny, and Chunky instead of trading for the Banjo-Kazooie IP. They really got screwed on that deal. It's not like Microsoft/Xbox would've used those Kongs for anything. They barely touched Banjo.

EDIT: Playing Tropical Freeze on hard mode now. It's as fun as I remembered. I'm glad I can finally play as Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky without having to choose co-op and kill Donkey.

Last edited by Mandolin; 8th April 2020 at 11:40 PM.

Old 16th May 2021, 03:35 AM

Dunno if you guys heard, but internet scuttlebutt says there's a new Donkey Kong game coming from EPD Tokyo. This rumor only went mainstream recently, but I've been hearing about it for over a year from connected types over on DK Vine and SmashBoards.

Everyone is reporting that the game comes from "the Mario Odyssey team," but that's not actually true. The Mario Odyssey team is part of EPD Tokyo, but this DK game allegedly comes from a brand-new team that was put together specifically to manage the DK IP. Which is great news if you want to get more than one DK game per decade.

The rumor says the game is a 2D/2.5D platformer, that "Diddy, Cranky and the Kremling Krew" should all be returning and that the game will likely be announced at E3 this year. There's been much bitching and moaning over the first part in places like ResetEra, but I couldn't be happier. I generally enjoy 2D platformers more than 3D, and I sure could use more of them with AAA production values like Tropical Freeze.

Discuss. (Also, sorry about the double post.)

Tags
donkey kong, donkey kong country, nintendo

User Tag List