Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 2nd April 2008, 01:42 AM
Clanker

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
The Mother series is amazing. Ever play any of the Final Fantasy games on the SNES? They essentially dominated the RPG genre back then and standardized having dragons and swords and all that. Mother came in with the intent to break all that. It's not a deep or complex RPG by any means, but it strives to be simplistic and fun with a lot of charm added on. I don't really compare it to other RPG's because it's so left field in comparison.

The plot on Mother II (I'm pretty sure that's the one on the trial) is pretty simplistic. It's the typical battle between a person on Earth VS an alien armada with a mysterious unknown leader. It might not seem like much from that, but the events in the game play out very well. There's also some very strange stuff in the final part of the game that's (SPOILERS) interesting to think about.

Last edited by Gruntling; 2nd April 2008 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Fixed first incomplete post.

Old 2nd April 2008, 01:47 AM
The Last Gunslinger

INFECTED - B1K1 
Also, Porky (or Pokey as I think he is really named), is from that too as well, right? Is that what that giant stone Big Boy looking thing that chases you in that level of Brawl is from? I thought that was from those games, but I just wasn't sure. Kinda' like how Fox and Diddy fought Rayquaza, something from another series.

Old 2nd April 2008, 01:53 AM
Clanker

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duker View Post
Also, Porky (or Pokey as I think he is really named), is from that too as well, right? Is that what that giant stone Big Boy looking thing that chases you in that level of Brawl is from? I thought that was from those games, but I just wasn't sure. Kinda' like how Fox and Diddy fought Rayquaza, something from another series.
Spoiler: (highlight to view)
Pokey is in Mother II and Mother III. He's not the main antagonist in Mother II but he's still incredibly annoying as some strange side-kick to Giygas. The boss in Brawl is how he appears in Mother III. If you're curious on Mother I, Giygas appears as the main villian and returns again in Mother II.

Old 2nd April 2008, 08:18 PM
Most Underappreciated Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 3 Participation Award 
I absolutely love the Earthbound/Mother games. Though, I've only played Earthbound/Mother 2. I only found out about it through Smash Bros. 64, since I was curious from where Ness came from. Then, I bought myself my favorite game for me SNES.

I plan on having a play through of Earthbound Zero/Mother once I'm done my second playthrough of EB. (And Mother 3 once the awesome fan translation is done)

Old 2nd April 2008, 08:19 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 15
Mystery Four Mystery Three Mystery Two Mystery One INFECTED - B2K1 
You lots heard my Pollyanna mix yet?!
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 2nd April 2008, 09:12 PM
Formerly Nintendo_Fan128

INFECTED - B1K1 
I've always wanted to play Mother >_< When I grow up and have my own money, I'm gonna buy a SNES for Mother 1, Earthbound and Super Mario RPG on the internet (my mom doesn't want to buy stuff online... meh). Also, I'd buy a Game Boy for Super Mario Land, Wario Land 1 and Wario Land 2.

Old 2nd April 2008, 10:06 PM
Brash Breegull

INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
The games are some of the best I've ever played, and the best RPGs I've ever played.

Old 2nd April 2008, 10:21 PM
Formerly SolarBoyMatt

INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
The Mother series is no doubt my favorite of all time! Sorry Banjo... You're in second though...

Personally, I think one the best things about the series is the fact that no matter how many times I play one of them again, I never get tired replaying them.

Old 3rd April 2008, 02:30 PM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 3
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo_Fan128 View Post
Wario Land 1 and Wario Land 2.
The best game boy games.Have great memories with those games

Don't be daft,wrap your shaft!

Old 3rd April 2008, 02:41 PM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 4
RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 7 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 2 Participation Award 
I'm on my first playthrough of Earthbound/Mother 2 right now. It's so much fun! I'm angry that Mother 3 isn't released in anywhere that isn't Japan, and there's no way I'd be able to play it in Japanese, so I'm waiting for the fan translation to be finished.

Old 3rd April 2008, 03:38 PM
Retired

Total Awards: 11
RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 Basic Forum Rules RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award 
I tried to play Earthbound once. I want that hour of my life back.

Old 3rd April 2008, 11:58 PM
Clanker

INFECTED - B1K1 
I see something strange happened to the thread and I'm suddenly topic owner.

The Mother 3 translation progress is great. They used to only update every now and then but now it happens almost everyday. I've been looking forward to Mother 3 for a while now. I've been avoiding what little spoilers I can since I already know most of the story since it's hard to not be spoiled after 10 years or so. The rolling bar system seems a lot better on Mother 3 IMO. You really couldn't strategize on not dying with it on Mother 2 since it seemed to fly by so fast. Maybe that was just me. Plus there's 8 spaces for the character names which is totally exploitable.

Old 4th April 2008, 12:58 AM
Formerly SolarBoyMatt

INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Actually that was added in by the translation. In the crazy moon language version you could only use 7 letters. And trust me, you'll love Mother 3. It's one my favorite games of all time and I can't read a word of it! That didn't stop me from beating it 3 times! I'd play through it again, but I'm waiting for the translation to be finished. But then what'll become of my Mother 3 cart? It'll just sit there collecting dust...

Old 4th April 2008, 02:29 AM
Ph.D

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarBoyMatt View Post
Actually that was added in by the translation. In the crazy moon language version you could only use 7 letters. And trust me, you'll love Mother 3. It's one my favorite games of all time and I can't read a word of it! That didn't stop me from beating it 3 times! I'd play through it again, but I'm waiting for the translation to be finished. But then what'll become of my Mother 3 cart? It'll just sit there collecting dust...
Do you need a Japanese GBA to play Japanese GBA games? If not, I may purchase Mother 3 and give it a whirl.

Old 4th April 2008, 02:54 AM
Lord of Games

Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablamooie View Post
Do you need a Japanese GBA to play Japanese GBA games? If not, I may purchase Mother 3 and give it a whirl.
GBAs work for games of all regions. So no, you don't need a JP GBA.

Tags
amazing series, awesome, earthbound, mother, overrated, pokey, porky

User Tag List