Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 11th February 2016, 11:20 PM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyNPC View Post
I took a look at Firewatch, and I think I've just now figured something out which has been bothering me for a good while now. Every time I play one of these kinds of games I have this odd sensation of deja vu, like there is something noticeably familiar about it and I can't quite tell from where. But now I finally understand. I'm playing the cutscene sections from Half-Life 2. All of these games are walking around while somebody talks to you, or being locked in a room while somebody talks to you. This is that "immersive" cutscene alternative that Half-Life 2 pioneered and it has not evolved at all.

Walking simulators are Half-Life 2 (or Portal) without the shooting parts.

Firewatch was okay, by the way.
I mean, that's only true if you completely disregard the narrative that a game is portraying. I've never understood this complaint about "walking simulators." It's a narrative focused game where the game play is used to introduce you to characters and tell a story. You already probably know whether you like that style or not, and it's ok if you don't enjoy it.

I really liked Firewatch, and this is coming from somebody that didn't have my mind blown by games like Gone Home or The Stanley Parable. It's one of the only games I've ever played where I genuinely cared about the characters, and I was in awe of the beauty of the game style.

(Also your Steam profile indicates you've never played Firewatch.)

Old 11th February 2016, 11:53 PM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 7
You're Appreciated! Imagination Game On Reminiscence Chatterbox 
I got MegaMan Legends off of PSN today and been playing it too.

Blep!!

Old 12th February 2016, 04:43 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nills View Post
Life is Strange took so many concepts that were brought to the table in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and made them good.
what about the sex monsters with big booty?

did it improve the sex monsters with big booty?

it's important, i gotta know

Old 12th February 2016, 10:41 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

luke fon fabre: "war is breaking out, political tensions are high, the world is collapsing into a sea of purple mud and toxic myst, my childhood friend's identity was previously put into question, we're fighting a guy on a floating chair, a vengeful general and the pope, and i still don't know what that other guy is even trying to do

guess i better get over to my mansion and give my mom a back rub for some quick cash"

Old 15th February 2016, 05:40 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

atelier annie is an incredibly simple, cute, and deeply satisfying game in the exact same way as recettear and rune factory and harvest moon and it freaking owns

Old 16th February 2016, 05:22 PM
Formerly Chilli

Total Awards: 8
Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
I had a thought waking up this morning -- why couldn't they have made Blastoise a Bowser clone for Smash Bros? You could alter some of the moves, and instead of fire he could use his Hydro Cannons. He does Rapid Spin like Bowser, could use Body Slam like Bowser, it would have been perfect.

I'm now really sad they missed this opportunity .

Old 16th February 2016, 06:43 PM
Mr. Pants

I just wanted to come in this thread and tell everyone that I FORGOT!!!!!!!!!!! how dope Hyrule Warriors is

I took a break from that game for a long time and wow it's just so fun to me compared to regular Dynasty Warriors, and its not even just the Zelda fanservice, but just the mechanics and the maps and HOW GORGEOUS EVERYONE LOOKS like seriously what the **** why do I want to bang everybody

Also the fact that they brought back my wife, Midna (as evidenced by my current avatar) made me really excited AND she's dope... if you have a Wii U and you still dont have this game yet... make the right decision

I'm definitely getting the 3DS version so I can play this shit on the go

Old 17th February 2016, 06:10 AM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
I'm playing the original XCOM: UFO Defense, since there's a new XCOM game now. Despite all I've heard about it, it actually feels very fair in terms of difficulty. As long as you win more often than you lose then the game doesn't overly punish you. It's clear they balanced the game to be played ironman rather than through save-scumming, which is rare for strategy games and RPGs of that era.

Also I'm a total hypocrite for complaining about meme localizations since I worked "ayy lmao" into all my base names.

Old 17th February 2016, 07:43 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Tales of the Abyss has some little problems, but goddamn, the characters are not one of them. I'm entering act 3 and probably one of the coolest things about its character writing is that it's using this as an opportunity to show that while Luke's developed into a person who's willing to fight for others, he isn't a person who knows how to live on his own, or really find anything to do with his life when he doesn't have any great evil to fight or a traveling party of friends to talk to.

Last edited by The Colonel; 17th February 2016 at 07:45 AM.

Old 17th February 2016, 03:27 PM
Humba Wumba

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
I keep playing Amplitude(2015) when I turn on the PS4 meaning to play Resident Evil. The music selection isn't the best but damn if the gameplay isn't satisfying.

Old 18th February 2016, 02:55 AM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
I guess the aliens learned what I was up to and have stopped carrying their magic space rocks which I like to loot and make power armor with. Fortunately the government is just fine with providing me with wave after wave of cannon-fodder rookies to send off on suicide missions.

Old 18th February 2016, 03:14 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

i don't hate donkey kong 64 but i like the soundtrack of donkey kong 64 more

if you enjoy donkey kong 64 less than me, please cease playing donkey kong 64. i only just barely came through 101%

Old 18th February 2016, 04:10 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

you know, i think what the one ex-rare ware dude said during the blast corps speedrun at agdq kind of explains why all of rare's games sort of have that ingrained into their design. according to him, the reason blast corps and jet force gemini had so much stuff in them was because they were designed for kids who only really ever got to buy games on a rare occasion cause that shit was so pricey at the time.

the thing is that in the case of donkey kong 64, they focused so hard on having all that much content but the design of it was so messy, they didn't actually make much of it worthwhile. banjo-tooie has a whole ton of unique challenges and areas of its massive worlds to explore, perfect dark has the extra difficulties that change up the missions and the unlockable new missions after that, but donkey kong 64 just kind of has a lot of things in it and when it runs out of things it repeats those things.

Old 18th February 2016, 09:53 AM
Lord of Games

Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Tales of the Abyss has some little problems, but goddamn, the characters are not one of them. I'm entering act 3 and probably one of the coolest things about its character writing is that it's using this as an opportunity to show that while Luke's developed into a person who's willing to fight for others, he isn't a person who knows how to live on his own, or really find anything to do with his life when he doesn't have any great evil to fight or a traveling party of friends to talk to.
The writing has a lot of problems, there's way too much exposition and techno-babble, and that really drags the game down and is probably the biggest flaw overall. But man, the actual story and characters are so good. It'd easily be my favorite Tales game if not for all the other issues.

Old 19th February 2016, 01:31 AM
Funniest Member ('13 - '14)

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Guacamelee is fun as hell. Not a fan of the forced memes but some of the humor's ok

User Tag List