Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > The Banjo Kazooie Series

The Banjo Kazooie Series General Discussion about the Banjo Kazooie series from the N64 classics to the handheld sequels & new Xbox games.

Old 30th August 2015, 10:14 PM
Glowbo

Banjo-Tooie Glitch Guide

I've been meaning to write a guide on the Delayed Cutscene Warp in Banjo-Tooie for a while, and I figured RWP would be the best place to post it. Since I found another really cool glitch recently, I decided to include it as well. If you haven't been keeping up with Banjo-Tooie glitches, you're in for a treat - these are the two best glitches I know in this game.

First Person Platforming & Shooting

This trick allows you walk and jump around in first person mode and shoot eggs at the same time. (I don't know if it works in the XBLA / Rare Replay versions because I don't have those; someone who has them should try it out)

The first method is extremely easy, but it only works in Wumba's Wigwam. Knock yourself into the pool using a grenade or a clockwork. After you transform, the C-up button will work anytime, even when you're in the middle of a jump or an attack. Press C-up while not standing still and... welcome to Goldeneye. Well, not quite. Pressing up or down will cause you to walk forward, and pressing right or left will do the same plus turning. However, when you're in mid-air or in the Talon Trot sliding animation, the joystick position is the direction you're going, so this first person mode can be pretty awkward to handle.

The other method works in places that are more interesting to mess around with, but it requires some timing. Start a cutscene during the short sinking animation from falling into water. You can use the Jinjo gate closing cutscene in Terrydactyland, for instance. Other cutscenes may not play more than once per file, so make sure to copy your file before trying this.

Videos:
Wumba pool method featuring egg-shooting transformations
Splash method featuring split up weirdness and second person shooting
Double clockworks and other shenanigans

Delayed Cutscene Warp

This glitch allows you to warp to pretty much any place in the game, but it can only be done once per file. (I think I've heard it works on XBLA.) Before setting it up, you should start a new file. In this "playthrough", you will want to collect a decent amount of notes to get moves for certain glitches, or just to test random things.

Make your way to the code chamber to activate Jiggywiggy Special and Super Banjo. Then head to Glitter Gulch Mine and blow up the rocks in Fuel Depot using the detonator. Proceed to hit the Saucer of Peril switch in Witchyworld. The game will autosave and load Fuel Depot to play the cutscene of the Saucer of Peril entering Witchyworld. Reset the game during this cutscene. From now on, you should not enter Fuel Depot before backing up your file.

Continue collecting notes and getting moves until you think you've got what you need. Then copy your file to test the glitch. I prefer having the permanent backup in file 2 and copying it to file 1 for testing. Make sure to never delete your backup file or enter Fuel Depot in it, otherwise you may have to start the whole setup process again.

Now here's how the glitch works: Banjo-Tooie always keeps track of the last map where a cutscene played. When you enter Fuel Depot, the game will send you to that map right after showing the Saucer of Peril cutscene. With this knowledge, you can access a lot places you're not supposed to reach early in the game, without certain moves, or with solo Banjo or solo Kazooie. Use replay mode, multiplayer, or a game file to watch a cutscene somewhere, then use your DCW file to warp there.

I have a spreadsheet with all the results from title demos, multiplayer, and replay mode. It's not fully up to date, but it's good enough to serve as an overview of the main menu implications.

A few videos showcasing DCW and its applications:
The original DCW video, including the setup and some music oddities
Hybrid Banjo-Kazooie, a major offshoot of DCW
Triple Banjo (uses hybrid BK)
SGDQ run beating the game with 14 jiggies and 315 notes (I'm sure most of you have already seen it)

There is another cool effect that isn't seen - or heard - in any YouTube videos. If you warp to a place where you instantly gain control (without having to watch a cutscene like in boss fights) and then enter another map, all variations of the current level theme will be playing simultaneously. The results tend to sound messy, but Cauldron Keep actually sounds very good. The effect will wear off as soon as you start a cutscene.

In other news, a few weeks ago a glitch was found in Banjo-Kazooie, which - when combined with some sequence breaking - allows you to beat the game with 33 jiggies. If there is some interest, I may post a guide on it some time.

Last edited by Exchord; 18th September 2015 at 11:22 PM.

Old 30th August 2015, 11:16 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 17
You're Appreciated! Mystery Four Mystery One Thread Starter Imagination 
I love these glitches... post more!

Buterflies are insex. ~TwilightVestige

Old 31st August 2015, 05:12 AM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
This is great! Do you mind if we republish this on the site, with credit of course?

Old 31st August 2015, 04:43 PM
Glowbo

Sure, you can do that. The first person glitch was found by me and DCW was found by Cronikeys, though I'm credited for figuring out how to warp to different places.

Old 18th September 2015, 11:18 PM
Glowbo

Here's some more stuff:

Targitzan's Temple in third person mode
Clinker's Cavern in third person mode
Mini-Sub Challenge without the sub
Multiplayer maps in adventure mode

Old 19th September 2015, 12:25 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 17
You're Appreciated! Mystery Four Mystery One Thread Starter Imagination 
Just... amazing...